Why we should base a game plan around attacking medium forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically cos we have heaps of them and they are talented, creative and usually quite good.

Last year (2019 after we said BYe to Brad) at some point (before the Port game) I was thinking about using Brown and Larkey as decoys for each other but then took it a few steps further. Jack, Garner, Wood, Tarryn (in his first season), Zurhaar, Higgo were all capable of playing as agile targets. Even LDU was leaping over packs like a marking forward. Cunners is a strong mark as well, tho an unusual choice as a forward. (Hi St Kilda.) Till he isn't. After round one I thought we were actually going with that strategy.

It gives us the option to rotate players thru the forward line as well. We have a good mix of talented mid forwards.

You'd probably mix Zurhaar and Ziebell with Larks which leaves room for two more medium forwards and a small. TT and Taylor are both good overhead and at ground level, Taylor from a very small sample tho. Then its a matter of drilling the midfield at kicking and the structures which need good awareness.

Say you go in with Larkey and a heavy/tall backline. Larkey becomes a decoy. Most teams will structure their defence around him. First two 50 entries of the game should go to him too, but we set up to defend that rebound. We allow them to push us into the pocket. Then we target marking leading med.

forwards in space on the fat side of the ground. It needs skill, vision and footy IQ to make it work but that seems to be what we are targeting in our players at the moment. WE have enough marking options among those medium forwards that the area about 40 m out, 25 - 45 deg angle on the fat side should be our go to zone and that at least one of them should get a clear run at the ball or enough space. We need good kicking tho. Elite level. Players like LDU, TT, Perez and Bonar have all shown great accurate, long penetrating kicks that open up space on the forward line. Zurhaar too thinking about it. Players like Jy have shown the ability to stop assess and hit open targets in a way that moves outside the expected flow of the game.

We are also making noises about a faster midfield. We need quick transition out of defence. That stops the handball sideways problem cold because there is pace and movement ... and movement can generate movement. This makes it easier for KPFs obviously but also for a fleet of good marking medium forwards.

Basically cos we have heaps of them and they are talented, creative and usually quite good.

Last year (2019 after we said BYe to Brad) at some point (before the Port game) I was thinking about using Brown and Larkey as decoys for each other but then took it a few steps further. Jack, Garner, Wood, Tarryn (in his first season), Zurhaar, Higgo were all capable of playing as agile targets. Even LDU was leaping over packs like a marking forward. Cunners is a strong mark as well, tho an unusual choice as a forward. (Hi St Kilda.) Till he isn't. After round one I thought we were actually going with that strategy.

It gives us the option to rotate players thru the forward line as well. We have a good mix of talented mid forwards.

You'd probably mix Zurhaar and Ziebell with Larks which leaves room for two more medium forwards and a small. TT and Taylor are both good overhead and at ground level, Taylor from a very small sample tho. Then its a matter of drilling the midfield at kicking and the structures which need good awareness.

Say you go in with Larkey and a heavy/tall backline. Larkey becomes a decoy. Most teams will structure their defence around him. First two 50 entries of the game should go to him too, but we set up to defend that rebound. We allow them to push us into the pocket. Then we target marking leading med.

forwards in space on the fat side of the ground. It needs skill, vision and footy IQ to make it work but that seems to be what we are targeting in our players at the moment. WE have enough marking options among those medium forwards that the area about 40 m out, 25 - 45 deg angle on the fat side should be our go to zone and that at least one of them should get a clear run at the ball or enough space. We need good kicking tho. Elite level. Players like LDU, TT, Perez and Bonar have all shown great accurate, long penetrating kicks that open up space on the forward line. Zurhaar too thinking about it. Players like Jy have shown the ability to stop assess and hit open targets in a way that moves outside the expected flow of the game.

We are also making noises about a faster midfield. We need quick transition out of defence. That stops the handball sideways problem cold because there is pace and movement ... and movement can generate movement. This makes it easier for KPFs obviously but also for a fleet of good marking medium forwards.
Rad Roo alt account

I like it.

Which is why I've decided I don't what talls in the draft but more mids.

It makes us less predictable, and having half the team as attacking options that can run between mid and forward is the modern game imo.

Rad Roo alt account
I think the warble farble of modern football is best suited to a side that splits its games between Ulan Battor and Lagos. You cant grow in Melbourne any more. Its too crowded and there isnt enough ruthlessness. If Sio Bibble has taught us anything its that you must be bold and aggressive not soft and placating.

PS Trade Cibbingtan. He is to old and slow.

I think the warble farble of modern football is best suited to a side that splits its games between Ulan Battor and Lagos. You cant grow in Melbourne any more. Its too crowded and there isnt enough ruthlessness. If Sio Bibble has taught us anything its that you must be bold and aggressive not soft and placating.

See I had doubts it was an Alt Rad Roo account until I read that...
Now... 🤔
5B8B7D77-C3C3-488F-9046-E97EB109E981.gif

I like it.

I just want to see a successor to Boomer running from the wing and slotting it from 40 out.

Ferbs channelling his inner Rinus Michels - Total Football North Melbourne style. I like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ferbs channelling his inner Rinus Michels - Total Football North Melbourne style. I like it.
There is definitely a place for it I reckon.

Thomas, Taylor, Zurhaaar, Scott, Stephensen, Perez, Bonar, possibly Hayden. They are almost interchangable in some ways but they are also kind of unique and have unique traits that can create different match up problems. TT and Zurhaar for example are both tough but in different ways. You can chuck LDU in there.

I'd love to see us move the ball incisively thru the corridor and hit these guys up. Larkey is always going to be a good target but if we make double or triple teaming him a weakness because we have multiple free medium forwards who can kick goals we will free him up eventually and then he can kick bags quickly.

Especially if we * with their defensive set ups that will double and triple team him initially. I mentioned in the OP about letting that double or triple teaming defense work and setting up to rebound off it early in the game to minimise any oppo scoring opportunities. This is sucking the opposition into thinking their strategy works. After about 8 minutes of the first quarter, or three or four entries at most, whichever is quicker, we switch away from targeting Larkey and open up the medium forwards because there should be a few free if we play them like talls or pretend to. That might give us an extra few goals before they realise they are being conned. In some ways its just a feint, you make the middle seem vulnerable and attack with the flanks.

Then as they start reacting we can be ahead of where they plan to react. As soon as Larkey is on his own we could look for him. Get inside their OODA loop.

For this to work it has to be well drilled, with skillful use and the players have to be smart, aware and communicate.

And it might be a shambles for a year or eighteen months as players work out wtf they are doing but if that is what it takes to rebuild and create something effective and new compared to what happens now who cares. Its the sort of thing that will be hard to counter when it does click. Especially as these kids hit their physical prime. And we might add a few more good young draftees in the process.

I think the only way to break the shackles of modern defensive footy is to have fast, skillful and effective movement thru the corridor and a plethora of targets potentially available anywhere in the forward fifty. Take what the tigers or bulldogs did but make it skillful and footy orientated. It needs creative players with vision who are capable of reading the game and improvising to find the best options. Back our contested marking, especially if we land Hollands. We actually have a bunch of players with those traits I reckon. We have the cattle to do it now, even more so with Dutchy. I'd love it if we go that way. It would be like the 90s again. Spectacular attacking footy that makes people excited to watch it.

Heaps of aggressive high marking by these younger guns inside 50. People would simply come to watch us play again whether they supported us or not.

Play like that, win a flag or three and we could bring in twenty five thousand new members over the next five years. Aim high.

Needs more Star Wars similies.

I miss the days when we would just rotate Maj around to mix it up a bit and scare the opposition silly. Or Waitey just doing it all on his own, popping up in defense and owning the game with a glint in his eye. Now it has to be an entire intricate plan! But it's a good plan ferbs. I like it. :thumbsu:

W80 was great for us. Genuinely loved watching him play at his best (outside I think round 1 WC where kept missing easy shots!).

Maj too when firing, basically a road block to goal.

I think Ferbs is right on our list position though.

Mids are the key to our improvement imo, gun tall fwds a cherry on top as if the ball isn't there or delivered well it's irrelevant.

He's looking for speed.

I think you're going to get something very close to what you want. Speed in front half mentioned a couple of times by Luff. It's something we've needed for so long. Anyone who has played sport knows that when you're manning a fast threat in defence they can set the terms and you end up defending deeper, and deeper and deeper.

Im cool with this. Unless one of the talls other than Larkey demands a place, go with this. Worst case IMO is playing Xerri or Campbell types simply because they're a certain height and weight.

I'd prefer the latter not to happen to be honest.

With the right game plan and execution we don't need to carry a ruck fwd with how Goldstein plays and size we have, just a chop out for minutes here and there.

We need more run and carry, right now.

41765CD7-8C5E-4B06-B7DC-946E376C5AA3.jpeg

There is definitely a place for it I reckon.

Thomas, Taylor, Zurhaaar, Scott, Stephensen, Perez, Bonar, possibly Hayden. They are almost interchangable in some ways but they are also kind of unique and have unique traits that can create different match up problems. TT and Zurhaar for example are both tough but in different ways. You can chuck LDU in there.

I'd love to see us move the ball incisively thru the corridor and hit these guys up. Larkey is always going to be a good target but if we make double or triple teaming him a weakness because we have multiple free medium forwards who can kick goals we will free him up eventually and then he can kick bags quickly.

Especially if we fu** with their defensive set ups that will double and triple team him initially. I mentioned in the OP about letting that double or triple teaming defense work and setting up to rebound off it early in the game to minimise any oppo scoring opportunities. This is sucking the opposition into thinking their strategy works. After about 8 minutes of the first quarter, or three or four entries at most, whichever is quicker, we switch away from targeting Larkey and open up the medium forwards because there should be a few free if we play them like talls or pretend to. That might give us an extra few goals before they realise they are being conned. In some ways its just a feint, you make the middle seem vulnerable and attack with the flanks.

Then as they start reacting we can be ahead of where they plan to react. As soon as Larkey is on his own we could look for him. Get inside their OODA loop.

For this to work it has to be well drilled, with skillful use and the players have to be smart, aware and communicate.

And it might be a shambles for a year or eighteen months as players work out wtf they are doing but if that is what it takes to rebuild and create something effective and new compared to what happens now who cares. Its the sort of thing that will be hard to counter when it does click. Especially as these kids hit their physical prime. And we might add a few more good young draftees in the process.

I think the only way to break the shackles of modern defensive footy is to have fast, skillful and effective movement thru the corridor and a plethora of targets potentially available anywhere in the forward fifty. Take what the tigers or bulldogs did but make it skillful and footy orientated. It needs creative players with vision who are capable of reading the game and improvising to find the best options. Back our contested marking, especially if we land Hollands. We actually have a bunch of players with those traits I reckon. We have the cattle to do it now, even more so with Dutchy. I'd love it if we go that way. It would be like the 90s again. Spectacular attacking footy that makes people excited to watch it.

Heaps of aggressive high marking by these younger guns inside 50. People would simply come to watch us play again whether they supported us or not.

Play like that, win a flag or three and we could bring in twenty five thousand new members over the next five years. Aim high.
Love it. Where do I sign?

Again, we create success through circumstance. Richmond is the team they are today due to accepting, adapting and thriving according to their circumstance. Richmond's gameplan happened because they had no real key forward outside of Riewoldt hence they have to play the forward pressure gamestyle.

We are the victims of our circumstance, why not make the most of it. Why does it have to be 2 big key forward, who said we can't have 6 medium forward who are all around 190cm and can run through middle and pinch hit as key forward.

If richmond's premiership is built on whole forward pressure then ours will be built on versatility.

How do we think Larkey will cope with the absolute best defender, every week?

Strikes me as still being a bit lazy, at the moment.

6-7 disposals isn't enough. Needs to start taking 6-7 marks, per week.

Sounds a bit like Geelong.
Everyone plays mid but nobody really does.
At least when drafting midfielders they generally come with a pretty some pretty good endurance.
It'll set us up especially with the number of interchanges being reduced in the coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back