List Mgmt. 2020 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Part 1

The thread is continued in part 2:

I wonder whether Switta will ever play again for us?

It's going to be interesting how we make up the forward line.
Tabs, Lobb and Fyfe is not something that will keep the ball in when it hits the ground.

Schultz and Crowden is a bit one paced.
Henry and Walters? not really pacy either.

Something like the three talls with Henry, Walters and Durdin would work...We also have Sturt to shoe horn in there

That is why I think that Frederick has to play forward; he has the pace and agility to get forward. Henry is not too slow either (He came in in testing as 3 seconds flat at the combine last year for 20m sprint but that was with injured knee cap and his football brain often gets him ahead of others) and Sturt is also very fast as well (Sub 2.9seconds from memory) but I think that pace will be out on a lead not crumbing.

I don't have an issue with taking Carroll but am expecting some better players to still be on the board at that point. Henry (this year's version) is a medium forward with pace that may be an option at the first pick. I think there is also a chance we get Western who will start as a forward and is very fast, albeit not a great kick or big goal kicker.

That is why I think that Frederick has to play forward; he has the pace and agility to get forward. Henry is not too slow either (He came in in testing as 3 seconds flat at the combine last year for 20m sprint but that was with injured knee cap and his football brain often gets him ahead of others) and Sturt is also very fast as well (Sub 2.9seconds from memory) but I think that pace will be out on a lead not crumbing.

I don't have an issue with taking Carroll but am expecting some better players to still be on the board at that point. Henry (this year's version) is a medium forward with pace that may be an option at the first pick. I think there is also a chance we get Western who will start as a forward and is very fast, albeit not a great kick or big goal kicker.

Western’s kicking on the run is pretty good from what I’ve seen. Set shots I’m not sure on.

Sturt + Frederick = SPEED Barry Allen style

Western’s kicking on the run is pretty good from what I’ve seen. Set shots I’m not sure on.

He is what I would call neat; kicks fine under no pressure and I think set shots would also be fine also (has a clean action for it) but under pressure it can get a bit messy.

That is a good point, but we are talking about three of the top ten, probably top five, contested marks in the competition.

Speed at their feet and backing them to take a mark could work out.
That is the simplest forward plan, and the one best suited to our current players.

I wonder if we will use it.

Not sure about that. The landscape for 2021 seems to be to have 2 very good KPFs if you want to play even a Prelim.

The top teams next year will be:
Richmond: Reiwoldt and Lynch
Geelong: Hawkins and Cameron
Eagles: Darling and Kennedy (Allen)
Brisbane: Hipwood and Daniher (McStay)
Port: Dixon and Marshall

Bulldogs have known this and are chasing their tail a bit trying to get them: Boyd, Schache and Bruce were all brought in to fill that need, but the reality is that going forward their best bet is Naughton (draft)

Teams likely to struggle
Adelaide: Himmelberg? and whoever the poor 18 year old is they take at Pick 1.
Essendon: Stewart? Wright?
North: Larkey and nobody
Sydney: ??? I suppose you could say Franklin and Reid, but I don't think either will play 22 games again.
Hawks: Patton (if fit), Lewis

There's definitely a pattern.
Cats with Cameron and Hawkins hasn't even started.
Eagles were knocked out by the Magpies at home.
Lions same as the Cats.
Port ???? Dixon great but Marshall?

I've teams in past who didn't have great tall forwards still were able to win flags.

Saints did ok with an immature King plus a resting ruck and an undersized Membrey.

Collingwood had Cox and Mihocek.

Getting back to the point, if we can land a tall forward without reaching then that is the ideal.

But life is never ideal and you do the best with the hand you have been given.

We have pick 12 is this. Get the best player and if that is a tall, then all good.

The competition was on average shorter when those guys played. Particularly Mainwaring. No one would have observed at draft time that Kerr was short for a contemporary midfielder (exactly 20 years ago). Whereas Serong, at the same precise height, most definitely was called short.

The constant binary argument about height is grating. Surely it's obvious: height is not a bar to success, but an equally talented taller player will be more effective = less short players.
Neale at 177cm is too small to play AFL?

I have only seen him in the colts GF but really reminded me of Danyle Pearce in his kicking.

I think Longmuir is the perfect coach for that type of player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have only seen him in the colts GF but really reminded me of Danyle Pearce in his kicking.

Danyle Pearce:eek: Long bombs into the forward 50 to no one in particular.

In all seriousness Dan was a good player for us, but towards the end his delivery into the forward line was very frustrating at times. However this may have been on instruction from Lyon so I should not be too harsh.

Yeah he was under pressure all day in that game and like Ysaye said, he’s not at his best under pressure but who is really? Just the elite few. What I did notice in that game was that his kicks had depth and penetration and got to where they were going quicker than any other kicker on the day, which is a massive advantage and quality to have.

Kicking is the least of his problems imo.

Hopefully we can get ahead of the game, and the player can all agree to take a pay cut.

Even thought is is a 9% reduction, when you consider list size reduction it is not that big.

he league’s decision not to apply universal pay cuts to the nine per cent salary reduction for 2021 has been widely panned by player managers and clubs.

List managers were desperate for any pay cut to be applied across the board so all players would be in the same boat.

Instead some players will only accept a 3.5 per cent pay cut in total but 8.5 per cent next year, meaning clubs must back-end five per cent of those deals into 2022-23.

It will result in club salary caps shrinking significantly in 2022-23 compared to next season, meaning players out of contract next year will have to accept smaller deals.

The only hope for the AFL’s 18 clubs is that the salary cap will increase by 2022, giving them breathing room.

The competition was on average shorter when those guys played. Particularly Mainwaring. No one would have observed at draft time that Kerr was short for a contemporary midfielder (exactly 20 years ago). Whereas Serong, at the same precise height, most definitely was called short.

The constant binary argument about height is grating. Surely it's obvious: height is not a bar to success, but an equally talented taller player will be more effective = less short players.
Agree. Chucked it out there for that very reason. Height is about the era, and who knows the tide might turn again. How tall can players get before everyone needs to be over 2m and no one can bend down to pick up the ball.
Polly Farmer was 191cm. Fyfe height, but the best ruck the game had seen when he played.
Stephen Michael 188cm - was an outstanding ruck and CHF. He’d be an average-size mid these days.
Maurice Rioli was 176cm, and a brilliant centreman. He’d be tucked in the FP now.
Even Pav and McPharlin were both only 192cm - not KPP height now.
Serious question - where would they be played these days?

Agree. Chucked it out there for that very reason. Height is about the era, and who knows the tide might turn again. How tall can players get before everyone needs to be over 2m and no one can bend down to pick up the ball.
Polly Farmer was 191cm. Fyfe height, but the best ruck the game had seen when he played.
Stephen Michael 188cm - was an outstanding ruck and CHF. He’d be an average-size mid these days.
Maurice Rioli was 176cm, and a brilliant centreman. He’d be tucked in the FP now.
I've always found it interesting that David Mundy, Matthew Pavlich and Ron Boucher are the same height (192cm) and Patrick Cripps is 3 cms taller than them.

• Farmer: Ruck Rover / Backup ruck / forward
  • Stephen Michael: Third Tall Forward / backup ruck
  • Rioli: Small forward as you pointout
  • Pavlich: More midfield like Bontempelli with stints forward
  • McPharlin: I thought McPharlin was 193-194cm? I still think he would be playing CHB.

FWIW Cripps as a RFA only, no 1st rounders to trade to CARLTON. Put a monster deal in front of him.

2 scenarios
1) is a top 4 finish in 2021/ 2022 is the only way I would reluctantly give two first round pick scenario eventuate ...

2) Carlton finish bottom 4 in 2021

so like I said .RFA or leave him at the blues.

• Farmer: Ruck Rover / Backup ruck / forward
  • Stephen Michael: Third Tall Forward / backup ruck
  • Rioli: Small forward as you pointout
  • Pavlich: More midfield like Bontempelli with stints forward
  • McPharlin: I thought McPharlin was 193-194cm? I still think he would be playing CHB.
  • Farmer - at 191cm I doubt back up ruck, but agree with RR, and 3rd tall.
  • Michael - at 188cm I’d have to disagree, he wouldn’t be a backup ruck. RR and third tall as per Polly. 188cm is Chris Mayne, Matt de Boer height. Brennan Cox is 194cm, and I’m pretty sure it’s fair to say, most of us here think he’s way undersized to be backup ruck, which thankfully he no longer needs to be.
  • Pavlich - agree, but he was much better as a forward, so maybe 3rd tall rotating through the middle.
  • McPharlin - checked on 3 different sites - all say 192cm, so imo short for CHB now. Such a good shut down defender, but also great intercept mark. Maybe go to the 3rd tall with licence to run off? He could be quite creative and accurate, even with his strange kicking action.
But strange to see Pav, Elvis, Mundy, Bont all 192cm, we played Alex Silvagni as a KPD at 191cm, Fyfe and Micky Barlow are 190cm. We had a monster midfield that other clubs were trying to emulate in the 2011-2016 era (except Lachie Neale at 177cm). It was around that time that the term ‘big-bodied midfielders’ became a general part of the footy vernacular.
Now Cripps, who would have probably been a ruck in the ‘80s, is a mid. Evolution, eh?

• Farmer - at 191cm I doubt back up ruck, but agree with RR, and 3rd tall.
  • Michael - at 188cm I’d have to disagree, he wouldn’t be a backup ruck. RR and third tall as per Polly. 188cm is Chris Mayne, Matt de Boer height. Brennan Cox is 194cm, and I’m pretty sure it’s fair to say, most of us here think he’s way undersized to be backup ruck, which thankfully he no longer needs to be.
  • Pavlich - agree, but he was much better as a forward, so maybe 3rd tall rotating through the middle.
  • McPharlin - checked on 3 different sites - all say 192cm, so imo short for CHB now. Such a good shut down defender, but also great intercept mark. Maybe go to the 3rd tall with licence to run off? He could be quite creative and accurate, even with his strange kicking action.
But strange to see Pav, Elvis, Mundy, Bont all 192cm, we played Alex Silvagni as a KPD at 191cm, Fyfe and Micky Barlow are 190cm. We had a monster midfield that other clubs were trying to emulate in the 2011-2016 era (except Lachie Neale at 177cm). It was around that time that the term ‘big-bodied midfielders’ became a general part of the footy vernacular.
Now Cripps, who would have probably been a ruck in the ‘80s, is a mid. Evolution, eh?
Interesting.

Also, Anthony Morobito is still only 29 years old - 6 years younger than David Mundy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back