Friends with the Ex

Remove this Banner Ad

i am currently separated from my wife and trying to be friends with her because the things i miss most are just basic things like watching footy together etc.

I am still good friends with my high school sweetheart, she has actually been very helpful talking to about my separation as she has been through something similar. Ironically she is now married (third husband) to another guy from my little childhood home town in country NSW. Another ex works for the local radio station and I am her one-stop-shop for all her sports gossip when she needs a story. Bizarrely, another ex that I went out with at uni went to primary and high school in Sydney with the girl who I had an affair with which led to my current circumstance. I still talk to most of them. I am not a bitter person outside of meaningless things like footy or cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh some of the relationships I've had with people post break up some might find weird

Dated someone for a bit over 12 months and broke up about 15 months ago - covid stuffed both our living arrangements and so 3 months ago we moved on together - no funny business and it's working really well so there you go

Another ex of mine we dated for 6 years and after we broke up we spent about two years in a band together that didn't exist while we were together - that's all going back a fair way now - we are still friends in the sense of running into each other and things, especially at gigs, but we dont hang out anymore

The last weirdo I was in a relationship with was on good terms with her exes. She didn't think it was strange to meet one (with his family) for brunch at a Seddon cafe with me. Big sloppy kiss, animated chat throughout, ok ummm yeah ok I'll just sit here and pretend I don't exist. Nice meal though.

She hasn't contacted me once in the three and a half years since I moved out.

Still not sure what that says about me.

Missus's ex sent her a text the other day of an onlyfans account with the same name, followed with the comment 'Ive seen a better looking *missus's name*'.

Whilst ultimately harmless I think, it's a bit weird and also not something I think he would share with his wife.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I split from my wife of 34 years just over 3 years ago, we still associate but only through our kids and grandchildren, it's ok but you can feel a little tension in the air.

I split from my wife of 34 years just over 3 years ago, we still associate but only through our kids and grandchildren, it's ok but you can feel a little tension in the air.

Wow. How hard was that to go thru- 34 years, thats sort of almost my whole life. Thats huge.

Or you can say "mind you own business"...

Wow. How hard was that to go thru- 34 years, thats sort of almost my whole life. Thats huge.

Or you can say "mind you own business"...
Extremely hard, very emotional and draining, a lot of tears shed, I actually found it more difficult to go through than the death of my father a few years before the split.

It was on the rocks for a few years before the official split, no infidelity involved on either side though, we just slowly drifted apart and it was like we were sleep walking through each others lives, a deep deep rut and a dark place. It took me a while to work up the gumption to say I didn't want to live like this any longer and while she was shocked she eventually agreed, there has actually been very few harsh words and little overt bitterness, we were able to amicably liquidate and share our assets without the need for solicitors/mediation.

Extremely hard, very emotional and draining, a lot of tears shed, I actually found it more difficult to go through than the death of my father a few years before the split.

I can totally understand that. Death is natural- especially if they have lived a good, long life. I never got that sad when my grandparents died (they all lived to 85+). Unlike my uncles + aunty who got 48, 60 and 70. Altho 70s pretty good too i suppose.

A marriage breakdown... yeah i cant even begin to relate.

Reading the thread on the Lifestyle forum 'long term relationships that go sour' made me realise that one of the biggest nightmares a person can live through is being with someone for such a huge chunk of time like 10+ years, and then having that relationship end. Terrifying actually.

Reading the thread on the Lifestyle forum 'long term relationships that go sour' made me realise that one of the biggest nightmares a person can live through is being with someone for such a huge chunk of time like 10+ years, and then having that relationship end. Terrifying actually.
Mine was 5 years, but it took me probably 18 months to get over it fully. Not a bad breakup by any means, just were going different paths in life. And that's with no kids, no marriage and no important shared assets. Can't imagine how hard it would it be for people who have been married 10+ years. I feel for anyone going through it. It rocks you to the core.

The last weirdo I was in a relationship with was on good terms with her exes. She didn't think it was strange to meet one (with his family) for brunch at a Seddon cafe with me. Big sloppy kiss, animated chat throughout, ok ummm yeah ok I'll just sit here and pretend I don't exist. Nice meal though.

She hasn't contacted me once in the three and a half years since I moved out.

Still not sure what that says about me.
she sucked tongue of the ex in front of you!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back