Thoughts on hotel quarantine coming back. Can we trust it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't trust anything after seeing how this goes around the world, eventually a case will slip through the cracks and we just need to then manage/limit the damage.

I do feel however since the debacle of last time, Victoria will ensure that the quarantine/contact tracing/ strict protocols are followed. The same mistakes won't be made again or heads would roll. I expect much stronger levels on control. That doesn't mean 0 cases ever again, but it should not blow out to a "third wave".

I agree as long as its strictly managed we should be better off. And less cases out in the wild

The management team is the same with a few new draftees. Keep your fingers crossed.

The hotel itself isn't the problem, it's the campaigners running it. And the civil libertarian bullshit that allows people to leave for exercise etc while in quarantine (seriously wtf).

Everyone arriving shoukd be in hard quarantine until it's shown they don't have it, so at least a week with multiple tests. The security and staff should be live in on 2 week or whatever length shifts. Idgaf whether that's in a hotel or a purpose made facility, it's just about how it's run.

I saw a meme today " I look both ways crossing a one way street, that's how much faith i have in humanity"....Never trust anyone, never trust any politician or Government official, never listen to anything any mad Hollywood person has to say and above all never ever take notice of what the media tell you because if you do, you can expect a whole world of hurt. Dan the man has his own agenda...he's just better than most at putting it over, the king of the brainwashing overlord!

The system appears much better prepared than it was in June. Security guards working exclusively for the government, and contact traced ahead of time. The entire contact tracing system is much better prepared. It also appears that the virus is much easier to control in hotter weather, as evidenced by Europe and the US being able to be fairly open with cases staying reasonably constant. I can’t say there won’t be another outbreak, but I’d be incredibly surprised if it got right out of hand again. Now we are at 0, as soon as we find a case anywhere we know there’s an issue and can act on it. It won’t get to 100 cases before action is taken again.
I still wish it was away from a major city.

I don't trust anything after seeing how this goes around the world, eventually a case will slip through the cracks and we just need to then manage/limit the damage.

I do feel however since the debacle of last time, Victoria will ensure that the quarantine/contact tracing/ strict protocols are followed. The same mistakes won't be made again or heads would roll. I expect much stronger levels on control. That doesn't mean 0 cases ever again, but it should not blow out to a "third wave".

a case will slip through the cracks and we just need to then manage/limit the damage.
Thats the experience around Aus whilst Vic has been dealing with its own problems, any problem will see heat on Vic.

I expect much stronger levels on control.
You are right that does not equate to 0 cases but I'm not sure people really understand that. My concern is that there is leadership & clear understanding of responsibility.
The malaise surrounding decision making is across the Vic public service as seen in the VicPol Lawyer X Royal Commission (to be released Monday 30.11 & the Hotel Quarantine Inquiry involving the DHHS, DJRP, EMV, & yet again VicPol.

Lets hope the management is transparent this time.

The management team is the same with a few new draftees. Keep your fingers crossed.

there was no onsite management before. that, plus vicpol on site 24/7 (instead of a phone call away), FIFO workers living onsite, and 24/7 onsite health care will make a big difference imo

I saw a meme today " I look both ways crossing a one way street, that's how much faith i have in humanity"....Never trust anyone, never trust any politician or Government official, never listen to anything any mad Hollywood person has to say and above all never ever take notice of what the media tell you because if you do, you can expect a whole world of hurt. Dan the man has his own agenda...he's just better than most at putting it over, the king of the brainwashing overlord!

You forgot to say "do your research!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you! :)

I have a bug in my head. The government put it there.
Free thought in Victoria is now a myth, rumour has it that millennials wish to further restrict speech in the name of stopping hate speech and other dangerous expression. What will we be able to say? What will we be able to do? If there's one thing Government bodies like, it's control. Who wants to be the unwitting steel ball in the giant pinball machine of life with Dan the Man operating the paddles? Then again Victorians love him, the brainwashing is complete...

Should have been mass repatriating all stranded Aussies into Melbourne whilst it was in lockdown.
All the hotels are empty, send the defence forces in to control it, and with everyone already in lockdown
chance of any new outbreaks are minimal.

What exactly is having Vicpol there going to achieve? They can arrest someone who tries to skip quarantine?

Yes

That was the issue with the original arrangement. Guards had no power to detain. All they could do was call VicPol who would drop by.

Their attitude of "we are not ******* babysitters" was a big part of why this set up happened

Yes

That was the issue with the original arrangement. Guards had no power to detain. All they could do was call VicPol who would drop by.

Their attitude of "we are not ******* babysitters" was a big part of why this set up happened

Ok thanks for the clarification mate.

Correct they are not ******* babysitters they are ******** bullies.

Need to take a page out of NZs system.
The closest quarrantine hotel to a cbd is over an hour from Wellington airport.

Creates employment oppotunities in remote and rural areas, and It stops a major outbreak occurring in overly populated areas

Need to take a page out of NZs system.
The closest quarrantine hotel to a cbd is over an hour from Wellington airport.

Creates employment oppotunities in remote and rural areas, and It stops a major outbreak occurring in overly populated areas

access to emergency health is a major consideration, and a reason why options like Woomera have been ruled out

Surely there's options out past Geelong, Ballarat/Bendigo, and parts of gippsland?

that can house 5000 people in one go?

remember we have a "baby" launch at 1100 a week. thats 2200-2500 in quarantineat anyone time (as some who are infected will take longer than 2 weeks to get a neg test).

Uni's are not an option (as they will be gearing to house international students when they return), and we dont have the kind of mining camps wa/nt/qld have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back