List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Next year we will be well positioned to pick up a very good player with the amount of players who could well be out the door through retirement or de-listed.
Geary , Ryder , Roberton , Frawley , McKernan and players like Dunstan , Carlisle , Lonie , Ross , Kent , Joyce all off contract - none of these are on massive money but it leaves more than enough room to bring in another A level player and of course any extra cash will be used for re - contracting players we need to keep.

Next year we will be well positioned to pick up a very good player with the amount of players who could well be out the door through retirement or de-listed.
Geary , Ryder , Roberton , Frawley , McKernan and players like Dunstan , Carlisle , Lonie , Ross , Kent , Joyce all off contract - none of these are on massive money but it leaves more than enough room to bring in another A level player and of course any extra cash will be used for re - contracting players we need to keep.
Hopefully Carlilse and Ross have great years and we want to keep them

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
The above reasons are why I want us to target Jackson Callow in the draft, a more solid Josh Battle, which we all know can play either end of the ground. Because of Mings building tank I’d probably throw him to CHF & put Callow in the goal square.
Besides another Jack in the side wouldn’t go astray.
Just a news story on him on channel 9 news.
Nice mover, big lump of a lad

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Adelaide picked up former Brisbane player Mitch Hinge
So a bloke that was retired and a bloke no one has heard of - maybe clubs are gonna wait till the 2nd DFA period. I can't believe that no one wants Sav.

If it ends up as Pick 8 for Saad and Savage can't get a contract - its absolute confirmation that 2020 was a very strange year!!!

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
They might be displeased, but noone else wanted them. If they tmwant more years or $$$ they obviously have to work harder.

I think big Jake has pulled his weight...despite the rumours about attitude, or personality clash with Ratts. I think the problem with his contract is related to his underlying back issues. It makes him a year on year proposition, although no doubt he's taken a pay cut this contract. Lonie is a victim of circumstance...he's small and not overly fast...Butler, Gresh & possibly Higgins (if as good as some think) are more the full package. He is a clever player though...and applies pressure...and in my opinion is a better player than Kent. I'm happy he signed on, but yeah, it's up to him to own his spot.

I think big Jake has pulled his weight...despite the rumours about attitude, or personality clash with Ratts. I think the problem with his contract is related to his underlying back issues. It makes him a year on year proposition, although no doubt he's taken a pay cut this contract. Lonie is a victim of circumstance...he's small and not overly fast...Butler, Gresh & possibly Higgins (if as good as some think) are more the full package. He is a clever player though...and applies pressure...and in my opinion is a better player than Kent. I'm happy he signed on, but yeah, it's up to him to own his spot.

I agree, i think Lonie is better than Kent.

Lonie at times is quite selfish in terms of going for me call or doing the team thing. One game this year he did the self ish thing. He got dropped a for a couple of weeks or more, came back and was a different player.

Saintsydney

Senior List
Nov 29, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
There was a single poster saying his training levels weren't good enough.
Outside of that, nothing.

I was disappointed to see him go - not really knowing much about him apart from people saying he moved very well - then I had to remind myself he was a rookie pick - more often than not there is good reason rookie picks weren't drafted on to a main list - there will be exceptions and we always hope for that - but rookies are not seen as being as good as the guys who go in the main draft

i know its 2 months late but was wondering if anyone had inside word on why jack bell was let go after 1 year? the kid had talent?

I think it was just list size reduction. He's super thin and project ruckmen take a long time. He looked promising to me. I can see him getting another go in a few years after building his body up.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
I think it was just list size reduction. He's super thin and project ruckmen take a long time. He looked promising to me. I can see him getting another go in a few years after building his body up.
Well Alabaskis must have come on. Admittedly a big lump, but had extremely limited football nous and skill from what I saw at training.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Lonie at times is quite selfish in terms of going for me call or doing the team thing. One game this year he did the self ish thing. He got dropped a for a couple of weeks or more, came back and was a different player.

The selfish stuff is such a load of BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well Alabaskis must have come on. Admittedly a big lump, but had extremely limited football nous and skill from what I saw at training.

Bell has Alabakis covered in all aspects ....suprised with the release of Bell myself .

Big Sam had a contract already for next year , could‘nt play in senior team at lower level competition
wasn’t good enough.

As have said before think Gags has done a great job overall , but the McKenzie contract extension
& the unnecessary contract extension for Geary at the time for me are mistakes in hindsight.

We could have picked another young delisted Free Agent and rookie listed Geary ,spoken
to others connected with the club they felt it was disrespectful, I didn’t .

Yeah, he was lucky.

We could have picked another young delisted Free Agent and rookie listed Geary ,spoken
to others connected with the club they felt it was disrespectful, I didn’t .

I, for one, agree with the club.
Gears has one more year and I think it would have been very disrespectful of them to put him on the rookie list.
We are better than that.

I, for one, agree with the club.
Gears has one more year and I think it would have been very disrespectful of them to put him on the rookie list.
We are better than that.

I think it's the culture setter factor that gets him another year. We have been to a few club events and from observing Geary from a distance, he really seems to have an ability to be on the same level with all the players over every age group, even in the Bruce, Newnes era of isolated cliques. His contribution is probably what he gives outside of footy as much as on field.

He's also an exemplary trainer so sets levels of expectation. To me I hope he doesn't play 23 games next year but I can see the logic in keeping him as well. We have an unusually large contingent of players from other clubs so risk losing some of the passion for the jumper with out his type of heart and soul attachment.

There would be some romance to the little battler holding up a premiership cup too. He's almost the ideal person to do it as far as he's earned everything he's ever achieved the hard way. It would be a beautiful story, the little pack donkey winning the Melbourne cup.

Roddy Grant

Tier 5 ITK - formerly Indie Rock
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jan 24, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

I reckon it’s a great move by us, 1 year with triggers meaning if Carlisle wants to prolong his career then he has to be at his best. Always felt with Carlisle more than most that he was much better towards the end of his deal.

He was great towards the end of the year for us, I’m sure it was partly as he wanted us to go deeper into finals but he was also playing for a contract so wanting to up his value for us and to show other clubs what he has got.

An in form Jake is a huge asset to the team.

He is a small forward one of the hardest positions on the ground, I think you need to be a little selfish to play the spot well
Dammed if you dammed if you don't, you can do 20 pressure acts but if you don't kick a goal thats what people will look at

The selfish stuff is such a load of BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah i saw it on the field In one game, and then he didn't get a game again for a couple of weeks or more. People on here also noticed it.

Back