Competitions 2020 Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, I hate to labour a point but you sacrificed your academy kid for a rookie?!!

Arr0w walks to his own beat and I love that. He has his players he likes and the ones he doesn't. He's not one to pick kids just coz that's where they're rated.

IMO a true recruiter is backing his/her judgements and not just picking kids because they are rated by everyone else.

While it on the surface it seems nuts to pass on Gulden only to pick up Smith (who might have been available much later), Arr0w clearly wasn't willing to risk missing out on Smith. Going off TENACIOUS's reply (also subtle mention coz it's his turn), Smith would have been gobbled up before Arr0w's next pick. And it sounds like Arr0w would have been more bummed out missing Smith than Gulden. So he did things his own way and got the player he wanted. Job done.

Arguably we picked TDK waaaay before we needed to. But we wanted him and we got him. And now we couldn't be happier (although Arr0w would probably still rather have Constable :p )

Pick 46 - Hawthorn - Zac Dumesny

What the hell am thinking? I made my case that Hawks don't need any more HBFers, then I went and bid on Brandon Walker (HBF), then I am now selecting Dumesny - who has played a bunch of.......you guessed it.....HBF!

So, what am I thinking? I am taking what I see as best available. Dumesny is a mid-sized utility that has played at HF, wing and HBF.

I think he could become a decent wing for Hawks in time, despite him not being a the archetypal modern wing. He's not quick, so he's not an Isaac Smith replacement. He does have a decent 2km time though (so good endurance) and is a smart footballer who can find space and use the ball really well. He's is also good overhead and could provide HFF and HBF cover.

He's not a highlights footballer (kicking skills aside), but should be able to grind out solid games on a regular basis. I know everyone likes to say 'this guy is the next Dangerfield or Judd'. I see Dumesny as the next Jack Newnes. OK, now that you have cleaned up the coffee that just exploded out of your nose....I know. I know. You're supposed to draft on elite attributes and upside.... but I still like decent footballers who can do a solid job, week-in-week-out. He won't be the best player on the field, but he won't be the worst. And if he can do that on a consistent basis, then that's not a bad outcome at this stage of the draft.

Next up: gandaal. It's good that you have two lists spots left, because YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!

1607057229976.png

Last edited:
Time for the Giants' third pick and I'll take a player who I feel is a pretty safe selection here.

Whilst he is not the highest ranked player left on my board, this is definitely his range (I have him ranked 10-20) and I feel he's clearly the least likely of the players I'm looking at to last to my next selection.

He may not be the most skilled player in this draft class but he's a bloody hard worker who is also pretty decent athletically and I feel as though through sheer will alone he'll be able to make a decent career for himself.

With pick 18 GWS selects Nathan O'Driscoll.

Back to RoyalParade for Collingwood's second selection.

I am completely biased, but if he gets out this far, Carlton should trade up to select him. He is a gun inside player with solid speed and if he slightly improves his kicking skills, he will be great. Still solid for an inside midfielder.

Arr0w walks to his own beat and I love that. He has his players he likes and the ones he doesn't. He's not one to pick kids just coz that's where they're rated.

IMO a true recruiter is backing his/her judgements and not just picking kids because they are rated by everyone else.

While it on the surface it seems nuts to pass on Gulden only to pick up Smith (who might have been available much later), Arr0w clearly wasn't willing to risk missing out on Smith. Going off TENACIOUS's reply (also subtle mention coz it's his turn), Smith would have been gobbled up before Arr0w's next pick. And it sounds like Arr0w would have been more bummed out missing Smith than Gulden. So he did things his own way and got the player he wanted. Job done.

Arguably we picked TDK waaaay before we needed to. But we wanted him and we got him. And now we couldn't be happier (although Arr0w would probably still rather have Constable :p )
With all due respect cos I love you...what rubbish... Arrow didn't even know who was on the board still !

I am completely biased, but if he gets out this far, Carlton should trade up to select him. He is a gun inside player with solid speed and if he slightly improves his kicking skills, he will be great. Still solid for an inside midfielder.
His draft prospects shaping as eerily similar to Dev Robertson 12 months ago.

I was praying O'Driscoll would last to Hawk's pick in the 20s. Now I think he is MUCH better than that, and knew it was a very long shot, but players that are not 'sexy' can often slide.

Everyone goes gaga for the KPPs, the sexy midfielders, kids with huge upside, explosive speed, leap, agility, endurance and fun highlight reels. Meanwhile I think guys like O'Driscoll will end up outperforming the majority of them.

I made an error matching for Coleman, because....brothers.
Would much sooner have Ginnivan when he was still there. Never mind.

We'll have years for things to play but wouldn't surprise me that the strike rate is almost as high in the 30-50 range as it will be for the 10-30 range.
From not really looking forward to the draft, I'm suddenly really looking forward to it.

I made an error matching for Coleman, because....brothers.
Would much sooner have Ginnivan when he was still there. Never mind.

We'll have years for things to play but wouldn't surprise me that the strike rate is almost as high in the 30-50 range as it will be for the 10-30 range.
From not really looking forward to the draft, I'm suddenly really looking forward to it.

I'm a sucker now for the whole AFL Calender:

From Pre-season training
to The mostly silly practice matches
to The Season
to The Finals
to Trade Period
to The Draft
to Pre-christamas running lol

With sports like cricket(anymore) and tennis and soccer zero interest to me, it is all AFL. Gil pads out the year well the greedy hound. 11.5 month AFL entertainment season these days lol.

The Draft is great. The buildup is interesting and on the actual night, well, who could ask for more than the excitement and thrill of the walking corpse Gil reading out 60 names or so.

Pick 45 - Hawthorn - Bid on Brandon Walker

I almost bid on Walker in the 20s. If he was at all a need for the Hawks, I would have done so happily.

While I still think the Hawks don't need him, he's too good a talent to pass up at this point.

TENACIOUS
Thanks ferrisb had you bid in the 20’s you would have had yourself a shinny new Walker

View attachment 1022603

But at this stage Fremantle match bid.

Brisbane getting off lightly

Back to you ferrisb
Given Fremantle's list situation, this has only turned 51 into 45, because the remaining points would provide pick 64, and Fremantle already holds picks 62 and 63 as their last picks.

If live trading were active, Fremantle would get the pick, but then likely be looking to on-trade some combination of picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a sucker now for the whole AFL Calender: From Pre-season training
to The Season
to The Finals
to Trade Period
to The Draft

6 out of 7 ain't bad......:)

I'm down to one sport have ditched F1 and MotoGP. It's AFL or nothing for now.
The AFL have structured things well even though the 'fanfare' hasn't been on an American level.
They seem to understand the pulse of the masses and for now at least....pleasing the most.

The one/two things you've missed there is the U18 Champs an the VFL
That became my highlight of the year for a few years and I really missed it this year......as much as missing the VFL.

Anyway...back to the Phantom.

I'm a sucker now for the whole AFL Calender:

From Pre-season training
to The Season
to The Finals
to Trade Period
to The Draft

And through each of those phases, BF is there for us to waffle on about footy.

From the lead-up to each of those events, while the events are happening and all the wash-up post event....

It's like a full time job.

Scratch that, I don't think my full-time job pays me for as many hours as I spend on here....

And through each of those phases, BF is there for us to waffle on about footy.
From the lead-up to each of those events, while the events are happening and all the wash-up post event....
It's like a full time job.
Scratch that, I don't think my full-time job pays me for as many hours as I spend on here....

:) I keep telling myself I'm out........and then I find myself back in. I wonder why?

We have a good board with many spirited and mostly well-meaning posters, even when guns are drawn. It's a good thing

With pick 48, the Western Bulldogs select Matt Allison.

The Dogs lack quality depth in key position players with both Bruce and Schache being underwhelming to date. For this reason, the Dogs are looking to strengthen their spine.

Allison has the speed, endurance and athleticism to compliment JUH and Naughton in a forward line comprising three KPF's. This was demonstrated with a strong combine performance, recording a 2.97 second 20m sprint and a 2km time trial of 6 minutes and 17 seconds.

On the other hand, should Allison realise his potential and the Dogs opt for two KPF's in their forward line, this would give the Dogs the flexibility to send Naughton down back. With Easton Wood turning 32 next season, the move would fill the void for a long term replacement at CHB.

Next pick: JB12

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back