Traded EGM, Football Josh Mahoney - Footy Operations boss at the AFL - 28/8

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
And just like that, Brisbane have already appointed someone.

Not sure if thorough process.. 🤔

LOL I thought exactly the same thing. Most (probably all) clubs aren't run with a consistently thorough and repeatable process in all areas. If they get lucky and get a few things right for awhile then everyone assumes they are. Reality is when it comes to recruitment, it's not always bad to head hunt but if you do so and fail it's more likely to put your head on the chopping block.

When he was appointed to AFL Tasmania CEO:

Mr Lethlean said while Mr Auld, 46, had not previously worked in the football industry, he had been involved in the grassroots level of the game for most of his life.

“Robert played with Tatura and Nagambie in country Victoria and he has also performed a variety of off-field roles, including senior and junior coach, club president and NAB Auskick Coordinator.

Inspiring..

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
When he was appointed to AFL Tasmania CEO:

Inspiring..
auskick co-ordinator

remember that time we took an under 9's coach and put him in the senior role.
glorious.

FMD

Young coach
Young CEO
i can see why they're looking for new (read modern) blood.
Brasher/Sheeds/Dodoro/Harvey/Wellman would be the balance in terms of generational culture/experience, but i wonder if it all gels.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Im pretty naive about the process to appoint a general manger of football but who is hiring this person? Is it Brasher from the top? is it Xavier Campbell? is it Rutten and Dodoro in the football department?
can't imagine the latter two have anything to do with it

Would be Campbell, though i imagine Brasher is stamping any approval on anything he does at the moment (barring friday night emails it would seem)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
can't imagine the latter two have anything to do with it

Would be Campbell, though i imagine Brasher is stamping any approval on anything he does at the moment (barring friday night emails it would seem)
Essendon being Essendon and giving jobs for the boys then?

Yay!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
auskick co-ordinator

remember that time we took an under 9's coach and put him in the senior role.
glorious.

FMD

Young coach
Young CEO
i can see why they're looking for new (read modern) blood.
Brasher/Sheeds/Dodoro/Harvey/Wellman would be the balance in terms of generational culture/experience, but i wonder if it all gels.
An under 9s coach? Who was that?

Sort of sounds like "can we have Brad Scott " ? AFL says no but you can have Rob Auld.
I really know nothing about him but it does not seem like an inspiring choice.
Obviously he has had the role with AFL Tasmania. Since then he has also been head of game development at the AFL which was a promotion from his CEO role with AFL Tas.
Has also been head of competition management with he AFL.

Sort of sounds like "can we have Brad Scott " ? AFL says no but you can have Rob Auld.
I really know nothing about him but it does not seem like an inspiring choice.
Obviously he has had the role with AFL Tasmania. Since then he has also been head of game development at the AFL which was a promotion from his CEO role with AFL Tas.
Has also been head of competition management with he AFL.
He sounds like a premier paper pusher. Not sure how it correlates to someone who is experienced running a football department, can guide it to its next phase and support and advise a brand new coach though. How would he know what the inside of a well-run [AFL] football department should look like?

James Hird and Bomber Thompson had at least been inside a premiership-winning football department before, and they apparently didn't know. Richardson and Worsfold were similarly experienced and we got rid of them.

Now we're gonna put in the brother of Travis Auld, who seems to fail upwards for some immeasurable reason?

Has the job been offered publicly or is it 'friends Y relos' only with a fee payable to your favoured HR firm.
It’s not rumoured to have been offered at all.

If you scroll up the report is that he’s the “unbackable favourite”.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
I cant be bothered to go back & look but wasn't there a statement from the club declaring a wide net would be cast (words to that effect) looking for the best candidate? What did they use, a hair net?...

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Has the job been offered publicly or is it 'friends Y relos' only with a fee payable to your favoured HR firm.
At around $50k it would be a great gig for a firm. I'd even throw in a suitable Essendon interview question to add some value - "so have you like ever worked before?"

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If we’re employing someone’s brother for the GM role - can I suggest we take a look at Kyle Dunkley? Seems roughly as qualified and can be guaranteed to deliver one blockbuster trade

Back