Past Coach NMFC Senior Coach - David Noble has parted ways with NMFC

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Curious; why you think this?

Every question about the draft I’ve heard him answer he says Speed.

He also indicated that J.Walker will play as a forward for periods & they will often play 2 rucks.

Pure speculation, could mean nothing re Pick 2, but I’d guess we will draft at least 2 quick running mids with our picks.

In my limited experience in leadership, it's important that you make the person you are talking to feel like that they're the most important person in the organisation at any given time. My area of employment is in education. So when someone comes to me about how we need a better brand of whiteboard erasers, it may be trivial or even wrong to me, but to the person who made the effort to come over and knock on my door, it's important to them and they want to be heard. Likewise, to the person who took the time to think of a question to the NMFC senior coach, send it in, and watch, that he uses your name feels right.

Like I said, it means nothing if he simply can't coach, but it's a nice touch. Way better than "Yeah, nah. We were expecting an ambush and we go ambushed. But we know what the problem is and it's an easy fix."

I like to quote movies and "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" mightn't have much to do with AFL footy but..

Tom Hanks: Do you know what the most important thing in the world to me at the moment is?
Matthew Rhys: No
Tom Hanks: Talking to you.
You had me at Tom Hanks.

Ok cool thanks.

I'm just over McIntosh, Campbell and now Xerri having zero influence (they try hardest I know and X young) but now with Brown gone it might be different to fill that height hole.
i thought i posted this hours ago Chop.

Xerri kicked four goals in four games. Not bad for his first ever four games. Tho he didn't get alot of the ball.

He kicked three of them in games three and four. He also took more marks and seemed to get more involved. Im not sold on him yet either but I think three goals in his last two games is something we might be able to work with. And he played two games early and two games later in the season. He definitely improved between outings imo. Its too early to make a call at this point I reckon.

If he averages a goal a game, or even three every two games then he will be a valuable addition.

Especially if we go with a mobile, medium-sized forward line as our main focus. I get the sense that is something Nobes wants to try. I think he wants to get away from long down the line and move toward fast attacking footy thru the corridor, with a focus on players running to create offensive options. it could be great to watch. We have Larkey and someone like Xerri to create a contest and hit packs but we focus on fast attacking footy thru the likes of CT, TT, CZ and mids like BS, JS, JS, LDU, JA, BC who can all play forward. As can JZ. If Xerri can average one to one and a half goals a game in those circumstances that is a really good return.

Every question about the draft I’ve heard him answer he says Speed.

He also indicated that J.Walker will play as a forward for periods & they will often play 2 rucks.

Pure speculation, could mean nothing re Pick 2, but I’d guess we will draft at least 2 quick running mids with our picks.

My early thoughts, posted somewhere in this maze were similar to your thoughts;
  • The have talked up Comben as being able to play like a mid at ground lvl with great hands and Larkey as good as any forward for his age.
  • Speed speed, speed
  • Belief there are a fantastic top 6 and 35 high quality targets
Why draft a forward at 2 if we can get above the odds return on 2

Saying all that - I want to keep 2!

What do we think \of this two rucks business? He's mentioned it plenty now.

Is he thinking Xerri/ Goldi ;
  • Get the support for the young guys up forward as Goldy will draw the number 1 defender most times.
  • Can pump more games into Xerri - critical
  • Walker swing man to fill the gaps forward and back

If that's what hes thinking - could be good.
More often than not the premiership team have had 2 rucks. Even Richmond in one.
nankervis/soldo
lycett/vardy
roughhead/Boyd (how did they win that premiership again?)
mcevoy/hale

• The have talked up Comben as being able to play like a mid at ground lvl with great hands and Larkey as good as any forward for his age.
  • Speed speed, speed

We are keeping it according to the HS.

• Speed speed, speed

This aged very poorly but Im very happy!!! Yay!

Hearing him talk about the long down the line style of play and the way he sees how the midfield should play has risen my optimism. I think it is going to be hard getting some of the guys who have been here a long time to adjust but I am really looking forward to seeing things change.

Only a small small thing, but the 1 percenters count. After every question he mentions the person who asked it by name. And if he wasn't sure he asked who it was. This bloke knows how to make people feel included and get people to buy in. Whether he knows how to coach a senior AFL football team or not remains to be seen, but he knows how to lead people.

Great communicator and didn’t hesitate on none of the questions.
Has a great presence with just his words.
Refreshing that everything is up for debate and there’s no one locked into a position on the ground.
Flexibility is what we’ve been craving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who will be our Cruyff?
Smartest football brain ever with the ability to deliver the ball exactly were he wanted.
Knew were a team mate was going to be before they knew it.
Had a great ability to create space all over the field. Directed/instructed his teammates were to be on the field.

Not sure if we have someone who can do that.
Could also play any position on the field bar goalkeeper and would be the best in any of those.

Watched and admired him as a young lad even though I supported Feyenoord (main rivals of Ajax)

Would be very happy if we can replicate the total football style.

Had to laugh when one of the questions at the end was asked by a Brad and Noble said that’s a great question Scott to which he got corrected by Heath that it was asked by Brad with a rye smile :grin:

And was it my imagination or did he call Heath ‘Ash’ at one stage?

It looks like the days of the meat grinder are gone - that's one big tick for Nobes already!

A more balanced mid field/flankers with the right blend of speed, inside work and class will be our first step in getting back up the ladder.

Second step - ball use out of the back half. I am keen to see how Nobes plans to address this one.

It looks like the days of the meat grinder are gone - that's one big tick for Nobes already!

A more balanced mid field/flankers with the right blend of speed, inside work and class will be our first step in getting back up the ladder.

Second step - ball use out of the back half. I am keen to see how Nobes plans to address this one.

It was interesting what he said about class and ball movement.

He felt we had the class but the ball movement didnt allow us enough time and space to deliver with great efficiency.

Then he went on to talk about connectedness and trust - knowing the patterns and where the options will be. He made reference to knowing where the options are to come in board - dangerous positions.

I get the feeling 2021 is going to be one big training drill to development our ball movement and style of play. Really excited to see how this progresses.

He mentioned our biggest issue being speed. Same issue since 2001 and amazing how club and supporters alike failed to buy into it. This alone makes me giddy.
Yep and sounds like skills will be an early focus come pre season. Speed and skill by foot.........has been a mutually exclusive concept at North for a very long time. Sounds like coach Noble will be attacking it early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back