Rumour Patrick Cripps will go home to WA if Carlton miss the finals in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Has nothing to do with how Carlton go next year, his girlfriend has a fairly severe mental issue that requires her to be back with family in WA. I believe the situation will be he would like to play in WA for her sake, but if a deal cant be made he'll stay. Freo are likely the only club that can accommodate a realistic trade and have the cap space available (dont be surprised if this was the real reason Hogan was pushed out of the club).

I've heard rumours that Patrick Cripps is getting pretty tired of missing out on competing in the finals every year and will go back home to WA should the Blues miss the 8 in 2021. We know Cripps will become a free agent next year so that obviously intensifies this rumour.
As if it will be determined by the result of one season.

And frankly, is Cripps worth the 5 million over 6 years that it will take to move him?

He's a great player, no doubt, but I'd have mixed feelings if WC put that kind of offer on the table to get him.

Has nothing to do with how Carlton go next year, his girlfriend has a fairly severe mental issue that requires her to be back with family in WA. I believe the situation will be he would like to play in WA for her sake, but if a deal cant be made he'll stay. Freo are likely the only club that can accommodate a realistic trade and have the cap space available (dont be surprised if this was the real reason Hogan was pushed out of the club).
WC could get it done. But should they?

Would anyone blame him?

I think we're in a good position to make the finals next year, but things can fall apart and no one would begrudge Crippa chasing some success after playing in a cellar dweller team his entire career to date.

Think we'd probably match any FA contract offer however.
I felt the same about Lids, though that would be at the end of another long contract for Cripps to be comparable, and Cripps has carried Carlton in a way Lids never did at Richmond. If you guys rack up a few heartbreaking elimination final losses, it's on for sure!

WC could get it done. But should they?
Freo would have more cap space imo and should have the better picks presuming they finish below us next year. Plus I think we're required to use our first rounder next draft period which would prevent us from using it in a trade, unless we trade in another first rounder. This is assuming of course that Carlton match any offer presented to him, which I believe they will now that GWS has opened the floodgates matching Geelong's Cameron bid.

IMO the cons in getting him would outweigh the pros in regards to him coming to the eagles. Cripps is not the mid we need right now.

Freo would have more cap space imo and should have the better picks presuming they finish below us next year.
Sure, but how much cap space would WC need to get Cripps? How many picks would they need if he's a FA?

Ultimately, it's not a bidding war. If he moves, Cripps would nominate a club and then it proceeds from there. If he were to leave and nominate WC, whether Fremantle have more cap space and more picks becomes immaterial. It's simply a matter of whether the nominated club has the space to pay him and then, potentially, the ability to engineer a trade if the offer gets matched.

Plus I think we're required to use our first rounder next draft period which would prevent us from using it in a trade, unless we trade in another first rounder.
Well, then it's up to Carlton to consider whether they match the offer, which would likely be determined by where they finish. If they have a bad year and the FA compo is a pick in the top 5, matching makes less sense.

If they improve massively and play finals, then I agree, a compensation pick in the teens wouldn't satisfy them.

This is assuming of course that Carlton match any offer presented to him, which I believe they will now that GWS has opened the floodgates matching Geelong's Cameron bid.
Relevance?

I'd say he probably is. Probably more.

Gaff, McGovern and Fyfe are all on over 1m p.a. and I'd have him in the same class.
How much would you want to be paying Cripps at 30, 31 and 32?

Pay him 1 million at 27, 28, and 29. But not for the back three years.

You reckon Gaff is on 1 million per year? Not sure about that.

I'd hazard a guess 5 mill over 6 wouldn't get it done.
Wouldn't get him to move? That depends on whether he has other reasons for wanting to go/stay.

If he wants to live in WA and play in a side that can contend, a slight haircut may be required, particularly when the deal will see him through to age 32.

Call it 5 million plus change over 6 years but I think much more than that would be irresponsible.

You reckon Gaff is on 1 million per year? Not sure about that.
Not sure what he was on in 2020, it was a strange year. I think any year where Jack Martin is on 1.1m is a little odd, but this article from Feb has Gaff in that category.

Not sure what he was on in 2020, it was a strange year. I think any year where Jack Martin is on 1.1m is a little odd, but this article from Feb has Gaff in that category.

Yeah not sure that means 1 million per year over the whole deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo positioned their cap to be able to afford a Cripps who has been rumoured to be wanting to come back to WA if Carlton were uncompetitive

Yeah repositioning cap is a code name for being shite and not having any good players to pay money to.

Plus sounds like cripps wants finals. I’d say he would stay at Carlton rather than go to freo.

Of all the Free agents to target next year for Freo I rather Zach Merrett than Cripps.

Zach’s brother lives in WA plays for Peel Thunder, Freo’s alignment club in the WAFL.

Merrett is more of a Mundy replacement because of his elite ball use than Cripps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the situation he does actually decide he wants to go, you'd hope that after being pretty well looked after by the club and supporters, he'd do a Danger and say to be fair on Carlton that he wants to be traded and not taken as a free agent.

Eagles & Blues have history with Juddy & Kennedy, a win/win deal IF he wants to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back