Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at a sportsman’s lunch with guest speakers Mick Martyn, Glenn Archer and Anthony Stevens.

Mick Martyn was a surprisingly poor public speaker. Glenn Archer is an absolute legend.

Very early in the day I was in the almost empty beer garden enjoying a pre-lunch durrie. Anthony Stevens, completely unprovoked, farted on my head.
Crop dusted!

Saw Jesse Hogan playing golf 2 weeks ago. No fan fare or people asking for a photo/autograph. Was pretty casually dressed but it was just a pitch and putt course.

Saw Jesse Hogan playing golf 2 weeks ago. No fan fare or people asking for a photo/autograph. Was pretty casually dressed but it was just a pitch and putt course.
Not surprised,he's no good on the long game.

So Spider is a Sunnyboys fan? I know Dermott Brereton is a fan having spruiked them on the radio. I also saw Dermie at a Radio Birdman gig. One of those my worlds colliding moments.
I saw Dermie up the front at The Prodigy at a festival a while back.

drop kick Dermott B.... I was walking to my usual party in the eastern suburbs and I told myself not to approach...

he didn't respond to my 'hallo'... and he told me to * off and get a life..

Is this true? Is this what he does to his friends.... ?

just cheating the system.. and being on the cusp of a good story... heyheh... Derm you are a drop kick...

Other players I've seen at gigs are Richo at a Beasts of Bourbon show at The Corner and Bob Murphy seeing Justin Townes Earle somewhere in Thornbury.

Saw Jamie Cripps recently shopping at Best & Less... covid wage cuts obviously hitting hard...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Jamie Cripps recently shopping at Best & Less... covid wage cuts obviously hitting hard...
At least he wasn't working there.

You got to be thrifty when you buy your denim by the double.

Other players I've seen at gigs are Richo at a Beasts of Bourbon show at The Corner and Bob Murphy seeing Justin Townes Earle somewhere in Thornbury.

Couple of years ago I went to a MMW gig with The Peep Tempel and Cash Savage & The Last Drinks. Walked past Richo wearing a Peep Tempel t shirt while they were playing. Ran into him an hour later after Cash had played, this time he was donning a Cash Savage t shirt.

Saw Toby Nankervis at the new Woolies on Mt Alexander Rd. Pretty big bloke, was using self serve and wearing Birkenstocks. Quite tanned. I bought food at the same time and then we both left.

Have the best and most affordable baby clothes. Does he have a newborn by any chance?

I saw Jasper Pittard sitting on the Grange line train in 2018. It was the week he was delisted from Port and he was wearing a beanie.

Years ago, I was at a physio in Keilor Road, Essendon, sitting next to an older lady. We got talking, and the subject of footy came up. She gathered I was a Dogs supporter, but also a keen student of general footy history. She said "my brother played for Essendon, but it was a long time ago," I said "oh yes, what was his name". She said "Dick Reynolds". I nearly fell off my chair! Then we both got called into our appointments and I never saw her again. But I've always wondered how her physio treatment turned out.

Decades ago, I went to a game at Western Oval alone, which was unusual in itself, but weather was a bit ordinary, so sister and mates opted out. Footscray v St Kilda. Sat on the terrace seating in front of the Gent Stand. Plenty of empty seats between patrons, but 2 rows in front of me was Ron Clarke, wearing a Saints scarf. Seemed unusual, as his brother Jack had captained Essendon, and father Tom played there as well, and I believe Ron played U19s at Windy Hill. Made me wonder who Herb Elliott and John Landy barracked for, but I never bothered to find out.

In the late 80s, a mate lived in North Fitzroy. Residents in adjoining streets included Ken Hunter (Carlton), Tony McGuinness (Bulldogs), Red Symons (un-affiliated), Tony Campbell (Demons version) and Brian Mannix (on-baller with the Uncanny X-men). Saw all of them out and about at various times in those days. The last time I was in the North Fitzroy precinct, last year, I saw no-one I could connect to any official capacity at an AFL club, or member of any former Melbourne bands. I miss the 80s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back