Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Hmm na not really. 99.9% of us are just happy to keep him. We kept him and got one over Dodoro.

You didn’t get anything over dodoro.....

Us getting Dunkley for 2 top 10s would be you getting one over dodoro.

Because this situation is very likely to come round again in 12 months time. Going to be very exciting!

It will get less likely if Essendon keep treating their players so shoddily. Sending emails to players on a Friday night about docking their monthly wages probably doesn’t sit to well with players across the competition.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
How is any of that related to dodoro/dunkley? Which is who we are talking about?

I don't give a crap if you think Lawyers, real estate agents, and used car people lie? they probably do? They have nothing to do with the discussion?
Wow, has everything to do with it, was mentioning that saying list managers don't lie a lot, is like saying those people in the professions I mentioned don't either.
I found you saying that why would a list manager lie is silly and funny.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
here we go again with this absolute bullshit.

show me a SINGLE report referencing a 900k figure for Dunkley. We did this dance previously for pages and pages with bulldogs supporters and not one of you could prove this figure being reported - it ended up being "oh I heard it on the radio once" & "heard it from some guy on our board who is a trusted source".

the fact is 900k was NEVER reported, not once.

The figure that was actually reported was 600-700k, which was in the final week or so of trade week.

again, like I re enforce. no 600-700k player is worth 2 x top 10 picks, and like ill say it again it was and still is a stupidly ridiculous price for a player that has not got a single AA to his name.
We don't have to show you that reported figure like we have done with you over and over because as stated, IT WAS ON RADIO from Sam Edmund I think it was. You can't put that up as proof, unless you get the clip via podcast and post it.
You are so far against it, because you have this thing you repeat like a damn broken record, saying no player is worth a ridiculous trade of two top ten pics.
If it was the amount we heard and others have im sure did too, it would refute your paying crazy overs debate.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone read the Ted Richards article recently? Old Teddy was himself blown away that the Dons had requested a first round draft pick from the Swans, given he'd spent half the season kicking dew of the ground in the magoos and had only managed 30 odd games in 4yrs on the list.

Those canny Swannies didn't bat an eyelid and were happy to pay the price to get their man. Dodo senses an opportunity to "win" trade week and takes off another jacket, requesting a 3rd rounder as well. The Swans pay, Dodo grins.

Summation: The Dons negotiate a 1st and 3rd round Draft pick for an undersized KPP who was UNCONTRACTED and had spent half the year playing VFL.

Result: Swans turned Richards into a gun KPD who helped them win a flag.

Dons got Courtenay Dempsey and Sam Lonergan who helped keep them irrelevant.

Moral: If you identify the need, select the ideal player AND get him to commit...pay the god damned price!

We don't have to show you that reported figure like we have done with you over and over because as stated, IT WAS ON RADIO from Sam Edmund I think it was. You can't put that up as proof, unless you get the clip via podcast and post it.
You are so far against it, because you have this thing you repeat like a damn broken record, saying no player is worth a ridiculous trade of two top ten pics.
If it was the amount we heard and others have im sure did too, it would refute your paying crazy overs debate.

what an absolute utter bunch of horse s**t.

this "900k contract offer" is utter garbage being flogged around here by bulldogs supporters to try and justify us paying a ******* stupidly ridiculous price for someone that has event even won a single AA. Something that in the history of the AFL has not been seen.

Even if Sam Edmund said on radio we offered him 900k (he ******* didn't, but ill go with your story) He says 650-700 here?

give up.

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
what an absolute utter bunch of horse sh*t.

this "900k contract offer" is utter garbage being flogged around here by bulldogs supporters to try and justify us paying a ******* stupidly ridiculous price for someone that has event even won a single AA. Something that in the history of the AFL has not been seen.

Even if Sam Edmund said on radio we offered him 900k (he ******* didn't, but ill go with your story) He says 650-700 here?

give up.

Give it up, pal. You're just making a fool of yourself arguing over something that no-one has control over anymore. In fact, you're sounding very much like Donald Trump.

Give it up, pal. You're just making a fool of yourself arguing over something that no-one has control over anymore. In fact, you're sounding very much like Donald Trump.

I'm making a fool of myself for making people talking garbage prove what they're saying? Is that What Donald's doing is it?

Ill keep calling out bullshit as long as I see fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone read the Ted Richards article recently? Old Teddy was himself blown away that the Dons had requested a first round draft pick from the Swans, given he'd spent half the season kicking dew of the ground in the magoos and had only managed 30 odd games in 4yrs on the list.

Those canny Swannies didn't bat an eyelid and were happy to pay the price to get their man. Dodo senses an opportunity to "win" trade week and takes off another jacket, requesting a 3rd rounder as well. The Swans pay, Dodo grins.

Summation: The Dons negotiate a 1st and 3rd round Draft pick for an undersized KPP who was UNCONTRACTED and had spent half the year playing VFL.

Result: Swans turned Richards into a gun KPD who helped them win a flag.

Dons got Courtenay Dempsey and Sam Lonergan who helped keep them irrelevant.

Moral: If you identify the need, select the ideal player AND get him to commit...pay the god damned price!

couldn't you do this for every single trade that's ever been completed? You have just picked one that suits your agenda?

You think Carlton would still have paid the price for Judd knowing how good Kennedy would Turn out?

You think Fremantle would have paid the price for Hogan knowing how that would turn out?

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
couldn't you do this for every single trade that's ever been completed? You have just picked one that suits your agenda?

You think Carlton would still have paid the price for Judd knowing how good Kennedy would Turn out?

You think Fremantle would have paid the price for Hogan knowing how that would turn out?
No I picked this trade because it encapsulates the Essendon mentality. Drastically overrate the worth of your own players whilst underrating the worth of others'. It has been a pattern (or vicious cycle) that coincedentally correlates with absolute mediocrity on the field. Its almost as if winning at the trade table means more to the Club than winning on the field.

Whilst at the the Blues, Judd won a Brownlow, 4x AA, 3x B&F's and was club captain. Carlton hardly lost that trade. It was a win/win.

Fremantle are a poorly run football club. Hogan was a train wreck in Melb...how did they think it would be any different once he got back with his mates? Terrible decision making.

Dunks was as close to a perfect fit for your club as you were going to get. He ticks all the boxes on and off the field and instead of getting a bloke who would have thrived at the challenge of leading you back up the ladder, Dodo pissed his pants at the thought of being seen to have "lost" a trade.

Mediocre move from a mediocre club. When i grew up in the 80's and 90's the Dons were a fearsome unit who, whilst being hated for their arrogance, were widely respected and admired for how they went about all things footy. How the mighty have fallen...

No I picked this trade because it encapsulates the Essendon mentality. Drastically overrate the worth of your own players whilst underrating the worth of others'. It has been a pattern (or vicious cycle) that coincedentally correlates with absolute mediocrity on the field. Its almost as if winning at the trade table means more to the Club than winning on the field.

Whilst at the the Blues, Judd won a Brownlow, 4x AA, 3x B&F's and was club captain. Carlton hardly lost that trade. It was a win/win.

Fremantle are a poorly run football club. Hogan was a train wreck in Melb...how did they think it would be any different once he got back with his mates? Terrible decision making.

Dunks was as close to a perfect fit for your club as you were going to get. He ticks all the boxes on and off the field and instead of getting a bloke who would have thrived at the challenge of leading you back up the ladder, Dodo pissed his pants at the thought of being seen to have "lost" a trade.

Mediocre move from a mediocre club. When i grew up in the 80's and 90's the Dons were a fearsome unit who, whilst being hated for their arrogance, were widely respected and admired for how they went about all things footy. How the mighty have fallen...

You can run the exact same level of thinking for every single club in the AFL, and find trades that they should have done, or they got ****ed over for not doing, time will tell if Dunkley is one of them.

The blues didn't recruit Judd to win their B&F.......I guarantee you, if they knew what Kennedy would become that trade would not have been done.

In regards to Dunkley, I do not disagree for a second that he is a perfect fit for us however Sitting there and saying we "pissed our pants" is a bit of a joke considering no player in the history of the game yet to win an AA has gone for 2 top 10 draft picks straight up.

Essendon and Dodoro are more than entitled for walking away from a trade that was simply asking too much, which it clearly was, like i said no other player in history has gone for that much in the same circumstances.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
In regards to Dunkley, I do not disagree for a second that he is a perfect fit for us however Sitting there and saying we "pissed our pants" is a bit of a joke considering no player in the history of the game yet to win an AA has gone for 2 top 10 draft picks straight up.

Why do you automatically think that next years first will be inside the top 10? At the end of 2014 we were widely tipped to finish bottom 4 in 2015. We had just lost our coach and experienced players in Griffen, Cooney and Higgins (sound familiar?), yet less than 12 months later we were playing finals and our 2015 pick finished outside the top 10. We then split that pick for 2x 2nd Rounders, where we picked up....you guessed it Josh Dunkley.

Do you have no faith in your footy club to turn it around? What if the picks turned out to be 8 (pushed out to 10 or more due to concessions) this year and 13 next year? Would that have been "fair"?

Why do you automatically think that next years first will be inside the top 10? At the end of 2014 we were widely tipped to finish bottom 4 in 2015. We had just lost our coach and experienced players in Griffen, Cooney and Higgins (sound familiar?), yet less than 12 months later we were playing finals and our 2015 pick finished outside the top 10. We then split that pick for 2x 2nd Rounders, where we picked up....you guessed it Josh Dunkley.

Do you have no faith in your footy club to turn it around? What if the picks turned out to be 8 (pushed out to 10 or more due to concessions) this year and 13 next year? Would that have been "fair"?

lol

we are *in hopeless, our 2021 will be guaranteed to be a top 10 and id suggest pretty low odds to be top 5.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
lol get real mate.

Name me a single other player in the history of the AFL that hasn't won an AA but has for 2 x Top 10 picks straight up. If there even is one there wouldnt be very many.

It was and still is a stupid price. There dogs were entitled to ask for it given he had 2 years left but you are convincing body.
Tom Boyd went for an AA player plus pick 6, which seems a high price, but it got a flag. That is the ultimate pay off.

When you identify what you need, it is folly not to meet the asking price.

Unless, of course, you have no confidence in your ability to properly identify what you really need.

Tom Boyd went for an AA player plus pick 6, which seems a high price, but it got a flag. That is the ultimate pay off.

When you identify what you need, it is folly not to meet the asking price.

Unless, of course, you have no confidence in your ability to properly identify what you really need.

That is not the same thing............Ryan Griffen was on the decline when he went to GWS, had a terrible 2014 prior to going to GWS.......would not have gone for a top 10 pick....

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back