Recommitted Jordan de Goey [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

So we assume JDG and Mihocek have re-signed on the down low.
Seems to be the case at a lot of clubs.

I've been regularly looking up the names of players that we have threads for to see if they've re-signed and we just missed the news somehow. There are a lot of articles around about player X and player Y who have agreed to a contract extension but that the club hasn't formally announced.

Collingwood are getting away with conduct that not a lot of other clubs would be able to, if they were in the same position.

This De Goey contract situation - when paired with the Treloar debacle - would want to be on the up and up and sorted, otherwise 17 other clubs will soon riot - especially clubs like Adelaide, Sydney and Essendon, who have been heavily penalized for breaking rules in the past

Sorry but what is this conduct you are referring to?

Apart from getting some very underwhelming trade returns what specifically have Collingwood done here to warrant a penalty?

I love it how Collingwood is automatically the bad guy when it comes to the Treloar trade/pay outcome. Can you categorically rule out the Dogs not dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s on the deal. Neither you or I have any idea as to exactly why the Treloar deal at Collingwood was back ended multiple times. My unconfirmed info is that it was not all Collingwood’s fault he pushed his contract back.

As for De Goey I think it would be pretty common to verbally agree to an extension without signing it off 100%. We probably don’t know yet exactly what we can pay him. Until our financial position is known on Beams and Langdon’s payouts & the Treloar contribution it’s hard to know what we can sign him too. If there was an issue his manager (father) or other clubs would be talking about it.

Move along and worry about the other clubs asking for an investigation into why family members of your recruits keep getting jobs with Cotton On.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess the joke's on Collingwood. Another year or two of De Goey's drama? What a mess.

& I’m sure if he walked out and signed somewhere else you would be also saying Collingwood is a joke then too. Why is it a mess that we’ve signed one of the most promising young players in the league for another couple of years. Can’t win. Run along hater.

The problem with De Goey (similar to Stephenson) is that he is the cherry on top player. He will look great at times in a good teams but isn't the type to elevate a middling to bottom team into the 8. The problem with this is that the really good teams can't afford him and the teams that can would not be suited by his skillset. Which of course leaves Collingwood between a rock and a hard place.

The other issue is consistency. You want your top paid players to be at least good in 70%+ of games. He's probably played as many standout games for Collingwood as Daniel Wells. Brilliant on the day, just not often enough.

I think De Goey's body and injury problems is a big reason why we have not seen great consistency from him yet.

He is certainly is a considerably better player than Daniel Wells was at the same age.

Apart from getting some very underwhelming trade returns what specifically have Collingwood done here to warrant a penalty?

I love it how Collingwood is automatically the bad guy when it comes to the Treloar trade/pay outcome. Can you categorically rule out the Dogs not dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s on the deal. Neither you or I have any idea as to exactly why the Treloar deal at Collingwood was back ended multiple times. My unconfirmed info is that it was not all Collingwood’s fault he pushed his contract back.

As for De Goey I think it would be pretty common to verbally agree to an extension without signing it off 100%. We probably don’t know yet exactly what we can pay him. Until our financial position is known on Beams and Langdon’s payouts & the Treloar contribution it’s hard to know what we can sign him too. If there was an issue his manager (father) or other clubs would be talking about it.

Move along and worry about the other clubs asking for an investigation into why family members of your recruits keep getting jobs with Cotton On.

Oh mate, our club's conducts are not even in the same stratosphere. It's why we attract players like Jeremy Cameron and you attract players like...*checks notes* Darcy Cameron.

The conduct issue is that you can't just 'verbally agree to contracts and sort them out later', when it comes to official list lodgement and salary cap details. That's exactly what I fear that they're doing. The deadline has passed, and what, Collingwood can just give some vague idea on their list lodgement of what they're paying him? Ned Guy: 'oh just put down somewhere between 600K-900K, that should be good enough'

Treloar trade still hasn't happened and list lodgement has already gone through, which is also getting into murky waters surrounding their TPP and the leeway they're being given to sort it all out.

I daresay if it was Geelong putting forward their list lodgement, and the salary of Jeremy Cameron was a verbal 'we'll sort it out later', you wouldn't be so accepting.

Everything is fine at Collingwood though - Eddie said so and the AFL just lets you guys keep kicking the can down the road.

P.S. Don't even try to compare our two clubs and how we behave/run our club and finances/treat our players. I think 16 other clubs would take Costa/Cook/Wells/Scott, over McGuire/Anderson/Guy/Buckley, any day of the week.

Last edited:

Wasn’t the cut-off for list registration yesterday though? Are you being allowed to list players that are out of contract and if so is that allowed?

& I’m sure if he walked out and signed somewhere else you would be also saying Collingwood is a joke then too. Why is it a mess that we’ve signed one of the most promising young players in the league for another couple of years. Can’t win. Run along hater.

You haven’t signed him though, at least not to anyone’s knowledge.

Oh mate, our club's conducts are not even in the same stratosphere. It's why we attract players like Jeremy Cameron and you attract players like...*checks notes* Darcy Cameron.

The conduct issue is that you can't just 'verbally agree to contracts and sort them out later', when it comes to official list lodgement and salary cap details. That's exactly what I fear that they're doing. The deadline has passed, and what, Collingwood can just give some vague idea on their list lodgement of what they're paying him? Ned Guy: 'oh just put down somewhere between 600K-900K, that should be good enough'

Treloar trade still hasn't happened and list lodgement has already gone through, which is also getting into murky waters surrounding their TPP and the leeway they're being given to sort it all out.

I daresay if it was Geelong putting forward their list lodgement, and the salary of Jeremy Cameron was a verbal 'we'll sort it out later', you wouldn't be so accepting.

Everything is fine at Collingwood though - Eddie said so and the AFL just lets you guys keep kicking the can down the road.

P.S. Don't even try to compare our two clubs and how we behave/run our club and finances/treat our players. I think 16 other clubs would take Costa/Cook/Wells/Scott, over McGuire/Anderson/Guy/Buckley, any day of the week.

Who says you can’t verbally agree to a contract and sort out the exact contract terms later? You are living in fantasy land if you think that doesn’t happen. Its called a heads of agreement. Our circumstance this off season mean we have to deal with the unknowns of Beams & Langdon payouts (still to be advised by the AFL as to what needs to be included in the cap) & like everyone else reduced TPP and unknown list sizes which were unknown until recently. It’s a different time at the moment & it will get sorted. He will get a contract and get paid well. Not sure why you expect to be told when or how this occurs.

It was mentioned in the media during the week that it’s not unusual for clubs to work out the exact dollar contributions from both parties after trade week. I think they get an extra week to sort that out. In the Treloar case it seems this can’t be agreed to. Once again I ask you why you think this is all Collingwood’s fault? Based on the underwhelming trade return I’d say contributions to his new contract would be on the lesser side. That trade return doesn’t equal $300k per year.

Collingwood may be guilty of poor list management but I don’t get your outrage over JDG or Treloar contracts.

PS I admire your club greatly one of the best going around on and off the field but I’m really over the continuous Collingwood hate on the basis of information that really remains unfounded.

You haven’t signed him though, at least not to anyone’s knowledge.

How do you know he hasn’t signed? Just because the club haven’t put out a media release doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

From what I’m lead to believe (like Mihocek) he has agreed to an extension and for all intents and purposes he’s signed. If he wasn’t the media would be reporting on it every day. It’s called a heads of agreement. A verbal contract agreed to until specific particulars can be worked out. He’s been included in the list lodgement so probably just waiting on the exact money figure we have left to pay him.

How do you know he hasn’t signed? Just because the club haven’t put out a media release doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

From what I’m lead to believe (like Mihocek) he has agreed to an extension and for all intents and purposes he’s signed. If he wasn’t the media would be reporting on it every day. It’s called a heads of agreement. A verbal contract agreed to until specific particulars can be worked out. He’s been included in the list lodgement so probably just waiting on the exact money figure we have left to pay him.

And my question was is that allowed after list lodgement? Apparently it is according to you. Any idea how long teams get to sort these heads of agreement?

And my question was is that allowed after list lodgement? Apparently it is according to you. Any idea how long teams get to sort these heads of agreement?

I would say that it would need to be finalised (ie: exact contract figures) before the final list lodgement (after the draft periods) so that the AFL can tick off the clubs TPP before going into the 2021 season.

I would say that it would need to be finalised (ie: exact contract figures) before the final list lodgement (after the draft periods) so that the AFL can tick off the clubs TPP before going into the 2021 season.

So youre saying JDG signed on without knowing how much hes going to be paid? I find that hard to believe. Treloar is a little different as he had a contract with length and dollars already sorted, the dispute is where his money is coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a chance. If Collingwood were to piss De Goey off, I'd make multiple threads lauding them for it. I can't believe Collingwood supporters want to be associated with that prick.

So youre saying JDG signed on without knowing how much hes going to be paid? I find that hard to believe. Treloar is a little different as he had a contract with length and dollars already sorted, the dispute is where his money is coming from.

Who knows the specifics of how it all went down but I’m going to hazard a guess that they’ve agreed to a ball park figure over 2 years that may be massaged up or down slightly once other factors are established. ie: the Beams/Langdon payouts.

He may actually be signed but for some reason the club hasn’t made it public.

Ned Guy let it slip during trade week that Mihocek has re-signed too (which he admitted in the same interview he probably shouldn’t have released yet). This has still not been made public yet either but Brodie is already back running around Olympic park with his Pie team mates. Just because you haven’t heard it about it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened on the QT.

Who knows the specifics of how it all went down but I’m going to hazard a guess that they’ve agreed to a ball park figure over 2 years that may be massaged up or down slightly once other factors are established. ie: the Beams/Langdon payouts.

He may actually be signed but for some reason the club hasn’t made it public.

Ned Guy let it slip during trade week that Mihocek has re-signed too (which he admitted in the same interview he probably shouldn’t have released yet). This has still not been made public yet either but Brodie is already back running around Olympic park with his Pie team mates. Just because you haven’t heard it about it doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened on the QT.

What’s the driver for keeping the Mihocek re-signing so hush hush? It’s a good news story for Collingwood.

What’s the driver for keeping the Mihocek re-signing so hush hush? It’s a good news story for Collingwood.

You know what I’ve got no idea on that one. Very strange. I agree though; announcing the re-signing of Mihocek and JDG would give the supporters a little bit of positivity after the woeful trade period. Not sure why they haven’t.

Maybe he doesn't know what he's getting paid next season but the overall figure would've been worked out.

Who says you can’t verbally agree to a contract and sort out the exact contract terms later? You are living in fantasy land if you think that doesn’t happen. Its called a heads of agreement. Our circumstance this off season mean we have to deal with the unknowns of Beams & Langdon payouts (still to be advised by the AFL as to what needs to be included in the cap) & like everyone else reduced TPP and unknown list sizes which were unknown until recently. It’s a different time at the moment & it will get sorted. He will get a contract and get paid well. Not sure why you expect to be told when or how this occurs.

It was mentioned in the media during the week that it’s not unusual for clubs to work out the exact dollar contributions from both parties after trade week. I think they get an extra week to sort that out. In the Treloar case it seems this can’t be agreed to. Once again I ask you why you think this is all Collingwood’s fault? Based on the underwhelming trade return I’d say contributions to his new contract would be on the lesser side. That trade return doesn’t equal $300k per year.

Collingwood may be guilty of poor list management but I don’t get your outrage over JDG or Treloar contracts.

PS I admire your club greatly one of the best going around on and off the field but I’m really over the continuous Collingwood hate on the basis of information that really remains unfounded.

You took a pot shot with your comment about 'partner's working at Cotton On', so I responded in kind.

If you actually saw my posts in other threads, you'd be able to see that I've actually taken Collingwood's side on certain positions - such as in the case of posting articles in the past where they stated they'd only pay 100K.

I merely pointed out that your conduct would want to be legit, otherwise other clubs will take exception at preferential treatment. It was Ed who said that 'this happens all the time', to save face - but it really doesn't.

Anyway, I agree with some of what you've said and disagree with other parts - so we'll leave it there until we know more

From what I’m lead to believe (like Mihocek) he has agreed to an extension and for all intents and purposes he’s signed. If he wasn’t the media would be reporting on it every day. It’s called a heads of agreement. A verbal contract agreed to until specific particulars can be worked out.

I cannot see any way that could possibly go wrong. :drunk::thumbsu:

You took a pot shot with your comment about 'partner's working at Cotton On', so I responded in kind.

If you actually saw my posts in other threads, you'd be able to see that I've actually taken Collingwood's side on certain positions - such as in the case of posting articles in the past where they stated they'd only pay 100K.

I merely pointed out that your conduct would want to be legit, otherwise other clubs will take exception at preferential treatment. It was Ed who said that 'this happens all the time', to save face - but it really doesn't.

Anyway, I agree with some of what you've said and disagree with other parts - so we'll leave it there until we know more
What is your fascination with our forbidden trade of mystery?

I must honestly say that in my 50 years of following afl that i have never seen a club that has been in so much uncertainty with its salary cap
the De Goey , Stephenson , Mihocek , Treloar , Beams , Phillips situations are a real mess and just doesnt seem to end.

Has there ever been a trade where 2 clubs have been talking about a player then carrying out the trade to then afterwards not agree to the sum he is going to be covered by the old club ? You would have to ask yourself if the Treloar trade didnt happen or falls through how does the Pies resolve their Salary cap problem.

If the Doggies walk way from this (by refusing anything less than a $300k x 5 year contribution by collingwood) does Treloar go back to collingwood ? Does this then force De Goey into the draft due to cap problems ?

Looking at the list with players like Cox , Mayne , Sier , brown's etc you would have to ask - HOW ?

I must honestly say that in my 50 years of following afl that i have never seen a club that has been in so much uncertainty with its salary cap
the De Goey , Stephenson , Mihocek , Treloar , Beams , Phillips situations are a real mess and just doesnt seem to end.

Has there ever been a trade where 2 clubs have been talking about a player then carrying out the trade to then afterwards not agree to the sum he is going to be covered by the old club ? You would have to ask yourself if the Treloar trade didnt happen or falls through how does the Pies resolve their Salary cap problem.

If the Doggies walk way from this (by refusing anything less than a $300k x 5 year contribution by collingwood) does Treloar go back to collingwood ? Does this then force De Goey into the draft due to cap problems ?

Looking at the list with players like Cox , Mayne , Sier , brown's etc you would have to ask - HOW ?
It's because AFL house realised that Collingwood were doing the dodgy with Beams. They were paying him close to a minimum wage, in exchange for Eddie paying off his gambling debts. AFL got wind of it, and are allowing Collingwood to self manage their way out of this mess- but I can say with certainty, Eddie will not be President come round one. Beams "leaving", the fire sale and Geoff Walsh's "retirement" are the domino's to fall so far, and there will be more to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back