Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
who’s career would you rather have Cupido‘s or Hardwicks?

Hardwick, obviously, but what's that got to do with anything?

I want to know why a guy who pulled games apart, including a clear BOG performance on ANZAC day, made players as good as David Wirrpunda look silly, and kicked 39 goals in a year (which is more in a single year than Caracalla who we traded him for ever kicked), is a running joke in the same breath as Ty Zantuck, recycled wash ups such as Camporeale or Allen and ironic cult heroes who never played a game.

Cupido clearly had issues with application which is why his career petered out as disappointingly as it did. If we could get him in exchange for the salary dump of a role player, which probably equates to a 4th round pick, would we not do it every year until a version of him gets his head in the game and becomes a superstar?

Tazdog

All Australian
Nov 8, 2015
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd be surprised if Ned Guy has a job by next year after the debacle this year.
To be fair, it was Bucks and Ed who pushed them out. Once you say you don't want a player publicly or want to get rid of them their value astronomically decreases. Yeah Ned could've gotten a little bit more for their players but he was under a severe amount of pressure to get rid of them at any cost. I personally don't think he could've done much more. Holding them to their contracts was simply not an option. Im glad it happened though because now Collingwood have lost 3-4 best 22 players for a pick in the teens in a shallow draft lololololololololololol

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
To be fair, it was Bucks and Ed who pushed them out. Once you say you don't want a player publicly or want to get rid of them their value astronomically decreases. Yeah Ned could've gotten a little bit more for their players but he was under a severe amount of pressure to get rid of them at any cost. I personally don't think he could've done much more. Holding them to their contracts was simply not an option. Im glad it happened though because now Collingwood have lost 3-4 best 22 players for a pick in the teens in a shallow draft lololololololololololol

It's very strange that they wont come out and just say that they loaded up for a flag between 2018 and 2020, which seems to be the best available explanation for them.

It's not necessary to overpay everyone to get that far but they were carrying a lot of players who could have been thought of as A grade during that period. GWS went through a similar problem.

They were dealt a particularly harsh hand this year with travel as COVID threw everything into chaos so there are plenty of ways to spin it.

That they wont give themselves what is an acceptable "out" tinged with a bit of mismanagement, instead choosing total mismanagement and publicly stabbing loyal players in the back is hard to understand tactically. Makes me wonder whether there is an even worse problem they are deflecting from. There have been rumours for a few years about their salary cap being over, for example. Maybe they did exceed and maybe it has been covered up. Can't come out and say "we cheated to win a flag" as that's a very different thing from being legally overleveraged but never actually breaking the rules.

Tazdog

All Australian
Nov 8, 2015
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
It's very strange that they wont come out and just say that they loaded up for a flag between 2018 and 2020, which seems to be the best available explanation for them.

It's not necessary to overpay everyone to get that far but they were carrying a lot of players who could have been thought of as A grade during that period. GWS went through a similar problem.

They were dealt a particularly harsh hand this year with travel as COVID threw everything into chaos.

That they wont give themselves what is an acceptable "out" tinged with a bit of mismanagement, instead choosing total mismanagement and publicly stabbing loyal players in the back is hard to understand tactically. Makes me wonder whether there is an even worse problem they are deflecting from. There have been rumours for a few years about their salary cap, for example.
And thats why they're the most hated club the afl. Lack integrity. This debacle couldn't have happened to a better club. Cheers lads xx

I won’t hear a bad word about Matthew Allen, Dean Cox used to go to Essendon and Carlton games and track his running patterns on a notepad so he could model his game on him, he’s the godfather

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I won’t hear a bad word about Matthew Allen, Dean Cox used to go to Essendon and Carlton games and track his running patterns on a notepad so he could model his game on him, he’s the godfather

Never heard that one before but the reality is that Allen was one of the early modern prototypes (there were previously freaks like Moore and Madden but they seemed to just be stand alone freaks) of the athletic follower that became Cox, Kreuzer, Goldstein, Martin and now Grundy.

Allen started getting knee troubles at the time he would otherwise have cashed in on a few seasons as the dominant ruckman of the competition in a similar way to Kouta being cut down just as he was really starting to take the piss out of the competition. Both good players but probably didn't not spend enough seasons as the top line players they could have been to be considered true greats of the game (Kouta) or at least their era (Allen).

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Hardwick, obviously, but what's that got to do with anything?

I want to know why a guy who pulled games apart, including a clear BOG performance on ANZAC day, made players as good as David Wirrpunda look silly, and kicked 39 goals in a year (which is more in a single year than Caracalla who we traded him for ever kicked), is a running joke in the same breath as Ty Zantuck, recycled wash ups such as Camporeale or Allen and ironic cult heroes who never played a game.

Cupido clearly had issues with application which is why his career petered out as disappointingly as it did. If we could get him in exchange for the salary dump of a role player, which probably equates to a 4th round pick, would we not do it every year until a version of him gets his head in the game and becomes a superstar?

Has everything to do with Hardwick vs Cupido style players.

Who cares about talent when you don't apply yourself, your legacy isn't remembered as much as a successful player.

The only people who remember Cupido are Essendon supporters.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Has everything to do with Hardwick vs Cupido style players.

Who cares about talent when you don't apply yourself, your legacy isn't remembered as much as a successful player.

The only people who remember Cupido are Essendon supporters.

It's news to me that the line between derision and admiration is whether you're a 200 game premiership player.

it seems pretty clear to me that most people just have no idea what Cupido was actually capable of which is why he's considered a joke.

I take it we all laugh at Allen Jackovic and Adrian McAdam too?

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
It's news to me that the line between derision and admiration is whether you're a 200 game premiership player.

it seems pretty clear to me that most people just have no idea what Cupido was actually capable of which is why he's considered a joke.

I take it we all laugh at Allen Jackovic and Adrian McAdam too?

im sure he enjoys his premiership re-unions.... oh wait!!!

Jobe didnt have an ounce of ability that Cupido had, yet his career would be more celebrated and recognised by others.

If Cupido worked as hard as Jobe this discussion would not eventuate.

If Cupido worked as hard as Jobe you’d be looking at Dustin Martin with the ability to get off the ground and sit on people’s heads.

Now he’s a suburban sellsword

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If Cupido worked as hard as Jobe you’d be looking at Dustin Martin with the ability to get off the ground and sit on people’s heads.

Now he’s a suburban sellsword

Now there’s a player that worked hard even though blessed with talent to become a complete player.

And 100% agree with you ZP

Jobe didnt have an ounce of ability that Cupido had, yet his career would be more celebrated and recognised by others.

If Cupido worked as hard as Jobe this discussion would not eventuate.
Bit like old saying if my aunt had testicles she’d be my uncle.

Takes a lot of ability to extract the ball like Jobe did. Cupido had more flair

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Reasonable point. More Grenvolds less Joe Danihers.

I think that’s almost fair. Joes just like Cupido, if he had his uncles desire to get best out him himself he alone could carry a team heavily into finals, maybe Brisbane will get the best out of him???

If you look at tigers, they have to be yardstick, they have top tier players in dusty, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance/Lynch who were top 10-20 picks. But the majority of their playing list, how many more have natural ability like cupido. Most are latter picks or rookies that through hard work, team work, repeat system based team
Efforts.

Cupido would have been languishing in reserves like Shai Bolton until he earnt his stripes.

I’ve heard Derm talk about these type of players that went through hawthorn full of talent that never made it because they couldn’t apply themselves in a professional environment. They go home and say they could’ve been anything, he says, no you couldn’t because you weren’t good enough to get the best out of yourself..

Anyway must be a slow news day to ramble on about ex could’ve beens. I want the next will be’s.

thepokey

Senior List
Mar 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, New York Yankees
Cupido is definitely different to those who we lump in the "lets have a laugh at them" basket like Zantuck. The difference is that Cupido had massive potential, he *could* have been a club legend whereas some of those other blokes mentioned ... no, they could never be that. Even if the ultimate outcome is the same for them all I can't blame EFC for getting Cupido in because we have seen troubled players put their demons behind them and I guess that was the hope with Cupido, unfortunately not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back