Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

are we a football club or do we just sell ourselves to who ever throws money at us, to do deals with China in the first place is immoral and to continue it after this year is just plain prostitution, maybe we just dont care
Understand your sentiment but we can't judge the club too harshly. At the end of the day the club has to meet commercial imperatives.

What an absolute wast of time, money and energy this whole china thingy has been, time to announce that we have put this mistake to bed but sadly I think that koch would be too pigheaded to admit that the china move is nothing but a big turd.

?

we have MG on our jumper

What an absolute wast of time, money and energy this whole china thingy has been, time to announce that we have put this mistake to bed but sadly I think that koch would be too pigheaded to admit that the china move is nothing but a big turd.

An expensive turd nonetheless.

Worth over $10mill per year in sponsorships and partnerships, if I recall KT saying a few months ago.

Without this, the PAFC does not exist anymore.

?

we have MG on our jumper
So we had to undertake this whole China experiment for four years to get, by AFL standards, what is a low-mid tier level major sponsor.

Australia needs China whether people like it or not. They are our biggest export partner by an outer rim parsec, we send 10 times more s**t there than we do to our good old boys in the US of A.

I’m not sure what Port will do re: Shanghai but I imagine it’s now in the long term bucket at best. As far as Australia is concerned, we need to work towards mending this relationship because it has gone to s**t big time and that’s not good for us or them. Probably a post-Scomo job at this point.

Answer the question dude. Stop deflecting.
Don't get so angry DUDE.
I simply see it a bit embarrassing in our current world climate being sponsored by a company which is chinese owned yet the chinese have pretty much fked the world up this year and are also entered a cold war with us.
When do you next see us playing in china?

Don't get so angry DUDE.
I simply see it a bit embarrassing in our current world climate being sponsored by a company which is chinese owned yet the chinese have pretty much fked the world up this year and are also entered a cold war with us.
When do you next see us playing in china?
Maybe never. But no big deal. The China play was never about a game. It was about commercial opportunities. Like MG 5 years @ $1.5m a year sponsorship deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have looked and can't find, were there any requirements in the sponsorship for us to play games in china?
Because there is none. But they wouldn't have signed up if we didn't have a China strategy.

Australia needs China whether people like it or not. They are our biggest export partner by an outer rim parsec, we send 10 times more sh*t there than we do to our good old boys in the US of A.

I’m not sure what Port will do re: Shanghai but I imagine it’s now in the long term bucket at best. As far as Australia is concerned, we need to work towards mending this relationship because it has gone to sh*t big time and that’s not good for us or them. Probably a post-Scomo job at this point.

True, but Australian industry also needs to look at developing alternate markets for our products. Putting too many trade eggs in one basket is dangerous as the current situation shows.

There is a theory that Australia could fight back and reduce it's iron ore exports to China by around 10%. That would have a major effect on Chinese industry and would send the price of iron ore up just as oil prices rise when OPEC cuts production. It would not win us many friends in China and might provoke more reaction from the Chinese but as it is we are probably going to cop more sanctions away.

Mending relationships with China is fine and I support it but if the Chinese see themselves as the only winner in the China/ Australia trade deal they will pull the same stunt every time things do not go their way.

I'm off China. Previously I didn't care where the goods I buy are manufactured, but they've proven untrustworthy. They keep forcing legitimate businesses out via corporate espionage and replication and then making themselves the only option. It's really quite ****ed just how much they are killing local businesses.

Turned a blind eye to sending money their way in the past out of convenience and cheapness, but if they want to act like campaigners I'll respond in kind, regardless of how insignificant to them my personal change may be. If we ever disagree with something they just strongarm you. They're all the worst elements of the US on steroids. Their conduct in the China Sea, Taiwan, Human Rights or even on environmental concerns etc. is ******* abominable.

Then there is COVID...

Last edited:
I'm off China. Previously I didn't care where the goods I buy are manufactured, but they've proven untrustworthy. They keep forcing legitimate businesses out via corporate espionage and replication and then making themselves the only option. It's really quite f’ed just how much they are killing local businesses.

Turned a blind eye to sending money their way in the past out of convenience and cheapness, but if they want to act like campaigners I'll respond in kind, regardless of how insignificant to them my personal change may be. If we ever disagree with something they just strongarm you. They're all the worst elements of the US on steroids. Their conduct in the China Sea, Taiwan, Human Rights or even on environmental concerns etc. is ******* abominable.

Then there is COVID...

Trump is a massive dick but I did like the way he stood up to China. Their Belt and Road plan is about world domination and for too long many in the West have Aided and Abetted China's expansionary and illegal business dealings in the name of short term economic gain. They are a huge World power these days, but their rise for too long was left uncontrolled to the point now they have become bully boys. The Yanks, for all their faults have interests much more aligned to ours, something that many seem to forget.

I'm off China. Previously I didn't care where the goods I buy are manufactured, but they've proven untrustworthy. They keep forcing legitimate businesses out via corporate espionage and replication and then making themselves the only option. It's really quite f’ed just how much they are killing local businesses.

Then there is COVID...

and this...

I have looked and can't find, were there any requirements in the sponsorship for us to play games in china?

Koch and KT said that there wasn't an initial intention to play a game in China and that the strategy was not dependent on playing a game in China. It was Guo that was keen on it and suggested it. That's what I heard.

LR could shed further light on this.

Koch and KT said that there wasn't an initial intention to play a game in China and that the strategy was not dependent on playing a game in China. It was Guo that was keen on it and suggested it. That's what I heard.

LR could shed further light on this.
Correct.
In 2015 Loretta Lai of ANZ Bank introduced Mr. Gui (her Kidman-focussed client in WA) to PAFC and thus AFL at Adelaide Oval, and Gui instantly saw the image, marketing and personal-face value in going down in history as the man who brought Australian Football to China. Make that Shanghai, not China.
It was never our intention in the early stage, which includes Gui, to play a premiership round match in China. We did have longer-term vision to play an exhibition match in Shanghai but not until circa 2018-2020.
The Club’s basic aim was to secure by 2017 a $1,000,000 per annum China-based sponsor cum partner cum benefactor. That turned out to be Mr. Gui who not only showed up two or three years early but also brought with him his knee-jerk ambition for the Club to play in Shanghai.
KT was in a quandary as to what to do at first. Gui wanted to move at breakneck speed. At our lunch in the Foreign Correspondents’ Club in HK in Feb. 2016 KT quizzed me on how to go about things. Should he deal direct with Gui or go through us in HK? I told him he must deal direct with Shanghai, keep tight with Gui, keep a close personal eye on him, and play whatever pitches come back from Gui each on its merits.
We know now that it all went exhaustingly well for the Club ... until covid.
NB: Gui Guojie is still there, still keen on resuming the project asap. Hopefully in 2022.

Last edited:
Correct.
In 2015 Loretta Lai of ANZ Bank introduced Mr. Guo (her Kidman-focussed client in WA) to PAFC and thus AFL at Adelaide Oval, and Guo instantly saw the image, marketing and personal-face value in going down in history as the man who brought Australian Football to China. Make that Shanghai, not China.
It was never our intention in the early stage, which includes Guo, to play a premiership round match in China. We did have longer-term vision to play an exhibition match in Shanghai but not until circa 2018-2020.
The Club’s basic aim was to secure by 2017 a $1,000,000 per annum China-based sponsor cum partner cum benefactor. That turned out to be Mr. Gui who not only showed up two or three years early but also brought with him his knee-jerk ambition for the Club to play in Shanghai.
KT was in a quandary as to what to do at first. Gui wanted to move at breakneck speed. At our lunch in the Foreign Correspondents’ Club in HK in Feb. 2016 KT quizzed me on how to go about things. Should he deal direct with Gui or go through us in HK? I told him he must deal direct with Shanghai, keep tight with Gui, keep a close personal eye on him, and play whatever pitches come back from Gui each on its merits.
We know now that it all went exhaustingly well for the Club ... until covid.
NB: Gui Guojie is still there, still keen on resuming the project asap. Hopefully in 2022.
Cheers, my initial question was moreso based around our MG sponsorship and if there was a 'China game' as part of the deal we have with them.

Cheers, my initial question was moreso based around our MG sponsorship and if there was a 'China game' as part of the deal we have with them.
The deal with MG is ‘clean’ so far as China game is concerned; no such snag in the fine print.

The intro to SAIC and thus to MG in Sydney was a result of connection via the annual match in Shanghai.

So we got our cake in the form of Gui, and with car sales going well thus far in Oz, which is MG’s focus, we get to eat it, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back