Remove this Banner Ad

Check out Leigh Mathews stats, I think 1977 is the best one
Quite a few decent games 1977:

37 disp/5goals
38 disp/7goals
37 disp/7goals
33 disp/7goals
30 disp/5goals

30+/5+ is a once on a career game for most. Dangerfield has 1, Michael Walters as well. Not sure anybody else going around at the moment. Ablett Snr. did it 3 times over his career, Wayne Carey and Dane Swan once. Judd, Ablett jnr, Martin never, to add a few names.

Matthew went close nearly every week that year.

Definitely Dustin Martin's 2017 season, which was possibly the most dominant individual season ever played considering he wasn't a stay-at-home full forward in an era of crude defensive strategies.

1. Brownlow medal with record votes. The highest individual award in the Australian game.

2. Coaches' Association Champion Player Award (some consider this the Brownlow's 'more accurate' cousin)

3. AFL Players MVP award. Prone to hype bias, but this still means his peers voted him the best.

4. Gary Ayres Award for player of the finals series. Finals performances carry a far greater weight than non-finals in terms of difficulty and reputation.

5. Premiership medallion. Not an individual award but I doubt Richmond could have won it without Martin.

6. Norm Smith Medal, becoming the first man ever to win a Brownlow and a Normie in the same season. Many players and fans would give up a Brownlow or even two for a Normie, such is the greatness of being the best player in the most important game.

7. Club best-and-fairest, just to top it off casually.

This is the one the OP was waiting for.
I knew it, you knew it, he knows it, WE ALL f*n KNOW IT :sick:

37 disp/5goals
38 disp/7goals
37 disp/7goals
33 disp/7goals
30 disp/5goals

30+/5+ is a once on a career game for most. Dangerfield has 1, Michael Walters as well. Not sure anybody else going around at the moment. Ablett Snr. did it 3 times over his career, Wayne Carey and Dane Swan once. Judd, Ablett jnr, Martin never, to add a few names.

Despite his dominance, the umpires somehow only gave him 34 votes with 9 BOGs (2 umpires voted in that year, so essentially 17 votes and 4.5 BOGs).

Matthews averaged 27.4 disposals and 3.8 goals. Teasdale averaged 16.8 dispoals and 1.7 goals yet nearly doubled Matthews Brownlow vote tally.

You'd assume those 10 hitouts a game from Teasdale were 100m punches to his full forward from the centre

37 disp/5goals
38 disp/7goals
37 disp/7goals
33 disp/7goals
30 disp/5goals

Robbie Gray had 30 and 6 in Round 2, 2017.

Definitely Dustin Martin's 2017 season, which was possibly the most dominant individual season ever played considering he wasn't a stay-at-home full forward in an era of crude defensive strategies.

1. Brownlow medal with record votes. The highest individual award in the Australian game.

2. Coaches' Association Champion Player Award (some consider this the Brownlow's 'more accurate' cousin)

3. AFL Players MVP award. Prone to hype bias, but this still means his peers voted him the best.

4. Gary Ayres Award for player of the finals series. Finals performances carry a far greater weight than non-finals in terms of difficulty and reputation.

5. Premiership medallion. Not an individual award but I doubt Richmond could have won it without Martin.

6. Norm Smith Medal, becoming the first man ever to win a Brownlow and a Normie in the same season. Many players and fans would give up a Brownlow or even two for a Normie, such is the greatness of being the best player in the most important game.

7. Club best-and-fairest, just to top it off casually.

Go look up Leigh Matthews 1977 for the best individual season ever.

Robbie Gray had 30 and 6 in Round 2, 2017.
Ok. Missed him.

Luke Parker had 31/5 as well. And Jeremy Cameron 30/7.

It's still the truth in my opinion though

You just fed the Tiger Army... It's what every thread a Richmond supporter has started in the last 4 years is about, milking the recognition they feel starved of.

They don't care if it takes up space, if it grows into a 400 page behemoth they lose control of, so long as they can skim thru and cherry pick the salivating comments that praise their club or players.

You people are like bears to honey..

37 disp/5goals
38 disp/7goals
37 disp/7goals
33 disp/7goals
30 disp/5goals

They really are some incredible stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

37 disp/5goals
38 disp/7goals
37 disp/7goals
33 disp/7goals
30 disp/5goals

WOW! How the hell didn't he win the Brownlow and every other award going that year?

Gary Ablett Jnr 2010

31.5 possessions per game and kick 44 goals

Not bad considering his coke head of a coach would lump him in a FP for long spells because of his refusal to sign a new contract

Graham Moss - 1976
Stephen Michael - 1981

In the AFL era.

Dustin Martin - 2017
If Martins 2017 is the best ever then Dangers 2017 has to be second

If he didn't miss the game suspended he potentially draws level in the brownlow and wins the AFLCA award too

WOW! How the hell didn't he win the Brownlow and every other award going that year?

It happens. Plenty of players had great seasons before and after that for whatever reason get overlooked.

Gary Ablett managed to kick 10 goals against Adelaide (in a losing team no less) and not poll a single vote. There were games in 1989 he didn't get votes in either. Mindboggling in retrospect.

That said, sometimes great seasons do get recognised.

One that hasn't been mentioned yet - Kelvin Templeton in 1980.

75 goals from centre half forward in a team that finished last. In hindsight it's a miracle he won the Brownlow, no chance that could happen now.

Gary Ablett Jnr 2010

31.5 possessions per game and kick 44 goals

Not bad considering his coke head of a coach would lump him in a FP for long spells because of his refusal to sign a new contract

Yep, and you would be amazed how many Geelong supporters were quick to denigrate him too because he left. Complete with the utterly insane blaming him for the Prelim final loss because he got 40 touches while overlooking how inept all his teammates were. Not the first time he was head and shoulders our best in a loss either.

One of the truly great unrecognised seasons.

You just fed the Tiger Army... It's what every thread a Richmond supporter has started in the last 4 years is about, milking the recognition they feel starved of.

They don't care if it takes up space, if it grows into a 400 page behemoth they lose control of, so long as they can skim thru and cherry pick the salivating comments that praise their club or players.

You people are like bears to honey..

guilty

keep feeding me peasants

One that hasn't been mentioned yet - Kelvin Templeton in 1980.

75 goals from centre half forward in a team that finished last. In hindsight it's a miracle he won the Brownlow, no chance that could happen now.

Not quite last but near enough. KT was an absolute champion who played in very putrid sides for all his career. I'd have him in top 5 of all time.

If Martins 2017 is the best ever then Dangers 2017 has to be second

If he didn't miss the game suspended he potentially draws level in the brownlow and wins the AFLCA award too

I think Martin's season is only considered the way it is due to the fact that he won all the awards. It is the season with the most number of accolades of all time rather than the greatest season IMO. Many people have trouble separating the two but not all awards are equal. For example, Martin's performance in the Grand Final was very good but would not have won the Norm Smith in many other seasons. Similarly, his home and away year was excellent but no where near one of the greatest of all time (in fact, until a late season suspension - most had Dangerfield as the Brownlow favourite and No 1 that year)

Ablett in 2010, Buddy in 2008, Judd in 2004, Kouta in 2000 and many other seasons were at a higher level IMO.

I'm trying to step aside from the Dusty 2017 for mine, objectively a year that has never been equaled before.

I'm too young to remember the Ablett SNR, Matthews, Dunstall, types, I was only born in 1990. I'm reluctant to just tag in all the 100+ goal season given that was relatively regular from a variety of players through the 80s and 90s up to the early 00s where it happened with some frequency. Those players would not be kicking 100 goals a game now in the modern game under current ways the game is played.

From those I remember, surely GAJs period from 07-2010 would have a couple of nominations. Sublime in that period and clearly the best player in the game in that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back