Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Responses below:

a) Why would Swanny step down from a job he loves, is good at, and is well paid for? I think he is overrated and is only staying in the role until 'The Reserve' is finished so he can point to some kind of 'legacy' a lot like Demetriou did with the introduction of Gold Coast and GWS and Gil with AFLW.

Leaders often stay beyond their tenure and often want to leave a 'legacy', even if it is only in their eyes.

In addition, I think Swann is the type that is more about him than the club even if it meant stepping aside and letting Noble taking the reigns. If he did, I doubt Noble is North.

b) Why has Noble leaving left us a man down? He sat in the box and Fagan often referenced his assistance and I haven't seen any announcements about a replacement.

c) If Noble wants to leave and challenge himself as a coach, why should the club try to stop him
He said only weeks before he was appointed coach at North than he saw himself as a Footy Administrator and had refuted ever wanting to coach on countless occasions. Perhaps he knew Swann was never going to leave so he started having second thoughts, which is a shame given Noble himself said he wanted to stay in Queensland long term as he was renovating / building a big house in Mt Tambourine and would be close to the Reserve.

d) Why is this change in management any different to business is other industries? Its not.

e) Why do you have such little faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way? Couple of reasons:

1. Because Noble was the standout between him, Fagan and Swann. Hell if Noble wanted to coach so badly, I don't know why a succession plan over the coming years wasn't put in place with Fagan, who will be gone in a year or two. The stats support that it is rare for coaches that haven't won a flag in the first 5 years of their tenure not to get one, so I don't support the need to keep on Fagan if he can't get one in 21 or 22. Noble would've been great replacement if that's what he wanted and would've been a seamless transition at the club.

2. Look how the club has handled things in the past from the likes of Gubby Allan to Voss's departure to the Paddlepop Lion are a few examples.

f) Why do you think Noble is the success factor and now he's gone things will fall apart? See above.
So, in your view, he will be a better CEO than Swann and a better senior coach than Fagan and we should have promised him whichever of the two roles he wanted. He's been a fantastic football manager but that's a massive call given he has performed neither of the roles you say he is perfect for. Let's see how he performs as coach before we call this a club failure. You do hold a grudge though. Gubby, Voss and Paddlepop - all years ago under a previous administration. How long are you going to drag up historical and frankly irrelevant events to support your rather tiresome and relentless criticism of the club and its current administration?

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
How long are you going to drag up historical and frankly irrelevant events to support your rather tiresome and relentless criticism of the club and its current administration?
The only person I've ever been critical of in the current administration is Greg Swann.

I think you'll find I've been very supportive of the likes of Sam Lord, David Noble, the Board, the Victorian Office of the club, Dom Ambrogio, Jacob Anson, Andrew Crowell and even Chris Fagan for the most part, but no doubt you're only interested in having a dig when I mention Greg Swann and grouping it as the "current administration".

When you're asked a question about having "faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way", then those events are relevant as it wasn't limited to the "current administration" and are representative of how the club has handled things in the past, nor has some of the recent appointments i.e. Fagan and Noble, been made or managed by the club (the AFL parachuted them in) directly.

Again, as I say to anyone on here, if my, or anyone else's comments for that matter are tiresome and relentless, then put me on the 'ignore list'. I'm told it is very easy to do, so please do so if you are so precious about my bashing of everything to do with the club. :rolleyes:

Again, as I say to anyone on here, if my, or anyone else's comments for that matter are tiresome and relentless, then put me on the 'ignore list'. I'm told it is very easy to do, so please do so if you are so precious about my bashing of everything to do with the club. :rolleyes:
Naaahhhh!
It’s good for a laugh😂 🤭

The only person I've ever been critical of in the current administration is Greg Swann.

I think you'll find I've been very supportive of the likes of Sam Lord, David Noble, the Board, the Victorian Office of the club, Dom Ambrogio, Jacob Anson, Andrew Crowell and even Chris Fagan for the most part, but no doubt you're only interested in having a dig when I mention Greg Swann and grouping it as the "current administration".

When you're asked a question about having "faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way", then those events are relevant as it wasn't limited to the "current administration" and are representative of how the club has handled things in the past, nor has some of the recent appointments i.e. Fagan and Noble, been made or managed by the club (the AFL parachuted them in) directly.

Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Pardon the intrusion, if who I have heard is the new replacement, you have a good one coming in.
Adem Yze, Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge?

Mark Stone- Current Glenelg FC coach here in the SANFL. Knows his footy.

As a Bays fan I'm shattered he's leaving. Led us to a flag after 33 years.

Yet to be announced, 10 minutes or so I believe.

I sorta hope I'm wrong.

You're not wrong.

Hoos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda looks a little like a young Ross Lyon in this photo.
1606809598884.jpeg

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It's mentioned in the article above, but he's spent a lot of time as a stoppages coach at AFL level.

Opposition and stoppages analyst at West Coast (2002-2006)
Stoppage coach at Sydney (2007-2011)
Stoppage coach/coordinator at Fremantle (2012-2016)
Head coach at Glenelg (2017-2020)

From 2010 onwards (because that's as far back as Footywire goes) the team he's coached at has finished first in average clearances in 2010, 2011 and 2015.

Interestingly Daly was the midfield coach specifically looking after spread and running patterns, before joining Leppa at the Lions as the stoppages coach.

So effectively, we're one down in the coaches box with Noble's departure?

Whilst I'm disappointed the club couldn't accommodate the retention of Noble, primarily that Swann didn't stand aside, I'm also disappointed that Noble has now effectively left us a man down without a suitable replacement at this stage of planning for 2021.

This aged incredibly well - it is almost like you can't immediately replace a guy and should probably not react so quickly so emotionally.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

Remove this Banner Ad

Back