Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

reid and hamish say they will follow their "talent" order. how tf would thilthorpe be on the top of their talent order.

The development trajectories are also a consideration when building a team.

Generally speaking, given that talls take longer to develop, you would take talls early in the rebuild, then midfielders. This way you get them hitting that prime at the same time.

This of course is in a perfect world but in reality you take the best talent and figure it out later.
History shows the opposite.
Franklin and Roughead after Hodge Mitchell Brown etc
Boyd after Macrae, String, Bont
Brown after Voss, Lappin, Aka, Black
Lynch after Cotchin, Martin, Vaustin, Prestia, Caddy
Ottens and Mooney after Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Enright, Corey

Great midfields help gun KPF develop quicker
Crap midfields destroy them

This is possibly even better to listen to:

It's the main Draft Central guys and the lads from the AFL Lystics podcast (which looks at list builds) doing a full three round live draft,all taking different teams.

This is far & away the best mock draft so far - so superior to Cal & friends. If you don't have a spare 2 hours then maybe somebody who listened will summarise their picks. I will on Thursday if necessary. Teaser - they select Hollands for Crows at Pick 1.

Look at Boyd and Patton both Number 1 picks and look how their careers panned out.

They hype on them was unbelievable. Especially Patton.

And well justified, especially for Patton.

We were robbed of a very special talent there.

Look at Boyd and Patton both Number 1 picks and look how their careers panned out.

They hype on them was unbelievable. Especially Patton.

To be fair Patton was perpetually injured. Can't help but wonder how good GWS could have been with both Jez and Patton firing all these years.

If.... I will be shocked if we don’t take him. My preference is Hollands but convinced we take RT

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
yep, you can never trust the crows to make the right decision. the b crouch situation showed me how stubborn they are.

if they were never going to offer crouch a 4/5 year deal then why didnt they trade him last year? because they're *ing idiots.

reigning best and fairest winner last year. would of got a top 10 pick at least.

Last edited:
Wasn't he a midfielder as a junior? He could run all day. I think we were hoping he would be in the mould of Richmonds mosquito fleet. As far as being a small forward, Mr Magoo would have a better shot at finding the big sticks.
Hamish gave an interview where he said what really attracted him to McHenry was his infectious personality. Apparently we really needed that fizz and bubble around the club at time.

History shows the opposite.
Franklin and Roughead after Hodge Mitchell Brown etc
Boyd after Macrae, String, Bont
Brown after Voss, Lappin, Aka, Black
Lynch after Cotchin, Martin, Vaustin, Prestia, Caddy
Ottens and Mooney after Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Enright, Corey

Great midfields help gun KPF develop quicker
Crap midfieldse with destroy them
Definitely one of the most intelligent things I’ve seen posted in this thread. Football fans fall in love with big key forwards, but the reality is that in modern footy they are totally dependent on great supply from elite midfielders. If you asked most fans who the best key forwards in the comp are, they would say Tom Lynch, Cameron and Hawkins, but look at the midfields delivering the ball to those guys.

fact is that with zones and players flooding back, there are no forwards that can turn a game on their own, they need the team to be turning the ball over in dangerous places and delivering the ball well and fast. if we take Any key forward at pick 1 this year with the midfield we currently have, then our fan base is going to have to have a lot of patience, because they won’t be playing at a high level for years.

Hollands, Perkins, Macrae, Carroll and maybe Poulter are the guys that will turn our team around the quickest, and bring the best out of our existing forwards.

Hamish gave an interview where he said what really attracted him to McHenry was his infectious personality. Apparently we really needed that fizz and bubble around the club at time.
He also said of Jones that he is a ripping kid from a great family. If only he had given a few thoughts to their football abilities as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we draft thilthorpe at 1 I think I'll just go support the team hollands plays for. I dont think I can handle two flops in one offseason. getting f'all for b crouch when we should've traded him last year and then taking tthilthorpe at 1.

I mean, how incompetent can you get.
How bout you just leave now? Do us all a favour.

Is it cool to hate Thilthorpe now? I mean it's not his fault we finished dead last and let Brad Crouch walk in exchange for a half eaten box of chicken crimpy's.

Is it cool to hate Thilthorpe now? I mean it's not his fault we finished dead last and let Brad Crouch walk in exchange for a half eaten box of chicken crimpy's.
I dont hate him. he's just not the best player in the draft.

Definitely one of the most intelligent things I’ve seen posted in this thread. Football fans fall in love with big key forwards, but the reality is that in modern footy they are totally dependent on great supply from elite midfielders. If you asked most fans who the best key forwards in the comp are, they would say Tom Lynch, Cameron and Hawkins, but look at the midfields delivering the ball to those guys.

fact is that with zones and players flooding back, there are no forwards that can turn a game on their own, they need the team to be turning the ball over in dangerous places and delivering the ball well and fast. if we take Any key forward at pick 1 this year with the midfield we currently have, then our fan base is going to have to have a lot of patience, because they won’t be playing at a high level for years.

Hollands, Perkins, Macrae, Carroll and maybe Poulter are the guys that will turn our team around the quickest, and bring the best out of our existing forwards.
Solid post.

It's amazing how many people can't connect the dots between having A grade midfielders and your forwards suddenly being good.

Similar to what I posted yesterday and 100% believe.

Without a strong core of midfielders drafting a key forward holds additional risk.

We need a strong core to deliver lace out.

I have no issue with any of McDonald/Hollands/Thilthorpe for our number one pick. You can make a solid case, for and against, for each of them. The club would have gathered mountains of info and intel, so to speak, on each of them. I'll trust that over BigFooty speak and highlight videos.

My fave of the three remains Hollands, but I can see why we would go for one of the other lads ahead of him.

I'm just excited at the prospect of potentially drafting a future legend of our football club.

This is far & away the best mock draft so far - so superior to Cal & friends. If you don't have a spare 2 hours then maybe somebody who listened will summarise their picks. I will on Thursday if necessary. Teaser - they select Hollands for Crows at Pick 1.
Interesting listen. Adelaide picks were Elijah Hollands, Caleb Poulter, Tom Powell, Bailey Laurie, Jackson Callow,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back