List Mgmt. Carlton's 2020 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So last year the Suns traded:

Pick 17 & 22 > Pick 11
Pick 11 (Future) > Pick 27

Now Pick 27 > Future 3rd Round pick

So they’ve traded the equivalent of Picks 17 & 22 for a 3rd Round Pick.

Joke of an organisation. Take handouts and then give gifts to the rest of the league. Can’t wait to take Rowell off them in a few years.

That pick 48 would most likely come in 11 spots by the time you factor in picks consumed by matching academy/father son prospects. So it's not really pick 48. We're really talking about pick 37, which is pretty much an end of 2nd/start of 3rd rounder.

It could have been used as currency to move up to Hawthorn's pick 24 should a bid on Downie be placed before their 2nd pick.

Saad was just another example of us overpaying/undervaluing our draft currency.

Draft order summarised below.

31 (now carlton)
32 Fremantle - academy prospects probably taken after this selection.
33 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
34 Swans (points for Campbell and Gulden)
35 Port Adelaide (points for Jones)

36 Richmond - bid for Rioli probably after this selection.
37 Sydney (points for Campbell and Gulden)
38 Carlton
39 North Melbourne
40 Adelaide - don't appear to be going after academy prospects in the ND.
41 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
42 Western Bulldogs (points for JUH)
43 Sydney (points for Campbell and Gulden)
44 Essendon (points for Brand)
45 Hawthorn (points for Downie)
46 Hawthorn (points for Downie)
47 Port Adelaide (points for Jones)

48 (now sydney, was carlton)

So you’re saying that pock 48 would have come in say 11 picks but don’t mention the fact pick 31 will come in too?

So you’re saying that pock 48 would have come in say 11 picks but don’t mention the fact pick 31 will come in too?

It won't.

Take a good look at the draft order and you'll understand why it won't come in.

Without having the list of academy and FS players handy it’s hard, the Dogs pick at 29 will disappear, a few others may too.

Draft selections only come in if more than one pick is used before your pick to match a bid.

No club is using two picks before 31 to match bids for academy or F/S players.

So effectively that pick 29 will be substituted for say picks 1,2 or 3 for JUH and the other picks are wiped out, which means selections beyond pick 29 come in n-1 places (n being the total number of picks used to match a bid).

48 + future 3rd into 31 is a good deal for us. I assume 31 will be trade up again for a player we’ve identified.

GC doing GC things does not make our trade a poor one. I can forgive Austin for not taking into account how stupid their list management can be. There is something suss going on between GC and Geelong anyway. 27 + 48 would’ve been better but it’s much of a muchness, we most likely pass on 48 anyway.

Only guess is GC only using 1 draft pick this year, as they can just sign those other two academy players.
So the points associated to a R3 pick next year is of more value to them.

Makes a little little little bit of sense, but when you look at the trade over the last years trade period too they are serious dumb dumbs

Only guess is GC only using 1 draft pick this year, as they can just sign those other two academy players.
So the points associated to a R3 pick next year is of more value to them.

Makes a little little little bit of sense, but when you look at the trade over the last years trade period too they are serious dumb dumbs

As bullish as I am on our 2021 season, surely our future 3rd is more attractive than Geelong’s? I wonder if something changed between the Sydney trade and now or if we just overlooked GC.

No, but it's becoming apparent that Austin is the Brendan Bolton of List Managers.
Apparently he makes a great cup of coffee exactly the way francis jackson likes it.

But that is a strange deal for GC to accept and you would have thought they would have got a better pick on draft night, Even stranger that GC traded their own 3rd rounder to Richmond for Markov when #27 would have suited both teams better

As bullish as I am on our 2021 season, surely our future 3rd is more attractive than Geelong’s? I wonder if something changed between the Sydney trade and now or if we just overlooked GC.
I have no doubt that we didn't overlook GCS, or any other possible avenue, in order to move up the draft order.

It just seems a bizarre trade for GCS when our future 3rd would likely be better value to them that the Cats. Something just doesn't seem right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That pick 48 would most likely come in 11 spots by the time you factor in picks consumed by matching academy/father son prospects. So it's not really pick 48. We're really talking about pick 37, which is pretty much an end of 2nd/start of 3rd rounder.

Again, you are placing an absurd value on a future 3rd that may push out towards 50 next year. Not exactly a difficult pick to recoup should we want to.

It's a very small price to pay to move up the order which we've clearly done to give ourselves additional flexibility on the night.

It could have been used as currency to move up to Hawthorn's pick 24 should a bid on Downie be placed before their 2nd pick.

Please don't delude yourself into thinking these sorts of discussions wouldn't have been had over the past month or so.

We could have done lots of things with the pick. That we did one thing but you favour what another club did doesn't invalidate what we did.

It's a ridiculous way of looking at things.

Saad was just another example of us overpaying/undervaluing our draft currency.

Think it's more a case of finding another example to push a ridiculous and unfounded agenda that Nick Austin is the devil.

You've lost your mind just a little too early...and as far as Bolton is concerned....our issue seems to have been in throwing the keys to the city ...ala hot potato....to the next newbie in order to 'hope' they'd take us to the promised land.
Without continuing to rehash old news, do you really think this?

My recollection of that period was that we rebuilt the club with four pillars: MLG, Trigg, Bolton and Silvagni. All four opted into the rebuild, and created new Carlton; not demanding unearned or discarded respect, but forthrightedly trying to earn it. To do it properly, and to do it as a whole club. They four have been awfully good for us, Harker. It kind of grates at me the idea that you can discard the idea that Trigg and MLG both decided on the path forward, and used Bolton to embody it.

Bolton, Trigg and SOS might be gone now, but the legacy they left behind is pretty decent.

Honestly, it would have been a better move for us to employ the services of someone like Matt Rendell. He provided really good insight during trade week and was very knowledgeable. Clearly knows his stuff and has been apart of some very good recruiting decisions.
Sorry E65. Rendell was playing guessing games most of the trade period. I listened to more than I would like to admit. Struggled for names, rules, interpretations of rules and lived on having some remnants of insider knowledge. Notice how SOS let nothing go? Except at Carlton where there was predictable animosity? Game and recruiting has moved on from Rendell types. Austin will have early teething problems that won’t hurt the club and sharpen the axe as a result.

It just seems a bizarre trade for GCS when our future 3rd would likely be better value to them that the Cats. Something just doesn't seem right.

I figure they sold their later pick first, as the earlier pick would be easier to move, potentially for a higher price.
But 2020 #27 is just not worth what it would be most years. Surely GC went for the highest bidder? Anyway, they've got 2 more future 3rd rounders for points, for trading out picks they weren't going to use.

My recollection of that period was that we rebuilt the club with four pillars: MLG, Trigg, Bolton and Silvagni. All four opted into the rebuild, and created new Carlton; not demanding unearned or discarded respect, but forthrightedly trying to earn it. To do it properly, and to do it as a whole club. They four have been awfully good for us, Harker. It kind of grates at me the idea that you can discard the idea that Trigg and MLG both decided on the path forward, and used Bolton to embody it.

Bolton, Trigg and SOS might be gone now, but the legacy they left behind is pretty decent.

Trigg and Bolton were directly responsible for the change of culture at the club. Silvagni rebuilt the list from square one and offered hope because of his status.

I feel for Bolton in that he did what the club said we were going to do. The club knew that and didn't want to sack him but sponsors and powerbrokers lost faith. Bolton should have played more senior players at times and given the guys that winning feeling, but he was not completely responsible for failing.

Bolton built the respect and inclusiveness side of things and Trigg was mighty in getting the AFLW off the ground for us and turning around our old school boy's club mentality. He was a good operator in trying times.

Yes

I have no doubt that we didn't overlook GCS, or any other possible avenue, in order to move up the draft order.

The pick isn’t tied to Geelong it’s tied to Melbourne.

So last year the Suns traded:

Pick 17 & 22 > Pick 11
Pick 11 (Future) > Pick 27

Now Pick 27 > Future 3rd Round pick

So they’ve traded the equivalent of Picks 17 & 22 for a 3rd Round Pick.

Joke of an organisation. Take handouts and then give gifts to the rest of the league. Can’t wait to take Rowell off them in a few years.
I think it really goes to show just how pointless the draft pick numbers worth is until you can put a name to it

Do ya reckon SPS goes to bed at night and says “ they didn’t really want me, they wanted setterfield”. ???

No, he says they wanted him but wanted Setterfield more.

Does the #1 pick still get a $10k portfolio of sorts? That might make a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back