Strategy Annual club focus group no.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a fan of us leaving the SANFL, but appreciate I'm in the minority.

A proper analysis of the pro's and con's of SANFL vs AFL reserves should be discussed including reconsideration of zones, finals limitations, Victorian influence on all decisions, even a reintroduction of an underage side in the SANFL and SANFL broadcast rights.

We aren't getting things back from the sanfl.

Honestly, the anti Port stuff is comical these days. It really doesn't bother me. Ch 7, the Advertiser and 5AA, cater to their dying off boomer audience. We continue to make gains on and off the field whilst they burn to the ground.

Right on.

Look where "fair and balanced" media has got the crows.

Let them do what they do and seek your info elsewhere. Plenty of alternatives these days.

Kudos for getting this up again, Rick. I have noticed a renewed focus on members' wishes this year which must have been bloody hard given the conditions everyone associated with the Club was working under. Things like the Bars are staying top of mind which is a great sign. I imagine Richo will be keen to keep this going as one thing we can't afford is a drop off in memberships, regardless of whatever rules re crowds are in place next year.

I for one have been thrilled with what the Club has delivered this year (onfield and off, despite the obvious disappointment of not bringing home the bacon) and it's been a very welcome distraction from the reality of life these days.

Like others I reckon it's time to smack the SMA about a bit and get a better deal. I'm loving that we're trash talking the SANFL (finally!) and it'd be great if we could find a way to play in the psuedo-AFL-reserves comp that everyone except SA and WA was invited to.

Hats off too to those (individually and collectively) responsible for creating such a strong bond within the playing group - that's a noticeable (and valuable) difference between us and lesser clubs, like the rabble down the road. The fact that no-one put their hand up for a transfer, and no-one was moved against their wishes, speaks volumes. The Ollie 110 year extension was the ultimate trade period troll :D.

I'm glad we went back to the #1, that we had a win in the Bars, that we scored a significant JMS and IMHO we have appointed the right CEO. I'm less glad we haven't got a flag to show for it, so I'd like that fixed next year please. Thank you :).

Given the year we have had this should be an interesting exercise. Obviously many members have been hard hit but so has the Club.

One thing we do need is a push for a National Reserves competition. The AFL appears to be going in the opposite direction while the SANFL is making success in the SANFL impossible. Not sure the Club can do a lot about the situation but it would be good to know what the state of play re an AFL Reserves competition is.

I wont reiterate what's already said but I'll add that another belief set that must go is this eagerness to spew the myth "we love being underdogs". We even call ourselves underdogs even when no outsider has made it a point! I always knew Port to believe internally it was the benchmark. Underdogs is what the outsiders labelled us. You cannot be the best if you love being the underdog.

Like others I reckon it's time to smack the SMA about a bit and get a better deal. I'm loving that we're trash talking the SANFL (finally!) and it'd be great if we could find a way to play in the psuedo-AFL-reserves comp that everyone except SA and WA was invited to.

Can someone expand on this, I've seen it mentioned twice on this forum with no further context?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Will be half way to to Sydney then, to see the kids. Bad timing. Will possibly be a bit of a group-hug time.

1. Ken extension. 2 years ok, but proviso his assistant help is maintained, especially Shoey and Monty.

2. Pauly is going. Will changeover and/lesser funds cause downgrading of our Aboriginal efforts. And other community programs. Inevitable I suppose but hoping not too much lean and mean. It isn't just Ken keeping the players together.

3. Get Ken at the meeting. Mansplain we expect him to remain brave.

4. Attack the SMA and SANFOOL. Make it obvious to the community that they are holding both AFL teams back.

5. Don't get complacent re sponsorships.

6. Continue keeping David quiet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my bigger concerns surrounding the proposed move to an AFL reserves comp, is what happens in terms of which guernsey we wear? I fear that going to the AFL reserves would result in the eradication of not only wearing the bars on a regular basis with our 2nds team, but the eradication of the Magpies brand in near totality. If we are able to keep the Maggies brand in the AFL reserves, along with being able to wear our traditional prison bar strip on the regular in that comp (with the exemption being against Collingwood's 2nds), then I think the move has a lot of merit.

I'm not one usually to value history and tradition over keeping the club competitive with the other teams in the AFL. At the same time, the Maggies brand and the prison bar strip are the very fabric of our club, & is something that shouldn't just be thrown away on a whim. It would be as disastrous as going with co-captains in the AFL, except that this would be a move that the execs wouldn't suddenly be able to pause and press control+z to undo it.

In terms of on-field performance I wonder how the coaching staff wants to build off last year particularly with the forward entries along with having elements of a gameplan that doesn't make us so reliant on winning the midfield battle. It is no secret that every time we got smashed in the midfield that we lost, and this was in large part because we had no idea how to get the ball into our front half from the back half when the opposition had the necessary time to set up their defensive zones. I also would like to know how the team plans on moving on some of the older wood on our list. This process started this year with the retirements of Westhoff and Ebert. Robbie Gray, Boak & Rockliff will be slowing down sooner rather than later (though I reckon Boak will last the longest of this trio). Rozee, Butters, Duursma & SPP all will likely lay claims to more time in the middle soon enough, and we have some impressive young players like Bergman who the club have high grades on. Would love to hear the club's rationale in terms of how they see the list balance - particularly the midfield in the medium to long term given we seem to be well placed in that space.

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of stuff would be in confidence but anyone got a brief overview of what was discussed, the tone of the discussion, etc?

My takeaway is that the Richo/Davies combo is going to be a great one for the club.

Cant say much more until I digest it a bit, but it was very informative. I kept thinking how lucky we are to have a club that engages with supporters like that.

Did anyone find out what Davies' top score on bejewelled is?

There was a moment tonight when I started laughing and had to disguise it with a cough because I remembered the Summer of George thread, right when he was talking about something serious.

Thanks for organising FishingRick04 . And great work with the whiteboard.

Seconded. Was a very good night, really informative and well run.

CD and Richo were very generous with their time and thoughts. They genuinely listened, took on board what we said and responded openly and honestly.

We were so engrossed in CD's comments we let the pizza get cold! :eek: ;)

Yep a great evening. Thanks to Rick for organising it. Disappointingly waited too long and the pizza was cold but was totally immersed in the discussion with CD. Super impressed with Richo as well and feel much more comfortable with his appointment after tonight. He gets us. My favourite part of the night was REH and his "kick it to the shithouse" lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back