List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Great question - and even after doing that why didn’t we also then trade our future third and get 27 and use 27 and 31 to get into the teens and pick up Macrae or someone else promising.

No need to move up now to grab Macrae if we want him.

We can move up at any point until he is off the board on draft night.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Great question - and even after doing that why didn’t we also then trade our future third and get 27 and use 27 and 31 to get into the teens and pick up Macrae or someone else promising.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We used our 3rd and future 3rd to get pick 31.

The question is why we didn't try and get pick 27 to begin with and if Gold Coast were willing to accept a single future 3rd for 27, how did we end up overpaying the way we did?

Or even trade a future 2nd for 27 and 31, which could then be packaged up to move up the draft board into the first round.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
No need to move up now to grab Macrae if we want him.

We can move up at any point until he is off the board on draft night.

Regardless, our trade is either a result of very poor planning or shows a lack of insight and knowledge.

I was critical when Austin handed over pick 8 for Saad. In fairness, one could argue either way as to whether that trade represents value or not as Saad is a mature age player and brings some traits we're lacking. However, our pick swap to move up the board to 31 isn't subjective. The deal we made blows big time.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I never saw either play.

Most of the time, I'll take the skinny bloke that's deceptively strong over the gorilla. One of these two has trouble getting up to their top speed and changing direction, where the other will only occasionally get beaten for strength but will get to an awful lot of contests and at least halve them if not win them outright.
It was just a throw away comparison to support the argument. Tuck was a skinny monster who quietly destroyed teams and won flags. Kink was a man mountain who struggled on big games, often gave away free kicks trying to physically impose himself. Very talented, kicked with both feet well. They typical */Filth Home and Away bully. Proves your comparison in that era.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Has it occurred to you that Gold Coast don't like us much?

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Honestly, it would have been a better move for us to employ the services of someone like Matt Rendell. He provided really good insight during trade week and was very knowledgeable. Clearly knows his stuff and has been apart of some very good recruiting decisions.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Regardless, our trade is either a result of very poor planning or shows a lack of insight and knowledge.

I was critical when Austin handed over pick 8 for Saad. In fairness, one could argue either way as to whether that trade represents value or not as Saad is a mature age player and brings some traits we're lacking. However, our pick swap to move up the board to 31 isn't subjective. The deal we made blows big time.
Sydney traded our third rounder for pick 37. We can't make a trade for a deal that wasn't on the table.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Sydney traded our third rounder for pick 37. We can't make a trade for a deal that wasn't on the table.

Clearly a deal of pick 27 for a future 3rd was an option if we had gone direct to GC because that's the deal Geelong made.

There's no excuses for this. It's poor insight and planning by Austin.

No, but it's becoming apparent that Austin is the Brendan Bolton of List Managers.

You've lost your mind just a little too early...and as far as Bolton is concerned....our issue seems to have been in throwing the keys to the city ...ala hot potato....to the next newbie in order to 'hope' they'd take us to the promised land.

Right now, Austin has already done a lot more right than he has done wrong.
Maybe SOS wold have done it better...maybe not....we'll never know for sure. Maybe it will matter and maybe it won't. We've done well to date, though.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
It's basically the same deal...We were ever only going to use two picks this year and we have used our future 3rd to get pick 31

It's not because this years 3rd rounder could have been packaged up with other picks to move further up the order.

I'm leaving it there. Not going to continue the debate.

Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Sorry if this has been discussed on here before but it's been a while since I was on here, but what are everyone's thoughts on Jake Bowey for our first pick? Seems to fill a need for small forward/outside mid and is a classic "would be a top 10 pick if he wasn't tiny" kind of player.

From what I've read and seen I really like him for our first pick (provided he's still there).

31 for 48 and a future 3rd seems more than reasonable to me.

You seem to be placing an absurd value on a pick that may push out towards 50.

Doing it differently to the way you'd do it doesn't make it poorly planned or executed nor does it show a lack of insight or knowledge. That's just silly.

And the Saad deal is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

No, but it's becoming apparent that Austin is the Brendan Bolton of List Managers.

Please. Head to the club Facebook page if you want to put forward that kind of garbage.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
31 for 48 and a future 3rd seems more than reasonable to me.

You seem to be placing an absurd value on a pick that may push out towards 50.

Doing it differently to the way you'd do it doesn't make it poorly planned or executed nor does it show a lack of insight or knowledge. That's just silly.

And the Saad deal is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Please. Head to the club Facebook page if you want to put forward that kind of garbage.

That pick 48 would most likely come in 11 spots by the time you factor in picks consumed by matching academy/father son prospects. So it's not really pick 48. We're really talking about pick 37, which is pretty much an end of 2nd/start of 3rd rounder.

It could have been used as currency to move up to Hawthorn's pick 24 should a bid on Downie be placed before their 2nd pick.

Saad was just another example of us overpaying/undervaluing our draft currency.

Draft order summarised below.

31 (now carlton)
32 Fremantle - academy prospects probably taken after this selection.
33 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
34 Swans (points for Campbell and Gulden)
35 Port Adelaide (points for Jones)

36 Richmond - bid for Rioli probably after this selection.
37 Sydney (points for Campbell and Gulden)
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Adelaide - don't appear to be going after academy prospects in the ND.
41 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
42 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
43 Sydney (points for Campbell and Gulden)
44 Essendon (points for Brand)
45 Hawthorn (points for Downie)
46 Hawthorn (points for Downie)
47 Port Adelaide (points for Jones)

48 (now sydney, was carlton)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
You've lost your mind just a little too early...and as far as Bolton is concerned....our issue seems to have been in throwing the keys to the city ...ala hot potato....to the next newbie in order to 'hope' they'd take us to the promised land.

Right now, Austin has already done a lot more right than he has done wrong.
Maybe SOS wold have done it better...maybe not....we'll never know for sure. Maybe it will matter and maybe it won't. We've done well to date, though.

Throwing the keys to Bolton is just conjecture, no matter how many times you say it

Back