SANFL CLUB Woodville-West Torrens
LOCAL CLUB Blackwood
DATE OF BIRTH 24/9/2002
POSITION Ruck
HEIGHT 202cm
WEIGHT 82kg

POSITION:
Key Forward/Ruck

DRAFT ANALYSIS: “A key forward/ruck who clunks contested marks and follows up at ground level, Smith boasts great upside.” – Michael Alvaro
Woodville-West Torrens tall, Henry Smith is one of the many key position prospects staking his claim as an AFL Draft chance in 2020, and has returned a promising top-age season. Stationed primarily up forward, the 18-year-old also rotates through the ruck and can chime in at the forward 50 stoppages. After missing the first three SANFL Under 18s rounds, Smith entered Eagles side with aplomb and went on to string together 13 games at the level. Keen watchers may also remember his contributions in the SANFL Futures and Under-17 All-Star showcases last year, where he showed glimpses of his best form. Smith has been able to showcase exactly that more often as a top-ager, thriving on the back of a consistent run out on the park.
STRENGTHS:
  • Contested marking
  • Size
  • Upside
  • Second efforts
  • Ground level work
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Conversion
  • Raw

Smith – would not have been my choice but I understand the pick. Personally I had him ranked after Thilthorpe, Neale and Walsh but I note the first two of those had already been taken when we selected Smith. My main gripe with Smith at the moment is that I really don’t rate his ruck work that highly and personally I put a fair bit of importance on that. When he competed against the top tier rucks in his age group last year I thought he usually came off second best. I think the Lions took him believing that they could improve that area and valuing the upside he represents in other areas. Whilst he might not be as good in the ruck as Walsh is at the moment I expect they think he will offer much more around the ground and that is not an unreasonable belief. For a ruck he is a fluid mover who gets to marking contests and makes himself available in disposal chains. His disposal skills are solid and his goal kicking technique is actually very good. Combined with him being a decent mark I expect him to be a reasonable threat up when resting up forward. Make no mistake though he is going to be a ruck who rests forward and not someone who we can rely on to be a forward and kick bags of goals. He has good height and is a solidly built guy who I think will fill out into a powerful ruck presence. Coming into the AFL he reminds me of De Koning and Hayes who were recent draftees for Carlton and Port. Both are solid mobile types who have needed work on their ruck technique. Both of those guys are looking good and I think the Lions are following suit drafting Smith.

Guernsey Numbers Revealed
Henry Smith – 19

Henry Smith has become the latest Lions’ ruckman to don the number 19.

The Club’s third pick in the 2020 draft will wear the number made famous by premiership ruckman Jamie Charman in 129 games.

The number was also worn by former Club champion Michael Magic McLean.

Jacob Allison was the last Lion to wear the guernsey.

Smith – would not have been my choice but I understand the pick. Personally I had him ranked after Thilthorpe, Neale and Walsh but I note the first two of those had already been taken when we selected Smith. My main gripe with Smith at the moment is that I really don’t rate his ruck work that highly and personally I put a fair bit of importance on that. When he competed against the top tier rucks in his age group last year I thought he usually came off second best. I think the Lions took him believing that they could improve that area and valuing the upside he represents in other areas. Whilst he might not be as good in the ruck as Walsh is at the moment I expect they think he will offer much more around the ground and that is not an unreasonable belief. For a ruck he is a fluid mover who gets to marking contests and makes himself available in disposal chains. His disposal skills are solid and his goal kicking technique is actually very good. Combined with him being a decent mark I expect him to be a reasonable threat up when resting up forward. Make no mistake though he is going to be a ruck who rests forward and not someone who we can rely on to be a forward and kick bags of goals. He has good height and is a solidly built guy who I think will fill out into a powerful ruck presence. Coming into the AFL he reminds me of De Koning and Hayes who were recent draftees for Carlton and Port. Both are solid mobile types who have needed work on their ruck technique. Both of those guys are looking good and I think the Lions are following suit drafting Smith.

Did you have Ryan rated at all?

Tigers in love with Brisbane academy

Did you have Ryan rated at all?

Tigers in love with Brisbane academy

No. I had heard rumours about Ryan and so went out of my way to watch a couple of his games. He certainly has the height and bulk. He does not however use his height at all and his rucking technique is very ordinary. He moves pretty well around the ground but does not have much in the way of football IQ. Overall I would not have drafted him this year. Keep an eye on him and see if he learns to make use of his weapons but he looked a long way off to me.

Cockatoo Continuing To Build

While Brisbane now sit 13th (2 wins, 3 losses), the continued development of first-year player Henry Smith was a silver lining for Head Coach, Mitch Hahn.

“We’ve been loving the way Henry is improving. His intensity and competitiveness every week is great.

“He’s been able to hit the scoreboard which is pleasing. To finish with 12 touches, 8 score involvements and 2 goals shows he’s really growing,” Hahn said.

Four Young Guns Extend

The Brisbane Lions have gone ‘all in’ on young talent in a re-signing bonanza, with Henry Smith, Jimmy Tunstill, Darcy Wilmot and Kalin Lane all inking new deals.

Smith and Lane have both extended to remain at the Lions until the end of 2024.

South Australian product Smith has also been honing his craft in the VFL over the past two seasons. Building his game and size, the 19-year-old has been continually developing his game as a consistent contributor on field, with his hard work rewarded with a new deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions Season Ends at Hands of Casey

Friday nights medical sub, Rhys Mathieson was busy with 23 touches, five inside 50s and a classy goal while Henry Smith was impressive in his ruck performance and looms as an exciting prospect for the Lions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back