Scandal Elijah Taylor charged with assault of girlfriend.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If the roles were reversed and he found a msg on her Snapchat and started being aggressive, only for her to smack him with a belt and punch, would anything have come of it from her end?

The guy is clearly a piece of work but she doesn’t sound much better. The fact she attacked him first is probably the reason he has avoided jail time and got himself a spent conviction, but how does she get off without any heat on her? Domestic violence both ways is appalling.

Can't help wondering about the ethics if he's jockey-sized and she's a 6ft 7 Hungarian weightlifter.

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
If the roles were reversed and he found a msg on her Snapchat and started being aggressive, only for her to smack him with a belt and punch, would anything have come of it from her end?

The guy is clearly a piece of work but she doesn’t sound much better. The fact she attacked him first is probably the reason he has avoided jail time and got himself a spent conviction, but how does she get off without any heat on her? Domestic violence both ways is appalling.
He's twice her size, he punched her in the jaw, hit her with a belt and then punched her face repeatedly. But yeah let's call it even.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He's twice her size, he punched her in the jaw, hit her with a belt and then punched her face repeatedly. But yeah let's call it even.
I
I didn’t call it even, I said she shouldn’t be escaping heat either. She hit him whilst he was sleeping and started the confrontation.

Im not going to speculate on how big people are, I don’t think it should matter, if a small and short guy beats up a bigger and taller girl do we let that slide? Appearance is irrelevant, these 2 individuals engaged in violent behaviour And both sound like pretty awful people.

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
He screwed up by retaliating and going way too far with his abuse.

The rest of the story is pretty sad, what support did the Swans provide considering the couple had suffered a miscarriage, both are extremely young and were on opposite sides of the country? They had no problem throwing him under the bus after the hub breach (which our knobhead premier also joined in on).

Last edited:

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Swans handled this professionally and with diplomatic tact. Good on them.

A big middle finger though to Taylor and all his defender's early on in this thread, who were victim blaming ad nauseum. Women rarely make this s**t up. It's a myth perpetrated by a system that turns a blind eye to it. Pissed he avoided jail, but glad to see him shamed and that he'll never play AFL again.

Also, don't compare a woman cracking the shits and hitting him a few times, to him pulling his belt off and whipping her. One is an emotional response, the other is just unhinged brutality.

The discussion surrounding AFL support, government support and programs for Indigenous communities, or lack thereof, and its impact on situations such as these - is something best left for another time.

In summation: Kudos Swans, f*ck Elijah Taylor.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Any man who hits a women is low life scum and there is no defense for it.
EVERY SPORT has it's grubs and for those who don't think there sport doesn't have low life scum you are totally deluded
Any sportsman who hits a women should in my opinion be banned from ALL SPORTS for life at all levels

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Plenty of players have had some pretty significant missteps and survived, so I’m guessing there have been other issues and this is the final nail.

Completely unacceptable but I’ve always believed you should offer a way back when these issues first emerge. Could achieve more keeping him in the fold.

Still, given the hub incident and this one he looks like a guy who has no self control. At the rate he was going was probably only a matter of time till he did something worse. Hope he gets it together.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any man who hits a women is low life scum and there is no defense for it.
EVERY SPORT has it's grubs and for those who don't think there sport doesn't have low life scum you are totally deluded
Any sportsman who hits a women should in my opinion be banned from ALL SPORTS for life at all levels

What are your thoughts on women who hit men as the aggressive instigator ?

What if she comes at him with a knife? Stay there and cop the stabbing? Or maybe its sometimes okay to defend yourself ?

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What if she comes at him with a knife? Stay there and cop the stabbing? Or maybe its sometimes okay to defend yourself ?

Lets not get carried away here, his conduct was disgusting. It’s one thing to stand up for yourself and it’s another to do what he did, he wasn’t defending himself.

As for the women in question she’s not much to write home about instigating an attack on someone that’s sleeping, she shouldn’t be getting away with that either, but this guy is a joke, if he had just pushed her away or tried to get her to stop within reason it would be a different story, but even then a woman shouldn’t get a free hit just because she’s a woman.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lets not get carried away here, his conduct was disgusting. It’s one thing to stand up for yourself and it’s another to do what he did, he wasn’t defending himself.

As for the women in question she’s not much to write home about instigating an attack on someone that’s sleeping, she shouldn’t be getting away with that either, but this guy is a joke, if he had just pushed her away or tried to get her to stop within reason it would be a different story, but even then a woman shouldn’t get a free hit just because she’s a woman.

I agree he went too far and rightly got punished.

My post was in response to "there is never a reason for a man to hit a woman" which is plainly simple and wrong.

In the same way that "there is never a reason for a woman to hit a man" is simple and wrong.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
tenor.gif

StuieG

Debutant
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Films and T.V has a bit to answer for in terms of it being OK for women to hit men. I was watching Friends the other day when Ross and Rachel were on a break and Ross hooks up with the other chick. Rachel starts whacking him when she's particularly pissed off about something, Chandler makes a joke and everyone has a chuckle. Flip who's hitting who and it's so far from "OK" it's not funny.

Jan 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Films and T.V has a bit to answer for in terms of it being OK for women to hit men. I was watching Friends the other day when Ross and Rachel were on a break and Ross hooks up with the other chick. Rachel starts whacking him when she's particularly pissed off about something, Chandler makes a joke and everyone has a chuckle. Flip who's hitting who and it's so far from "OK" it's not funny.
They were on a break!!

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Defending yourself goes out the window when you get a belt and beat the fu** out of someone, cant believe there's people defending him here, very lucky to escape conviction.

Don't know if anyone's defending Taylor as such. It just...wasn't quite what it seemed.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

You can defend yourself against a women without hitting her
Don't try and justify these low life scums who hit women

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
You can defend yourself against a women without hitting her
Don't try and justify these low life scums who hit women

Is anyone really doing that? I don't think so.

the kid is a P.O.S., he's also very young and dumb, so hopefully he can grow, learn and change.

consequently, if he is low life scum for hitting his partner, does that also make her low life scum?

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't know if anyone's defending Taylor as such. It just...wasn't quite what it seemed.

The kid is an idiot, however we shouldn’t be glossing over the fact that the woman attacked him first in his sleep. More concerning is that this behaviour is seen as fine because she’s a woman and couldn’t possibly do any harm. I mean if he just took it and didn’t proceed to beat her up would she have ended up in court? No chance. A man should be allowed to stop an attack on himself within reason, repeatedly beating her with a belt is not within reason so he deserves his whack...just don’t like how she instigated this with a physical assault is completely ignored, what if she came at him with a knife in his sleep? It’s really sad because you have 2 people whose first instincts are to be violent with eachother.

hopefully this kid sorts himself out and this serves as a wake up call, at the same time hopefully she realises that attacking a man isn’t exactly the smartest move either.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The kid is an idiot, however we shouldn’t be glossing over the fact that the woman attacked him first in his sleep. More concerning is that this behaviour is seen as fine because she’s a woman and couldn’t possibly do any harm. I mean if he just took it and didn’t proceed to beat her up would she have ended up in court? No chance. A man should be allowed to stop an attack on himself within reason, repeatedly beating her with a belt is not within reason so he deserves his whack...just don’t like how she instigated this with a physical assault is completely ignored, what if she came at him with a knife in his sleep? It’s really sad because you have 2 people whose first instincts are to be violent with eachother.

hopefully this kid sorts himself out and this serves as a wake up call, at the same time hopefully she realises that attacking a man isn’t exactly the smartest move either.

Like most blokes I was brought up to believe that you don't hit women so no sympathy on that count, but it's interesting that the rigid new gender equality which insists that women are equivalent to men in every way has tacitly condoned her emotional outburst - something traditionally and stereotypically regarded as a negative female trait ("Hell hath no fury", naming of cyclones etc).

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
There is evidently an amount of violence to bring to another human being that is acceptable and somewhere along the line Taylor crossed it, she smartly stayed on the other side of the line, or he moved the acceptable line for her when he responded in an excessive manner.

If they were both fellas, people would be cheering Taylor on for besting the fella who sucker-punched him.

Taylor doing worse does not diminish the level of s**t-ness that she committed.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This does not exist in any real way.

Obviously not. If you're female you're entitled to get emotional and hit sleeping people. Men are obligated to have superior command of their emotions.

Not complaining, that's just the nature of gender roles since the year dot. But it's a step backwards for women aspiring to true equality.

Back