Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.
Well, my question didn't make the cut, but this was nice initiative by the club and and the coach in particular, when he has barely warmed the seat in his office yet. I look forward eagerly to seeing his influence on the team next season.

I just had a look at the odds for next year, we are rank outsiders to make the 8 @ 9-1, even behind the Crows, next winner i back at the races $ 50 will be going on, underestimate us at your peril :)

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
I love this.

1606720139162.png

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I definitely get the vibe players will be swung around a fair bit. He brought up that 40% of drafted baseballers ended up playing different positions.

Just about every kid from Latin America is signed as a shortstop. Generally where your best athletes play. Of course they can’t all play short in the minors, or they grow too big or whatever. So they move them to 3rd, 2nd, centrefield.

Bit like kids in the U18’s. Your talented kids are playing Mid or forward. They can’t all play there in the AFL so they move to wings, flanks or defence.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounds like he's going to mix things up a bit and I have a suspicion that he will be tactically a lot more adventurous than Scott and Shaw.

A lot of talk about the 22 and under's but I'm also interested to see what he can do with the older blokes. I think he will drive improvement from all our players regardless of age. He has mentioned players being more flexible a few times previously, he even made reference to Jed's outside game when he was a junior hinting that he sees him more than just an inside bull.

I wonder what he can do with someone like Atley? Sure he has limitations but I still think he hasn't realised his potential. Just maybe a new set of eyes and a new voice might get more out of Ats?

The most pleasing thing from that Q&A for me was that our 20-25m kicking will be a focus at training. Our short kicking skills are putrid and regardless of whether we are a possession team, a running team or a long kicking team we have to nail our short kicks like its second nature. The top teams just don't miss those kicks.

Last edited:

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He mentioned Goldy being a dangerous forward. Aside from that game in 09 when he lit up that Melbourne doofus, Ive never got that impression.

Ok cool thanks.

I'm just over McIntosh, Campbell and now Xerri having zero influence (they try hardest I know and X young) but now with Brown gone it might be different to fill that height hole.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Sounds like he's going to mix things up a bit and I have a suspicion that he will be tactically a lot more adventurous than Scott and Shaw.

A lot of talk about the 22 and under's but I'm also interested to see what he can do with the older blokes. I think he will drive improvement from all our players regardless of age. He has mentioned players being more flexible a few times previously, He even made reference to Jed's outside game when he was a junior hinting that he sees him more than just an inside bull.

I wonder what he can do with someone like Atley? Sure he has limitations but I still think he hasn't realised his potential. Just maybe a new set of eyes and a new voice might get more out of Ats?

The most pleasing thing from that Q&A for me was that our 20-25m kicking will be a focus at training. Our short kicking skills are putrid and regardless of whether we are a possession team, a running team or a long kicking team we have to nail our short kicks like its second nature. The top teams just don't miss those kicks.

We can probably expect to see some of our better users behind the ball.

sutcliffe's hotel

Premium Platinum
Oct 30, 2005
Brisbanistan
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Brilliant stuff. Well done North, Heath & Nobes.

Clearly Nobes is a perfect fit for a team that is wanting to play to it’s strengths and develop across the board. He has licence to experiment as that is the key to learning and development.

Not fussed about what went down in the hub as we are 100% focussing on the future.

speedy

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2001
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He mentioned Goldy being a dangerous forward. Aside from that game in 09 when he lit up that Melbourne doofus, Ive never got that impression.
Nobes mentioned possibly playing 2 ruckman. I think it will be a little more subtle that just plonking one as a stay at home forward. I see Goldy floating forward and dragging the opp ruck with him or at least creating confusion with defensive assignments while Xerri floats up the field as the ruck cover.

That's where Goldy becomes dangerous, when he can cover ground and get in dangerous spots.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
Nobes mentioned possibly playing 2 ruckman. I think it will be a little more subtle that just plonking one as a stay at home forward. I see Goldy floating forward and dragging the opp ruck with him or at least creating confusion with defensive assignments while Xerri floats up the field as the ruck cover.

That's where Goldy becomes dangerous, when he can cover ground and get in dangerous spots.
Good call.

Back