Strategy Annual club focus group no.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmm interesting take on that. Perhaps if it had been explained that way there might not have been so much angst. Wording could have been different perhaps. Something like ... ‘ and say no to PEDS’ 😂
Black ops exercise to get the 2007 GF removed from the history books.

The issue is not the why, it's the how. How did they decide that was a good idea? To you know, change a motto we've had since the dawn of time without any consultation.

It would be like Collingwood changing from "side by side" to "side by side and making the community proud"

It's dumb.

Mmm interesting take on that. Perhaps if it had been explained that way there might not have been so much angst. Wording could have been different perhaps. Something like ... ‘ and say no to PEDS’ 😂

By adding in the community fudge they are effectively saying no to Premierships Every Damn Season 😎

The problem with Richo’s assertion that it was about the Essendon doping saga, is that it was being talked about by board members from as early as 2009 when we started to implement the Creed marketing campaign.

It was something they clearly spoke about before anyone had any idea that Bombers were doping.
The Essendon drug saga could have been the clincher to the timing of the change, after 4 years tossing it around.

By adding in the community fudge they are effectively saying no to Premierships Every Damn Season 😎

But they are saying in the latest slogan "and make our community proud" not "or make our community proud", hence there is no real out for them, if you get my drift. It's not a flag otherwise the pride thing, it's a flag and pride ie. the pride follows on naturally from the flag.

But they are saying in the latest slogan "and make our community proud" not "or make our community proud", hence there is no real out for them, if you get my drift. It's not a flag otherwise the pride thing, it's a flag and pride ie. the pride follows on naturally from the flag.

Yes I hear what you are saying, and I agree. My post relates to OGC’s post about saying no to PEDS (Premierships Every Damn Season), should’ve just left out the preamble.

we should've made it clear in this focus group that richo should remove that last bit that was tacked on, what a way to kick his tenure off that would be

We Exist to win Premierships for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Who Wanna Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Altering our Creed is up there as a major discussion point for the club and it’s supporters. It’s the vision statement of our club and should be part of our 10 year plan.

Is it a game breaker being added in? No but it can change our clubs ethos if not implemented right.

Good guys finish last

Altering our Creed is up there as a major discussion point for the club and it’s supporters. It’s the vision statement of our club and should be part of our 10 year plan.

Is it a game breaker being added in? No but it can change our clubs ethos if not implemented right.

Good guys finish last
The Creed and the Motto are two separate documents of our constitution (in the broader sense of the term).
The way I understand this, Port has a Gospel with four parts:
(a) "Creed" ["We, the Players and Management of the Port Adelaide Football Club..."];​
(b) "Statement" ["Any club worth its salt..."];​
(c) "Motto" ["We exist to win premierships and make our community proud"]; and​
(d) "Slogan" ["We are Port Adelaide"].​

The Gospel provides the grounds for our identity as a football community and serves as guideline for everybody who belongs to it: directors; staff; coaches; players; members; and supporters.

The Motto was changed. Still, even with the change, it must be read in accordance with the rest of the Gospel. Otherwise, it is senseless.

Last edited:

Good guys finish last
What is our vision statement? What do we want to achieve, what do we want to become in the future?

A mission statement is about the now and what we do to achieve it.

In the Power Community Ltd 2019 prospectus Koch started off with - At the Port Adelaide Football Club, our mission statement proudly declares, “We exist to win Premierships and make our community proud.”

Might have mixed up the two.

Just on the concern with playing the long game regarding the Prison Bars as they resonate more with an older audience - from a personal perspective I'm only 21 and I've wholeheartedly bought into the campaign for bringing them back and continue to parade that to as many Port supporting mates as I can. Convinced a friend who just got into footy (and thankfully Port) this year to get a PB guernsey instead of a BiB if she could find one. Educating younger and newer supporters on the PB's can open up a larger population for the campaign.

The story and legacy of the Prison Bars is the story and legacy of the club itself, and I actually think the fued with Eddie and Collingwood helps sell the "us against the rest" narrative at the core of our club in a modern environment. I believe you can absolutely sell the Prison Bars narrative and campaign to a younger audience in a way that benefits them by connecting with the club on a deeper level and driving the recognition of our heritage and identity. It's a righteous cause and one people will get behind if the club promotes it definitively.

Educating the youth on the club's history and heritage also helps reinstate the mindset and expectations of success on a club level that we have lacked since the beginning of the AFL era really - it's crucial to establishing culture in the long-term.

Mission and Vision statements are generally pretty poorly worded corporate blurbs that mean nothing.

“We exist to win Premierships and make our community proud.” is a statement of purpose.

Everything sits underneath it.

Mission and Vision statements are generally pretty poorly worded corporate blurbs that mean nothing.

“We exist to win Premierships and make our community proud.” is a statement of purpose.

You could say winning premierships makes the Port community proud?

Majority of cases I agree, but you always find some good examples where they have both.

Intel
Mission: Utilize the power of Moore’s Law to bring smart, connected devices to every person on earth.
Vision: If it is smart and connected, it is best with Intel.

Ebay
Mission: To be the world’s favorite destination for discovering great value and unique selection.
Vision: Our vision for commerce is one that is enabled by people, powered by technology, and open to everyone.

But many companies have a straight forward mission statement and leave it at that.

Adidas - To be the best sports company in the world.

Microsoft - Our mission is to empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.

Shopify - Making commerce better for everyone.

Others a bit more of a mouthful but you know what they are getting at.

NASA - It is NASA’s mission to: explore, use, and enable the development of space for human enterprise; advance scientific knowledge and understanding of the Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe and use the environment of space for research; and research, develop, verify, and transfer advanced aeronautics, space, and related technologies.

NASA - It is NASA’s mission to: explore, use, and enable the development of space for human enterprise; advance scientific knowledge and understanding of the Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe and use the environment of space for research; and research, develop, verify, and transfer advanced aeronautics, space, and related technologies.
F*cking hell. What happened to the simplicity of "put a man on the moon before the end of the decade"?

I know that was JFK and not NASA, but Jesus.

F*cking hell. What happened to the simplicity of "put a man on the moon before the end of the decade"?

I know that was JFK and not NASA, but Jesus.

They should have stuck with "To boldly go where no man has gone before".

They should have stuck with "To boldly go where no man has gone before".
Haha I was about to type, they can't pinch from Captain Kirk and Star Trek, when you posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back