Geelongs salary cap - Does it need questioning?

Remove this Banner Ad

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol. Who, aside from Dangerfield and Cameron 5 years apart have we picked up?

Ablett? Doubt he would have been on peak salary.
Tuohy? Not exactly a superstar.
Steven? St Kilda were still paying for him.
Henderson? Oh yeah, the next Scarlett at the peak of his powers.
Gary Rohan? So beloved by Sydney fans, it's a wonder we could afford him.
Luke Dalhaus? Not exactly Dustin Martin is he
Josh Jenkins? World's first million dollar a game-r?
Rhys Stanley? Not content with being the marquee player for St Kilda he decided to carry the Geelong team on his considerable shoulders as well.

Good post . Thanks for sharing .

GO CATTERS

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yes very humble . Suppose better than being an insecure , salt ridden supporter of a club that has achieved nothing .

Zac Dawson was in a different role , was nit lauded as a game changer and did the defensive job his coach would have wanted , week in week out . But thanks for your reply . Didn’t know there were any Freo supporters .

Insecure? Far from it. Salt ridden fan that has won nothing?

I won't deny Freo has won nothing. Actually...... They don't have an empty trophy cabinet. Got a McClelland trophy that we won in 2015. Stupid and tedious I know.

Not salty one bit. Never been drawn into my poo fights between tigers and Eagles.

By the way. I did want Richmond to win the 2020 grand final.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes, their salary cap should be made public... just like every team should be.
I have no issues with this.

Some players are criminally underpaid and should be paid on how well they performed.

If players are getting paid $800,000 a year and are lazy or playing poorly, they deserved to be hounded.

Don't like it, threaten them to do work for the dole.

Reasonable to assume every club is rorting the salary cap to some extent.
Post-football opportunities and sponsorships, a nice job for the girlfriend, etc.
Not sure the AFL has the capabilities (or interest) in these sorts of things.

Bingo, lots of Geelong players and coaches have been involved in property development ventures around the Bellarine area. All clubs have board members and influential members who can provide opportunities to players. Bulldogs players have had several successful racehorses through Hunter and Hayes.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Insecure? Far from it. Salt ridden fan that has won nothing?

I won't deny Freo has won nothing. Actually...... They don't have an empty trophy cabinet. Got a McClelland trophy that we won in 2015. Spujds tedious I know.

Not salty one bit. Never been drawn into my poo fights between tigers and Eagles.

By the way. I did want Richmond to win the 2020 grand final.

A nice reply . Thanks . Well thought . Have a great Christmas.

BruceTempany14

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Bingo, lots of Geelong players and coaches have been involved in property development ventures around the Bellarine area. All clubs have board members and influential members who can provide opportunities to players. Bulldogs players have had several successful racehorses through Hunter and Hayes.

Same as tigers , especially with Nathan brown and Ben Holland back in Clinton Casey days .
They were investigated, it’s on the public record . But it seems must Geelong people can’t take this as an outcome , beyond reproach etc ... really insecure .

Go CATTERS

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Going to be good opening up another 800k or so next trade period with Selwood 99% likely retiring and landing a bloke worth 1 million take less to join us. It’ll help soften the blow of losing the greatest player Geelong’s had this millennium.

15 years of Joel is better than a couple peak years of Ablett Jnr.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The weirdest thing about this is if you look at our list there aren't many highly paid players. Compare is to Richmond for example. Like for like high paid players would be something like:

Hawkins = Reiwoldt
Dangerfield = Lynch
Selwood = Cotchin

I'd back that in total the 3 Geelong players are on less than the 3 Richmond players because Lynch is on a very high wage while I know all 3 of the Geelong players are on well less than they could get on the open market (likely same for Reiwoldt and Cotchin).

Of course Richmond still have Martin to fit in as well as AA players like Edwards, Grimes and Houli. Guys like Prestia, Vlastuin and Caddy would be on good money.

For Geelong Stewart would've been the next highest paid but then you've got non-AA players like Blicavs and Duncan, old guys like Taylor and Ablett and guys who had break out years so wouldn't have been on massive wages like Menegola and Guthrie.

You look player for player and it's pretty obvious that Geelong would've been paying significantly less than Richmond this year which is how they saved money for a guy like Cameron.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What evidence?

Heaven help if you end up on a jury!
Well I am not bagging or knocking Geelong.

Point is Harry Taylor was only on $500,000 a year. He retires and that money is filled up for Jeremy Cameron contract.

People cracked the poo about the swans getting Kurt Tippet for free and wondered how that they fit him under the cap.

Go back to 2009, swans were paying Barry Hall at least $600,000 a year. He gets traded off.

So who does the swans replace that FF spot on $600,000 a year? The swans poached a 32 year old Dan Bradshaw by the pre season draft. He was given a $600,000 a year for 3 years for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Bradshaw retires mid 2011. Swans still pay for his final year of his contract in 2012.

Essentially the swans replaced Bradshaw with Kurt Tippet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I am not bagging or knocking Geelong.

Point is Harry Taylor was only on $500,000 a year. He retires and that money is filled up for Jeremy Cameron contract.

People cracked the poo about the swans getting Kurt Tippet for free and wondered how that they fit him under the cap.

Go back to 2009, swans were paying Barry Hall at least $600,000 a year. He gets traded off.

So who does the swans replace that FF spot on $600,000 a year? The swans poached a 32 year old Dan Bradshaw by the pre season draft. He was given a $600,000 a year for 3 years for the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons.

Bradshaw retires mid 2011. Swans still pay for his final year of his contract in 2012.

Essentially the swans replaced Bradshaw with Kurt Tippet
Not sure if you've read previous posts? Geelong's ability to secure Jezza was three years in the making. That aside, Cats had a pot of money set aside for Tim Kelly in the hope he stayed. Harry Taylor and Gary Ablett have both retired. That's where the money has come from.

Not sure what the Swans has to do with Geelong?

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not sure if you've read previous posts? Geelong's ability to secure Jezza was three years in the making. That aside, Cats had a pot of money set aside for Tim Kelly in the hope he stayed. Harry Taylor and Gary Ablett have both retired. That's where the money has come from.

Not sure what the Swans has to do with Geelong?
yeah I just realised Tom Kelly Was on minimal wages in his 2 years at Geelong.

Point was back in 2012, a lot of Bigfooty posters complained about Sydney's cost of living allowance

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
There are various stories of Young Player X or Y having salary negotiations with Cook and the like, and one of the senior club legends being called into the office and asked what they get paid per year. The player is then left a bit dumbfounded at the fact that they are asking for more ca$h than Enright/Corey/Bartel etc.
Maybe. I did hear a similar story about Hawthorn back in the day where players asking for a pay bump were given Leigh Matthews contract and asked if they thought they were worth more than him.
Possibly urban myth but I’d like to think it was true.

Maybe. I did hear a similar story about Hawthorn back in the day where players asking for a pay bump were given Leigh Matthews contract and asked if they thought they were worth more than him.
Possibly urban myth but I’d like to think it was true.
Not the case at Collingwood

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Going to be good opening up another 800k or so next trade period with Selwood 99% likely retiring and landing a bloke worth 1 million take less to join us. It’ll help soften the blow of losing the greatest player Geelong’s had this millennium.

15 years of Joel is better than a couple peak years of Ablett Jnr.

I would never undersell what Joel has done for us, but while it’s no coincidence that our rise to, and subsequent tenure near the top, happened the exact year he showed up, I think us just getting there owed as much to Ablett reaching that peak as it did to anyone else.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Being a Chooks NRL fan I cop this every year. The problem is people don’t seem to look at anything beyond names on a sheet of paper.

With the roosters it’s the sheer inability for anyone to realise that at any given time you could make a representative team out of players we’ve let go.

With Geelong it’s this idea that we get by based on this fistful of top end superstars.

Let’s have a look at it:

Hawkins is a career cat. For the best part of a decade he was the punching bag of the league for being a ‘built like Tarzan plays like Jane’ prototype. Cats fans knew better, but he is going on 32, is the son of a club legend and was never going to play anywhere else. It’s not like we’ve had to pay overs to get him and keep him.

Selwood is 32. He is long past his best. He is still incredibly valuable to the club but he’s not going to be on peak salary.

Dangerfield would have been when we got him but he too is 30. We aren’t going to be giving him Rowell or Cripps money now.

They are the only 3 superstars we have until Cameron plays a game.

Tom Stewart is our next best player and while I think he is f***ing fantastic, it’s not like we had to lure him away.

Ablett would have been on good money - he’s Gary Ablett - but he was also 33 when he came back.

Taylor was the best CHB in the comp. a decade ago. Doubt he’d have been on freak figures. At any rate, they are both gone now so it’s money we aren’t paying.

Who’s our next best player? Guthrie? Again, every non Cat fan and half the guys who DO support us were happy to mock him at every turn until 22 games ago. Is he suddenly a million dollar player?

Apply some logic for goodness sake

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I would never undersell what Joel has done for us, but while it’s no coincidence that our rise to, and subsequent tenure near the top, happened the exact year he showed up, I think us just getting there owed as much to Ablett reaching that peak as it did to anyone else.
I agree with you mate but Geelong only saw 4 peak years of his career and let’s not pretend he was anything great the last few seasons in particular this one where he was literally getting selected on reputation and name alone. I’ll take 15 years of Selwood over a bloke who plays here for 12 years but was only a star for 4 of them (07-10). Maybe a 5th season being 2019.

For what it’s worth - No Cronk No Roosters 😏

Being a Chooks NRL fan I cop this every year. The problem is people don’t seem to look at anything beyond names on a sheet of paper.

With the roosters it’s the sheer inability for anyone to realise that at any given time you could make a representative team out of players we’ve let go.

With Geelong it’s this idea that we get by based on this fistful of top end superstars.

Let’s have a look at it:

Hawkins is a career cat. For the best part of a decade he was the punching bag of the league for being a ‘built like Tarzan plays like Jane’ prototype. Cats fans knew better, but he is going on 32, is the son of a club legend and was never going to play anywhere else. It’s not like we’ve had to pay overs to get him and keep him.

Selwood is 32. He is long past his best. He is still incredibly valuable to the club but he’s not going to be on peak salary.

Dangerfield would have been when we got him but he too is 30. We aren’t going to be giving him Rowell or Cripps money now.

They are the only 3 superstars we have until Cameron plays a game.

Tom Stewart is our next best player and while I think he is f***ing fantastic, it’s not like we had to lure him away.

Ablett would have been on good money - he’s Gary Ablett - but he was also 33 when he came back.

Taylor was the best CHB in the comp. a decade ago. Doubt he’d have been on freak figures. At any rate, they are both gone now so it’s money we aren’t paying.

Who’s our next best player? Guthrie? Again, every non Cat fan and half the guys who DO support us were happy to mock him at every turn until 22 games ago. Is he suddenly a million dollar player?

Apply some logic for goodness sake
Forgetting Mitch Duncan who’s been the most underrated player at our club for the last 6 seasons.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

There were a lot of factors that needed to click in 2007. Ablett and Ottens are the top two for me.

Suits the mythology, but Selwood’s arrival wasn’t a major factor that year. Nice cream on top.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with you mate but Geelong only saw 4 peak years of his career and let’s not pretend he was anything great the last few seasons in particular this one where he was literally getting selected on reputation and name alone. I’ll take 15 years of Selwood over a bloke who plays here for 12 years but was only a star for 4 of them (07-10). Maybe a 5th season being 2019.

Disagree on this. Ablett’s four peak years were comfortably ahead of anything Selwood has ever produced. He was already a good player before 2007 he just became a standout midfield star.

Selwood won’t have his longevity’s either.

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Disagree on this. Ablett’s four peak years were comfortably ahead of anything Selwood has ever produced. He was already a good player before 2007 he just became a standout midfield star.

Selwood won’t have his longevity’s either.
Ablett didn’t really do anything after the 2014 season so there’s no longevity there.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
There were a lot of factors that needed to click in 2007. Ablett and Ottens are the top two for me.

Suits the mythology, but Selwood’s arrival wasn’t a major factor that year. Nice cream on top.

Certainly didn’t hurt but I don’t think by any means that it’s a case of ‘take Joel out and we don’t win’ whereas the likes of Ablett, Chapman to me, Johnson and as you pointed out, Ottens, were the major factors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back