Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 42 - Essendon - Jackson Callow

Another player that I think should’ve gone a bit earlier but I’m glad he’s available here as I’ve already picked two medium sized players and a tall defender so with KPF’s also a need for the bombers he balances out my draft haul nicely. Living in the same city as me I’ve watched him play for years and I think there hasn’t been enough focus on what he does do well this year. Very strong player who can stand his ground against anyone in the contest but also very good on the lead, extremely strong hands and good skills and has been playing against men for years. The best comparison as a playing style that I can think of is Jake Riccardi.

Pick 43 - Hawthorn - Corey Durdin

I was eying off a number of players here, but they were all snatched away from me in recent picks. But I am ok with Durdin as my booby prize, as I think he has just as much chance of making at AFL level as any other player selected around this range.

Durdin is a very small midfeilder, who will be played as a small forward at AFL level. While I would normally be wary of playing a player 'out of position', Durdin has been playing small forward at SANFL level (seniors) for 1.5 years. So it's not like a club would need to reprogram him. For the record, he's scored 12 goals from 12 senior SANFL matches, which is not too shabby for a small 17-18yo.

I like is that he is tough and more aggressive than his size suggests. I think he becomes more of a tough, pressure fwd (think Puopolo) than a pure goalsneak (Betts).

Also, while he won't be played out of the middle at AFL level, he has real midfield chops (size aside). In 2018 he won the U16 champs MVP playing as a midget midfielder. I think he's clean and smart enough to offer plenty of half-forward/midfield support, similar to say like Fisher or Gibbons.

I'm not sure he will ever challenge for the Coleman, but he should offer a solid goal return, strong pressure in the fwd line and some midfield support. Which is what clubs want in a small forward these days. It wasn't my intention to replace Puopolo, but I think that's exactly what this pick does.

Paging Arr0w. I think.....

Last edited:
Pick 42 - Essendon - Jackson Callow

Another player that I think should’ve gone a bit earlier but I’m glad he’s available here as I’ve already picked two medium sized players and a tall defender so with KPF’s also a need for the bombers he balances out my draft haul nicely. Living in the same city as me I’ve watched him play for years and I think there hasn’t been enough focus on what he does do well this year. Very strong player who can stand his ground against anyone in the contest but also very good on the lead, extremely strong hands and good skills and has been playing against men for years. The best comparison as a playing style that I can think of is Jake Riccardi.

Hey Sin City this is the bloke I was going to take if you matched the Brand bid.

A question for you having seen him so much, do you think he’d make a good CHB in the McGovern/Lake mould, that really strong mark/reader of the play/a touch slower etc or purely as a fwd?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Sin City this is the bloke I was going to take if you matched the Brand bid.

A question for you having seen him so much, do you think he’d make a good CHB in the McGovern/Lake mould, that really strong mark/reader of the play/a touch slower etc or purely as a fwd?
Yeah Callow, Durdin and Downie still being available was why I was happy for you to have Brand.

He has played as a defender a bit, especially this year and performed well but has nowhere near the exposed form that he does as a forward so I can’t say it with as much confidence but personally I think he’d be a pretty tough matchup as a defender. He’s such a good contested player that he’d always be competitive.

Pick 44 - Swans Henry Smith

Write up later

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 12.49.19 pm.png

Sounds great. Just one stop off being all red liners. Beast :)

Then again if Cameron Wood hung around so long....anyone can.

View attachment 1022548

Sounds great. Just one stop off being all red liners. Beast :)

Then again if Cameron Wood hung around so long....anyone can.

Was still growing, has put on close to 15KG this year

I expect him to still be there as a rookie, but I rate his upside

Pick 45 - Hawthorn - Bid on Brandon Walker

I almost bid on Walker in the 20s. If he was at all a need for the Hawks, I would have done so happily.

While I still think the Hawks don't need him, he's too good a talent to pass up at this point.

TENACIOUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back