List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think the player drafted behind JUH at the Crows will be that concerned with not getting the 10K extra payment. If the kid is worth being the 2nd best kid in the land, he will more than make up that over his career

Taking a kid after JUH also relieves pressure

Lastly, it's perception, how many kids selected at pick 1, became the best player of their draft

It truly is a non event

Last edited:
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The question is do either team need him (I understand you are just reporting the status - Thanks). Both have young promising ruckmen. Henry looks like someone put his brother on the rack and stretched him 6 inches. They are both the same width. Looks 4 years minimum away from being able to play and while we have seen him train he hasn't played for 12 months. With reduced list sizes I don't think we can carry project players.
Sam doesn't play small, though. There have been multiple aerial contests - and I'm not talking the ones in which he's gotten crunched by KPP/ruckmen - in which he's suddenly seemed to grow a foot upwards and around the shoulders and exploded upwards to take a mark against supposedly stronger players who are better overhead.

I get that his brother isn't him, but width alone does not make one strong or weak.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Poulter is an interesting prospect. Seems to bully smaller opponents due to his height and general strength, but his nous seems fine. Reminds me a bit of Charlie Ballard (also an SA player) in his draft year who played in the midfield and forward, but had the height and read to be moulded and redeployed in defence.

You can often get pretty lucky with interstate players if their local clubs (in this instance Port/Crows) aren't keen or don't have the picks, so he's certainly the type of player who'd slip down the order. Not having a clear position at AFL level probably works in our favour.

Port's Pick 35 will be eaten by Jones, so really if he gets past Adelaide's early 20's picks he might even get all the way to our second pick.
Kid can move, can dispose, and dispose with accuracy and pace. Issue seems to be he's quite upright with his running style, which means he doesn't respond well to being tackled front on or from the waist, an issue that will become more prevalent against players that match-up better to him physically.

Will be interesting to see how clubs project his physical development, and its impact on his game style. I think he'll adapt, and I think there's room for his pace off the mark to increase rather than seeing him inherently slow down, though I think his top speed may come away a little bit depending on how his hamstrings are developed relative to his inner thighs, back and lower abdomen.

At his best, an exciting balanced midfielder, at his worst, Whiley of Carlton/GWS fame, but with better disposal (and hopefully no dodgy hamstrings).

You're right. I used the F/S discount not the NGA discount.
Had me panicking I'd forgotten the next-gen changes. There's no change to the percentages, just next year it will be a fixed discount when applied:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Kid can move, can dispose, and dispose with accuracy and pace. Issue seems to be he's quite upright with his running style, which means he doesn't respond well to being tackled front on or from the waist, an issue that will become more prevalent against players that match-up better to him physically.

Will be interesting to see how clubs project his physical development, and its impact on his game style. I think he'll adapt, and I think there's room for his pace off the mark to increase rather than seeing him inherently slow down, though I think his top speed may come away a little bit depending on how his hamstrings are developed relative to his inner thighs, back and lower abdomen.

At his best, an exciting balanced midfielder, at his worst, Whiley of Carlton/GWS fame, but with better disposal (and hopefully no dodgy hamstrings).

Had me panicking I'd forgotten the next-gen changes. There's no change to the percentages, just next year it will be a fixed discount when applied:

RoundCurrent20212022
1st Round (Pick 1 – 20)20% discountNo accessNo access
2nd Round (Pick 21 – 40)197 points197 pointsNo access
3rd Round (Pick 41 - 60)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
4th Round (Pick 61 +)197 pointsUse next available selectionUse next available selection
Rookie ListAny undrafted playerAny undrafted playerAny undrafted player

He's definitely an interesting all-round package. Hasn't got anything that particularly stands out other than his height, but there are a number areas that are already good-very which can be developed and massaged into really strong characteristics at AFL level. His kicking, above average pace etc.

I could see him becoming similar to someone like Kyle Langford, but he's also a genuine midfielder with smarts and his transition (at AFL level) from being an accumulating flanker to a consistent tall inside mid wouldn't be too surprising either. I can't see an obvious comparison, but with his general skillset he should be able to be used in a variety of roles.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
TDK has gone from being a project ruckman to a legitimate AFL standard ruck who with a lot of improvement to come. Pitto is a developed ruck, who can take the number 1 mantle at times.

We definitely need at least one developing ruckman on the list, and Walsh might fit the bill.
And you can pick up cheap ruckmen ala Pitt but, there are more Sauce Jacobs to GWS stories than genuine successes in that pool. Like Grundy, draft and develop your own players/stars so you know what you have and build a culture.

If he warrants a selection, draft the boy, just don't overspend. Late pick or rookie.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
Sam doesn't play small, though. There have been multiple aerial contests - and I'm not talking the ones in which he's gotten crunched by KPP/ruckmen - in which he's suddenly seemed to grow a foot upwards and around the shoulders and exploded upwards to take a mark against supposedly stronger players who are better overhead.

I get that his brother isn't him, but width alone does not make one strong or weak.
Michael Tuck v Rene Kink

Who you got?

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades

AM-7326-0520-Editorial-Phantom-Form-Guide_DecemberUpdate_27.jpg

192cm/79kg
12/10/02
Woodville West Torrens/South Australia
Midfielder

Poulter has a point of difference when assessing him against other midfielders in his part of the draft, and it is his height. The Woodville-West Torrens midfielder enjoyed a consistent and productive season, averaging 25 disposals and three clearances. He can play inside and outside and is a sweeping left-foot kick.

Where does he go? Appears set to be taken in the second round. Carlton has an interest and he could get through to their first pick at No.31. Adelaide is also a possible destination with its pair of second-round picks.
Another midfielder? Don't we have enough draftees that fit the bill right now? Competition for spots is good for the kids developing, but too much and it becomes wasted talent. Dow, Stocker, Cunners, Kemp, O'Brien, Philp and Kennedy are more than enough for young midfield depth. Plus, I think a small forward, KPD and possibly a ruck is much more important to target instead.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
He's definitely an interesting all-round package. Hasn't got anything that particularly stands out other than his height, but there are a number areas that are already good-very which can be developed and massaged into really strong characteristics at AFL level. His kicking, above average pace etc.

I could see him becoming similar to someone like Kyle Langford, but he's also a genuine midfielder with smarts and his transition (at AFL level) from being an accumulating flanker to a consistent tall inside mid wouldn't be too surprising either. I can't see an obvious comparison, but with his general skillset he should be able to be used in a variety of roles.
From an athletic and raw skill perspective, Langford with better disposal would be the minimum expectation.

Another midfielder? Don't we have enough draftees that fit the bill right now? Competition for spots is good for the kids developing, but too much and it becomes wasted talent. Dow, Stocker, Cunners, Kemp, O'Brien, Philp and Kennedy are more than enough for young midfield depth. Plus, I think a small forward, KPD and possibly a ruck is much more important to target instead.

We're past that point right now where we're fishing with dynamite.
We saw the focus of the List Management team via the trade period and needs will come into play via this draft.......if the numbers add up.
All things being equal (close to equal) we'll again target what we need above just adding more of the same.

Even though Cameron Bruce wasn't speaking about the draft, his interview is worth a listen.
It's quite revealing in terms of game plan, focus on utilising the right players at where they'll perform best, cohesion etc.

"We've consolidated where our list is at and the last thing we want to be doing is chopping and changing too many players' positions.".......Good way to go.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Anyone know what the bulldogs picks would look like after they match?
If the Crows bid at 1 the Dogs will be left with a pick in the 60s and pick 90 as the rest of there picks equate to 2489 and they will need 2400 with the discount of 20%.

Last edited:

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
So let me get this straight.

I picked Poulter yesterday in my phantom draft for the Giants.

I said Poulter is "my guy" this year ie. I have him rated higher than just about everything I've seen.

But I also said I don't see how we get him unless we trade up for him and even then I'm not convinced he's a great fit for us.

And now Twomey in his latest update specifically mentions Carlton as being keen on him.

Callum - please send me a PM. I know you're reading this.

If we're keen on him does that mean we trade up

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Which I think carry's some weight. A united happy club with a happy Sam and Henry Walsh isn't bad thing.

Not saying that's the only reason you pick Henry (or is it "Our 'Enry") but also should be dismissed either.
Plus there is another Walsh coming after Henry, Tom I think his name is.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There's more to it than just that, though -

1. Doesn't the #1 pick still get a 10K gift? Why deprive the player you were always going to get anyway, that sort of money?
2. Adelaide doesn't have claim to recruiting the best kid in the land. May mean little to us here, but it does mean something to some.
3. Any additional media that may come along with having the number one player in the land now gets passed onto The Bulldogs.

Means little to me, but I'm surprised that they're only going to be able to say that they got the second best player in the country.
Chances are the Crows will end up picking Thilthorpe anyway and no one considers him the best young prospect in the Country so it matters not whether they take him at 1 or 2.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Do we have any players in these academies? The dogs obviously have a very talented one. How did they score him? Obviously I don’t know anything about them.
Please don’t get me started on the scam that is the academy system it will ruin my day.

AT97

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Is next Years draft projected to be far stronger than 2020? If not, would we consider doing some sort of swap with gold coast this year at 5 and our next years first (with some things around the edges to balance things up)?

just thinking as they apparently will prelist a couple of first rounder quality players they may look to get out of this year.

Potentially gets us a tall Kpd.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Michael Tuck v Rene Kink

Who you got?
I never saw either play.

Most of the time, I'll take the skinny bloke that's deceptively strong over the gorilla. One of these two has trouble getting up to their top speed and changing direction, where the other will only occasionally get beaten for strength but will get to an awful lot of contests and at least halve them if not win them outright.

Back