List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers very keen to draft Henry Walsh
The question is do either team need him (I understand you are just reporting the status - Thanks). Both have young promising ruckmen. Henry looks like someone put his brother on the rack and stretched him 6 inches. They are both the same width. Looks 4 years minimum away from being able to play and while we have seen him train he hasn't played for 12 months. With reduced list sizes I don't think we can carry project players.

Smart play if that is their intention.

JUH cops the deserved heat, and their #2 gets to develop without the same level of scrutiny.

And pick #2 forever knows that he isn't the player that the Crows wanted.

The clear reason might be that we simply rate him and think he'd replace a player we could use just as well in another position. I don't know why some people seem to find notions like that so radical (not necessarily yourself). Only the future will tell if such a move would be stupid or not, although I'd prefer another pick for this year in such a trade rather than a future third, although I haven't checked the drafter order for such a scenario.
Scrap that bit, I was trying to be a bit too tricky and confused myself.

Anyone know what the bulldogs picks would look like after they match?

Pick 1 - 3000 points - 20% NGA discount = 2400 (edit: Fixed)

Bulldogs

Pick 29 - 653
Pick 33 - 563 (1216)
Pick 41 - 412 (1628)
Pick 42 - 395 (2023)
Pick 52 - 246 (2269)
Pick 54 - 240 (2509)

Last edited:
There are better developing ruck prospects than Walsh in this draft - a couple likely to be available at our second pick. Walsh is tempting primarily due to his pedigree and association with the club.

Which I think carry's some weight. A united happy club with a happy Sam and Henry Walsh isn't bad thing.

Not saying that's the only reason you pick Henry (or is it "Our 'Enry") but also should be dismissed either.

Pick 1 - 3000 points - 15% father/son discount = 2550

Bulldogs

Pick 29 - 653
Pick 33 - 563 (1216)
Pick 41 - 412 (1628)
Pick 42 - 395 (2023)
Pick 52 - 246 (2269)
Pick 54 - 240 (2509)

Bulldogs go into a 41 point deficit next year

Bulldogs get JUH and end their draft.
Only need 2400 points to match, they have 2489. They'll end up with JUG and a pick around 65.

The question is do either team need him (I understand you are just reporting the status - Thanks). Both have young promising ruckmen. Henry looks like someone put his brother on the rack and stretched him 6 inches. They are both the same width. Looks 4 years minimum away from being able to play and while we have seen him train he hasn't played for 12 months. With reduced list sizes I don't think we can carry project players.

The Walsh boys have it in the genes simply some well grounded values and no nonsense attitude, maturity great work ethic and determination to succeed,
Head down bum up and hard work types, they succeed every time anywhere in any sport and life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an article yesterday stating they needed 2400 points to match. Just looking for it now.

You're right. I used the F/S discount not the NGA discount.

I think an athletic ruckman like Walsh would suit our squad. TDK and Pitt aren’t enough, we need a 3rd option especially with Cas to move on in the next year or 2.

We are ahead with regards to Walsh as we are the only team to have seen him up close this year when he spent a week at the club.

if he has taken that next step then I hope we get him.

Him & TDK can work in tandem more so than Pitt & TDK

Is that an issue? JUH has been touted as the best player in this pool from a long way back, and it's only his NGA status that has previously precluded him from potential #1 discussions.

You'd think however the Crows take would have enough emotional maturity to acknowledge their standing in the draft rankings, and I'm sure any they wouldn't hold it against Adelaide for doing the right thing and make the Bulldogs pay the maximum for the best player available.

I think an athletic ruckman like Walsh would suit our squad. TDK and Pitt aren’t enough, we need a 3rd option especially with Cas to move on in the next year or 2.

We are ahead with regards to Walsh as we are the only team to have seen him up close this year when he spent a week at the club.

if he has taken that next step then I hope we get him.

Him & TDK can work in tandem more so than Pitt & TDK

TDK has gone from being a project ruckman to a legitimate AFL standard ruck who with a lot of improvement to come. Pitto is a developed ruck, who can take the number 1 mantle at times.

We definitely need at least one developing ruckman on the list, and Walsh might fit the bill.

There's more to it than just that, though -

1. Doesn't the #1 pick still get a 10K gift? Why deprive the player you were always going to get anyway, that sort of money?
2. Adelaide doesn't have claim to recruiting the best kid in the land. May mean little to us here, but it does mean something to some.
3. Any additional media that may come along with having the number one player in the land now gets passed onto The Bulldogs.

Means little to me, but I'm surprised that they're only going to be able to say that they got the second best player in the country.

The issue we may have there is that even if * match the bid, we may still have to burn our 2nd round pick for on Walsh anyway if we're that keen on him.

Our next pick is currently at 74, so there's a lot of picks until we get our next turn, and * currently have #73 so could still trump us if he's still on the board.

It may all just be a bit of bluff from Dodoro to force our hand - so it really gets down to how highly we rate big Henry, and if there are other options like a Mallard that would be available.

73 will come in, but a portion of that would be eaten up matching the bid

So let me get this straight.

I picked Poulter yesterday in my phantom draft for the Giants.

I said Poulter is "my guy" this year ie. I have him rated higher than just about everything I've seen.

But I also said I don't see how we get him unless we trade up for him and even then I'm not convinced he's a great fit for us.

And now Twomey in his latest update specifically mentions Carlton as being keen on him.

Callum - please send me a PM. I know you're reading this.

Watched his highlights and a nice size to him and good mover. Like his use of handball as well..

However I can't the only one who thought of this when watching Poulter ??

sidebu.jpg download.jpg

If the Crows wanted to be seen as picking the best talent in the draft, not the best talent available to them in the draft, they would make a point of stating they have no hesitation in bidding on a player.

They won't bid on JUH, this should just reinforce that.

Brand is well in that range, so a bid would be justified

Doesn't really matter about the subplots, if Crows think he is the best player, you make the bid
Do we have any players in these academies? The dogs obviously have a very talented one. How did they score him? Obviously I don’t know anything about them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back