Time to Scrap %. Points For Only.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 1972 grand final saw fifty goals and a winning margin of just over four goals..

I hated it though.

Richmond were favourites but Carlton won.

The next year, Richmond had wised up and the tables were turned.

100% this.
Leave the game alone and let the tactical side evolve naturally. The more you try and control it the worse the game gets as a spectacle.
Interestingly, they changed the % system in 1933.

It's a bit of a myth that the game just evolves on its own. Significant rule changes have been implemented fairly steadily over the last 150 years to address perceived issues with the game.

FWIW under the old % system (before it was changed in 1933), West coast would have finished 4th instead of Geelong, and North would have won the Wooden Spoon over Adelaide.

Port's % would have dropped from 136 to 73 - whilst Essendon's would have jumped from 79 to 126. Adelaide's would have been 155!

So the concept of tweaking the % system to encourage scoring has actually been done before. It's not that far fetched and outrageous at all.

Last edited:
FWIW under the old % system (before it was changed in 1933), West coast would have finished 4th instead of Geelong, and North would have won the Wooden Spoon over Adelaide.

Port's % would have dropped from 136 to 73 - whilst Essendon's would have jumped from 79 to 126. Adelaide's would have been 155!

So the concept of tweaking the % system to encourage scoring has actually been done before. It's not that far fetched and outrageous at all.
I'm not sure you have that right... the AFL's page says:

Screenshot from 2020-11-29 14-45-56.png
... but that's the same thing, just the inverse - so instead of a percentage of 200, you'd have a percentage of 50, and lower would be better. But it wouldn't change anything about the order of the teams.

Agree with the OP. All the counter-arguements regarding high scoring grounds and weather are no different to every other slightly unbalanced aspect of a season: fixture, playing against a team crippled with injuries vs fully fit, playing against a team in form vs a team out of form, etc.

Encouraging teams to be attacking atm is a good thing.

An interesting idea I heard once (and I have mentioned it before) is to have 'quarters won' as the tie-breaker, rather than %age.

Good points are:
1. It takes away differences in playing conditions between grounds, weather etc.
2. It gives fans of a team being thrashed (say, 7 goals down at 3/4 time) some incentive to keep watching.
3. It increases the number of critical 'kicks after the siren' by a large factor - apart from having 5 times as many opportunities (4 end-of-quarters + total end-of-game), there would be more end-of-quarter opportunities because there is less scoring in a quarter than a game - so closer scores.
4. I once did a quick analysis on a season - it doesn't wind up with a significantly different order to %age.
5. When a team HAS to win the last game & improve %age to make finals, it's easy to work out exactly what they need to do, rather than have to recalculate after every opposition score.

Bad points:
1. Increases chance of a 'tie-breaker' tie at the end of the season.

An interesting idea I heard once (and I have mentioned it before) is to have 'quarters won' as the tie-breaker, rather than %age.

Good points are:
1. It takes away differences in playing conditions between grounds, weather etc.
2. It gives fans of a team being thrashed (say, 7 goals down at 3/4 time) some incentive to keep watching.
3. It increases the number of critical 'kicks after the siren' by a large factor - apart from having 5 times as many opportunities (4 end-of-quarters + total end-of-game), there would be more end-of-quarter opportunities because there is less scoring in a quarter than a game - so closer scores.
4. I once did a quick analysis on a season - it doesn't wind up with a significantly different order to %age.
5. When a team HAS to win the last game & improve %age to make finals, it's easy to work out exactly what they need to do, rather than have to recalculate after every opposition score.

Bad points:
1. Increases chance of a 'tie-breaker' tie at the end of the season.
They have this in Super Netball and I really dislike it.

It feels artificial - the commentators always try to hype it up but it's just a sideshow to the main business of, you know, who's going to win the freaking game.

Also occasionally you get bizarre outcomes where one team thrashes the other, but because they did their damage in one particular quarter, the other team comes away with more bonus points.

The whole purpose of percentage is that it's a pretty accurate method of separating two teams who are otherwise equal. Once you introduce some razzle-dazzle, it fails at that and becomes something different.

kind of backs up my point

Does it though?

That year Docklands only averaged 3 goals more than the other grounds' combined averages. If you take the SCG's average out of it (cause, you know, Sydney), it's only about 15 points more.
And given Geelong were a freakishly dominant team and played 7 games there averaging 141 points - the rest of the comp is pretty even across all grounds.

On a side note.. man the scores were big that year! The average Points For was 95.5!! In 2020 it was 65.5! If you forget the shortened quarters and use 2019 instead - it was only 80. That's 6 goals per game difference.

Does it though?

That year Docklands only averaged 3 goals more than the other grounds' combined averages. If you take the SCG's average out of it (cause, you know, Sydney), it's only about 15 points more.
And given Geelong were a freakishly dominant team and played 7 games there averaging 141 points - the rest of the comp is pretty even across all grounds.

On a side note.. man the scores were big that year! The average Points For was 95.5!! In 2020 it was 65.5! If you forget the shortened quarters and use 2019 instead - it was only 80. That's 6 goals per game difference.
It's more of the unfairness of four teams playing on the same day in Melbourne in pouring rain

Two play outside in a wet slog fest and the other two play in perfect conditions indoors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

% works like this:
If your team is above 100% your % will be better if you win/lose with a lower score (same margin). Better to win 60-30 rather than 120-90.

If your % is under 100% then the opposite is true and it’s an advantage to win/lose with a higher score.

I'm not sure you have that right... the AFL's page says:

View attachment 1020250
... but that's the same thing, just the inverse - so instead of a percentage of 200, you'd have a percentage of 50, and lower would be better. But it wouldn't change anything about the order of the teams.
I remember when I was a little kid, before the times of smart phones and internet, the VFL was the premier league but still knew SANFL and WAFL were quality leagues in their states and to see the scores and ladder for those leagues would buy the weekly magazine from time to time called "Inside Football" and it had the scores and ladder details from all the leagues around the nation and the SANFL always had a different way of doing percentage for their ladder.

Topic is definitely worthy of debate and looking at the past few seasons, it would have had some impact.

2020 - No change.
2019 - Lions replace Cats on top, Eagles replace Magpies in 4th. Minor changes outside top 8.
2018 - Minor changes outside top 8.
2017 - Demons replace the Eagles in 8th. Minor changes in the bottom 4.

The conclusion is it's not the big deal some people will try to make it, by using extreme examples from a game or two, when the ladder takes into account all games across a season.

i guess the argument is, that those seasons weren't played under the conditions the op is suggesting. had those seasons been played using points for it might be different.

ultimately though... this thing still only separates teams that have won the same number of games. if you're backing yourself to win enough games by shitty low-scoring slogs it doesn't matter.

And both games would achieve the AFL's goal of a more entertaining spectacle.

I'm sure the aim isn't for s**t teams to get better percentage by virtue of big bash style shootouts either.

Agree with the OP. All the counter-arguements regarding high scoring grounds and weather are no different to every other slightly unbalanced aspect of a season: fixture, playing against a team crippled with injuries vs fully fit, playing against a team in form vs a team out of form, etc.

Encouraging teams to be attacking atm is a good thing.
A team that wins 120-119 every week would finish higher than a team that wins 119-54 every week.

You don't see a serious flaw with that system?

A team that wins 120-119 every week would finish higher than a team that wins 119-54 every week.

The flip side is that currently a team that wins 60-30 every week will finish higher than a team that wins 120-61 every week. That doesn’t seem right either

The flip side is that currently a team that wins 60-30 every week will finish higher than a team that wins 120-61 every week. That doesn’t seem right either
Points differential?
Solves the above problem.
+30 vs +59

In reality no solution is perfect, but to me looking at points for in isolation is the most flawed. It's the only one that completely ignores an entire side of the game.

Points differential?
Solves the above problem.
+30 vs +59

In reality no solution is perfect, but to me looking at points for in isolation is the most flawed. It's the only one that completely ignores an entire side of the game.
Yeah i don't mind it - would need to think through the implications
Even if you went for Points For, you aren't ignoring defending because the ultimate goal is still to win and to do that you need the opposition to score less than you

It's not the perfect way to determine each team's position on the ladder.

That's not the point.

The point is that the AFL have been very, very clear that they want more 120-119 results every week. That would be the perfect product for them.

So the question becomes - how badly do they have to * the game on-field with rubbish rule changes in order to achieve it?

And even if they did, how quickly before coaches counter it anyway and bring the game back to dull, defensive, low risk, clogged up games anyway? Plus you're stuck with all the useless rule changes too.

So personnally, if we could get more games with high risk footy without ******* the game up on-field with rubbish rule changes, I'd absolutely take it - even if it means there's some minor irregularities like the scenario you brought up.

It's not about 'fixing' the percentage system - it's about sacrificing it rather than the heart and soul of the game itself - to achieve the AFL's goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back