Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Le Archie

Team Captain
Apr 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It will get less likely if Essendon keep treating their players so shoddily. Sending emails to players on a Friday night about docking their monthly wages probably doesn’t sit to well with players across the competition.
Doesn't have to be Essendon mate, very likely this situation arises again with Dunkley and history shows it's usually not the same club from the previous year.

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone read the Ted Richards article recently? Old Teddy was himself blown away that the Dons had requested a first round draft pick from the Swans, given he'd spent half the season kicking dew of the ground in the magoos and had only managed 30 odd games in 4yrs on the list.

Those canny Swannies didn't bat an eyelid and were happy to pay the price to get their man. Dodo senses an opportunity to "win" trade week and takes off another jacket, requesting a 3rd rounder as well. The Swans pay, Dodo grins.

Summation: The Dons negotiate a 1st and 3rd round Draft pick for an undersized KPP who was UNCONTRACTED and had spent half the year playing VFL.

Result: Swans turned Richards into a gun KPD who helped them win a flag.

Dons got Courtenay Dempsey and Sam Lonergan who helped keep them irrelevant.

Moral: If you identify the need, select the ideal player AND get him to commit...pay the god damned price!
No Essendon are not in the position to "top up" with one good player, using two top 10s. The position Essendon are in, we need to use every one of our top 10 picks on youth.

No Essendon are not in the position to "top up" with one good player, using two top 10s. The position Essendon are in, we need to use every one of our top 10 picks on youth.
That's an entirely reasonable preposition to take.

Unfortunately, it doesn't parse with offering Dunkley the massive contract in the first place.

The revisionism of denying the contract offer representing wanting him in the first place by Essendon fans is kind of incredible.

No I picked this trade because it encapsulates the Essendon mentality. Drastically overrate the worth of your own players whilst underrating the worth of others'. It has been a pattern (or vicious cycle) that coincedentally correlates with absolute mediocrity on the field. Its almost as if winning at the trade table means more to the Club than winning on the field.

Whilst at the the Blues, Judd won a Brownlow, 4x AA, 3x B&F's and was club captain. Carlton hardly lost that trade. It was a win/win.

Fremantle are a poorly run football club. Hogan was a train wreck in Melb...how did they think it would be any different once he got back with his mates? Terrible decision making.

Dunks was as close to a perfect fit for your club as you were going to get. He ticks all the boxes on and off the field and instead of getting a bloke who would have thrived at the challenge of leading you back up the ladder, Dodo pissed his pants at the thought of being seen to have "lost" a trade.

Mediocre move from a mediocre club. When i grew up in the 80's and 90's the Dons were a fearsome unit who, whilst being hated for their arrogance, were widely respected and admired for how they went about all things footy. How the mighty have fallen...
It shows you how the mentality can impact you in general.

This isn't fantasy football where there are no other ramifications for the mentality you bring to the trade table.

The accumulation of "small wins" on each an every trade surely gets more than cancelled out with how pissed off it makes the wider footy world, impacting the kind of people who want to work for your club and the reputation in the football universe, and the flow-on effects that has with players, media, other clubs, player managers, etc. etc.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
That is not the same thing............Ryan Griffen was on the decline when he went to GWS, had a terrible 2014 prior to going to GWS.......would not have gone for a top 10 pick....
What? Talk about revisionist history. In Griffen's last game for the Bulldogs he had 40 and a goal. He was a top 5 in the comp mid and club captain, just because GWS employed Dr Nick level medicos doesn't change the fact that discussions for him began at a top 10 pick and a player.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Why do you automatically think that next years first will be inside the top 10? At the end of 2014 we were widely tipped to finish bottom 4 in 2015. We had just lost our coach and experienced players in Griffen, Cooney and Higgins (sound familiar?), yet less than 12 months later we were playing finals and our 2015 pick finished outside the top 10. We then split that pick for 2x 2nd Rounders, where we picked up....you guessed it Josh Dunkley.

Do you have no faith in your footy club to turn it around? What if the picks turned out to be 8 (pushed out to 10 or more due to concessions) this year and 13 next year? Would that have been "fair"?
The funny part for mine is that had Essendon paid next year's first plus some change for Dunkley. Actually having him in the team would've significantly reduced the value of that pick.

WallyStringhaus

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mate, you guys had 2x top 6 picks in 2015 and used them on Parish and Francis. We used a pick in the mid 20's and late 40's to get Dunkley and Bailey Williams in the same draft.

Perhaps if the Club spent more time on talent identification and player development then they wouldn't feel the need to win trade week every year and create the inevitable logjam that occurs.

Mate, you guys had 2x top 6 picks in 2015 and used them on Parish and Francis. We used a pick in the mid 20's and late 40's to get Dunkley and Bailey Williams in the same draft.

Perhaps if the Club spent more time on talent identification and player development then they wouldn't feel the need to win trade week every year and create the inevitable logjam that occurs.

Fair call. can’t argue that point...

Haha

What? Talk about revisionist history. In Griffen's last game for the Bulldogs he had 40 and a goal. He was a top 5 in the comp mid and club captain, just because GWS employed Dr Nick level medicos doesn't change the fact that discussions for him began at a top 10 pick and a player.

Those talks didn’t last long did they....

You traded pick 6 AND griffen for a 9 game player....

Big part in winning us a premiership. ☺ We won that trade every day of the week looking back at the outcome. Thanks Boydy.

lol you'd have won that premiership with any half brain forward filling up a spot in the 22.

In Boyd’s defence he was close to BOG in a couple of games that finals series, including the GF.

Still reckon they would have won it without him.

Another player would have just stood up.

Maybe, but in hindsight i think they still do that trade every day of the week even knowing Boyd retires early.

Probably, he was in a GF after all

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Still reckon they would have won it without him.

Another player would have just stood up.
You are wrong. He played the best finals series of any key position player in our recent history.
I can see why you keep getting into circular arguments with that logic.
Those talks didn’t last long did they....

You traded pick 6 AND griffen for a 9 game player....
Those talks didn't last long because we tapped up their in contract at the time thought generational number one draft pick key forward and had very little bargaining power with Griffen who stopped answering calls and threatened to retire rather than honor his contract.
The Giants wanted to keep Boyd to his contract and hand us their first and second for Griffen. It was Gordon who insisted we pay overs for Boyd.
Now please stop rewriting history to suit your argument.

You are wrong. He played the best finals series of any key position player in our recent history.
I can see why you keep getting into circular arguments with that logic.
Those talks didn't last long because we tapped up their in contract at the time thought generational number one draft pick key forward and had very little bargaining power with Griffen who stopped answering calls and threatened to retire rather than honor his contract.
The Giants wanted to keep Boyd to his contract and hand us their first and second for Griffen. It was Gordon who insisted we pay overs for Boyd.
Now please stop rewriting history to suit your argument.

Wasn’t even my argument bro lol

All I said was no player in history that hasn’t won an AA has gone for 2 top 10 picks.

I didn’t even bring Boyd into this discussion, someone else did. All I said was that griffen was not worth a top 10 pick when he went to GWS. Which is factual.

No really sure what circular argument you think I’m involved in.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
what an absolute utter bunch of horse sh*t.

this "900k contract offer" is utter garbage being flogged around here by bulldogs supporters to try and justify us paying a ******* stupidly ridiculous price for someone that has event even won a single AA. Something that in the history of the AFL has not been seen.

Even if Sam Edmund said on radio we offered him 900k (he ******* didn't, but ill go with your story) He says 650-700 here?

give up.
No because I think it's more then that, and your childish continuous rage ranting won't Change that.

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

All I said was no player in history that hasn’t won an AA has gone for 2 top 10 picks.

I didn’t even bring Boyd into this discussion, someone else did. All I said was that griffen was not worth a top 10 pick when he went to GWS. Which is factual.

Wow. Legit all I can say...wow.
You realise this is a new discussion unrelated to your original circular argument yeah?
You made a statement I explained that you were incorrect in that statement. I don't care about your bleating on 2 top ten picks, which was only a beginning stance anyway.

Griffen not being worth a top ten pick is not factual it's a poor opinion that ignores all context.

Last edited:
Josh is 23 years old and ultra-professional. He's no top up and was clearly targeted for his professionalism and that he still has many years of good football ahead of him.
Essendon targeted the perfect player for them, just didn't want to pay the price to get him.

It shows that draft picks alone aren't the panacea to clubs performance - a fact Melbourne learned the hard way over many, many years.

It's amazing the number of times a club "overpayed" for a player and it worked for them - Shaun Burgoyne and Brad Ottens two of the most obvious ones. Professional clubs identify the player they need, and pull the trigger.

Mar 5, 2015
West of Woop Woop
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Marconi, Arsenal, GreenEdge
lol you'd have won that premiership with any half brain forward filling up a spot in the 22.
No, we wouldnt have made it past GWS. Boyd stepped up and halved the ruck that night after we lost Roughhead to an eye injury.

Then he starred in the granny.

Without him our drought would be continuing.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Josh is 23 years old and ultra-professional. He's no top up and was clearly targeted for his professionalism and that he still has many years of good football ahead of him.
Essendon targeted the perfect player for them, just didn't want to pay the price to get him.
So you can't see why paying two top 10 picks (next year's will likely be a top 10 pick) is not a good idea? We've only selected 4 times in the first two rounds after 2015. McGrath is the only first rounder.

I'd begrudgingly accept if we gave up two of our top 10 picks this year for Dunkley and a second (as we still have another first), but Bulldogs wanted one of our top 10 picks this year and our first next year. Merrett could be leaving next year. McGrath only re-signed until 2022.

Missing a first round pick in next year's super draft would be a disaster for us. Just cannot afford to gamble our future like that. Essendon supporters would call for Dodoro's head if he gave up this year's first and next year's. Would be the final straw. One major injury and everything turns to s**t.

I'd rather try again next year and see where we actually finish. We can afford to trade out our first in 2022 because we have the Davey twins coming through.
If Dunkley doesn't want to come, we have the salary cap space to throw money at an out of contract Oliver. Otherwise, next year's superdraft is full of good inside mids.

Bulldog Joe

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Except of course, that GWS were (apparently)prepared to pay better (1st and 2nd) just to get Griffen.

Back