Club Focus Collingwood 2020 - Henry, Macrae, McInnes, Poulter, McMahon, McCreery

AFL Club Focus
2019 Collingwood club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
On paper I think Collingwood made out like absolute bandits. If any/all of Henry, Macrae, Poulter and McInness have an impact on their first season - or at least develop as projected - then they are laughing. Especially with Daicos coming in next season.

All those weeks of pain may have been worth it.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
On paper I think Collingwood made out like absolute bandits. If any/all of Henry, Macrae, Poulter and McInness have an impact on their first season - or at least develop as projected - then they are laughing. Especially with Daicos coming in next season.

All those weeks of pain may have been worth it.
Their midfield looks very good now especially with Daicos next year but they havent helped with their main probelms - average-good CHF (Mihochek), poor inconsistent aging FF (Cox) and are a key defender down still (assuming Moore covers one and Howe plays third tall which is his best role).

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pendles!

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Their midfield looks very good now especially with Daicos next year but they havent helped with their main probelms - average-good CHF (Mihochek), poor inconsistent aging FF (Cox) and are a key defender down still (assuming Moore covers one and Howe plays third tall which is his best role).

Hard to find a ready to go high quality forward, or even one ready within 3-4 years, with a pick outside the top 10. Better off going with a trade or FA.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood

Club still has high hopes on the Irish guy Keanne as a key position defender. Plus Will Kelly is still developing and can probably be thrown back to his more natural position as a key defender. Either are a legitimate chance to get substantial game time next year.

We did pick up Liam McMahon as a key forward prospect who has some elite attributes, particularly his speed.

Im not exactly sure how many spots we have open, but by the sounds of Hines draft recap last night I think we may be taking a couple more today in the rookie. Hopefully Callow comes into consideration there.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
Hine seemed to suggest it was more than enough in his draft recap. He addressed it specifically.

I think someone on the Pies board worked out (based on this years finish positions) that those picks (before discount) could match a bid for Daicos around 11.

Probably not quite enough based on his projection. We might just need to look to trade in another 2nd or 3rd rounder next off season to make 100% sure we have the points.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It's probably the biggest assumption of the last few years that Collingwood are going to finish above Daicos' bid position.

There's so many moving parts for this to be certain.

1. Is Daicos (who hasn't played since u/16's and only school football to boot) good enough to be in the top half a half a dozen players in the draft? He might not be this time next year.

2. Is Collingwood not going to drop off a cliff?

They only need one of these scenario's to eventuate for that trade to look pretty ordinary, if both eventuate it's a disaster trade imo. i.e Daicos ends up a second round prospect and Collingwood finish in the bottom 5.

They should have waited to see what pick they had in 2021 and where Daicos shaped before trading it. They could have always traded into R1 of 2022.

They've carried all the risk now, for some late first/second round draftee's.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's probably the biggest assumption of the last few years that Collingwood are going to finish above Daicos' bid position.

1. Is Daicos (who hasn't played since u/16's and only school football to boot) good enough to be in the top half a half a dozen players in the draft? He might not be this time next year.

They only need one of these scenario's to eventuate for that trade to look pretty ordinary, if both eventuate it's a disaster trade imo. i.e Daicos ends up a second round prospect and Collingwood finish in the bottom 5.

They should have waited to see what pick they had in 2021 and where Daicos shaped before trading it. They could have always traded into R1 of 2022.

Unless Daicos completely destroys his knee or something else between now and then pretty sure he is a lock for a least top 10. Probably more likely jostling for a spot in the top 5.

Something would have to radically change between now and then.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unless Daicos completely destroys his knee or something else between now and then pretty sure he is a lock for a least top 10. Probably more likely jostling for a spot in the top 5.

Something would have to radically change between now and then.

Mate, there's a million players who have been top 5 locks as u/16's that have barely even been drafted, let alone still go in the top 5.

With respect to Shifter, he hasn't watched him play competitive football in almost 18 months.

Collingwood should have waited, like you said, if he's still only a top 10 pick and Collingwood finish up with pick 7. that is a huge missed opportunity.

You only need to look at someone like Elijah Hollands. He was the #1 pick this time last year with a full season of underage football under his belt. I suspect if the Victorian pool had of had the full season of exposure, he may have slid even more. Plenty of s**t can happen and Collingwood carry ALL the risk now.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate, there's a million players who have been top 5 locks as u/16's that have barely even been drafted, let alone still go in the top 5.

With respect to Shifter, he hasn't watched him play competitive football in almost 18 months.

Collingwood should have waited, like you said, if he's still only a top 10 pick and Collingwood finish up with pick 7. that is a huge missed opportunity.

I disagree the best under 16’s generally become the best under 18 prospects.

Except where they are the prototypical man child, dominating by mere size differential.

Daicos had been mixing it with guys significantly older than him and still been performing. In fact he has stood out his whole junior career simply due to his talent.

I think you are just doomsdaying.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I disagree the best under 16’s generally become the best under 18 prospects.

Except where they are the prototypical man child, dominating by mere size differential.

Daicos had been mixing it with guys significantly older than him and still been performing. In fact he has stood out his whole junior career simply due to his talent.

I think you are just doomsdaying.

I'm not doomsdaying.

Where's the upside here for Collingwood?

Everything pans out and it works, Daicos is a top 5 pick and Collingwood make the finals, perfect.

But, every other scenario in play significantly reduces the value that deal.

- You could have held it for the trade period next year to see who was on offer and still recieved Daicos.
- You could have held it to see if Daicos was a legitimate top 5/10 pick, he wasn't injured etc
- You could have held it to see how high your pick actually was. i.e you aren't trading away a top 5 pick.
- You could have held it and assessed the 2021 talent pool vs 2022 and traded for an additional R1 in 2022 and still recieved 3 x R1 talents in 2 years instead of 2.

All the upside was in waiting imo.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm not doomsdaying.

Where's the upside here for Collingwood?

Everything pans out and it works, Daicos is a top 5 pick and Collingwood make the finals, perfect.

But, every other scenario in play significantly reduces the value that deal.

- You could have held it for the trade period next year to see who was on offer and still recieved Daicos.
- You could have held it to see if Daicos was a legitimate top 5/10 pick, he wasn't injured etc
- You could have held it to see how high your pick actually was. i.e you aren't trading away a top 5 pick.
- You could have held it and assessed the 2021 talent pool vs 2022 and traded for an additional R1 in 2022 and still recieved 3 x R1 talents in 2 years instead of 2.

All the upside was in waiting imo.

Ever thought we actually wanted to bring in a player (or players) who we really rated this year...

Hine said our first 4 picks were all rated in our top 20.

Aug 11, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Launceston FC
IMHO Collingwood did very well this year but sort of had to to save face for their shocking situation in the trade period.

I have hesitations about clubs going hard this year when I think there will be so many kids who went undrafted this year who would of had great 2020's and will be drafted next year.
I think 2021 will be the best draft we have seen for years and 2020 could have the most busts of any draft for years.

IMHO Collingwood did very well this year but sort of had to to save face for their shocking situation in the trade period.

I have hesitations about clubs going hard this year when I think there will be so many kids who went undrafted this year who would of had great 2020's and will be drafted next year.
I think 2021 will be the best draft we have seen for years and 2020 could have the most busts of any draft for years.
Not rapt with it myself. I agree its a worry if a club goes really hard at a draft that so many other clubs are steering clear of. We picked up too many average picks. Current list has 20 kids ( list of 42) who have a total of 44 games experience between them. No top 10 picks at the club from the last 6 drafts. Only 3 picks from the teens. We are unbalanced with much less young talent than most. Worries me.

Rusty Beam

Premiership Player
Sep 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not rapt with it myself. I agree its a worry if a club goes really hard at a draft that so many other clubs are steering clear of. We picked up too many average picks. Current list has 20 kids ( list of 42) who have a total of 44 games experience between them. No top 10 picks at the club from the last 6 drafts. Only 3 picks from the teens. We are unbalanced with much less young talent than most. Worries me.

I’m not sure how the lack of experience of non best 22 players is an issue. It would be the case with most teams. Particularly those who have been challenging.

Ultimately I think the club held off blooding players in the last couple of years (like Rantall/Bianco etc) in the hope of snagging a flag. However based on everything that’s been said I’m certain in the next year or two a lot opportunities will be afforded to young guys.

I also wouldn’t put too much stock in their actual draft position. Clubs rank players massively different. You only have to look at picks like Pedlar and Angwin etc this year.

Personally I reckon the pies have a significant cluster of talented youngsters to develop now.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think that's where free agency is their next part of the plan - plenty of $$ in the cap after next season. The disaster trade period leaves a bitter taste regardless but the main move that delivered results was entering this draft with so many spots available and then yeah...........with what we had it seems to have just played out well with 4 or 5 players that many ranked top 30 , esp with Daicos already a done deal for 2021. That is obviously relaint on Hine to have done a better job than most of using this year's picks , which I believe he has done.

It's exciting to actually have a group of young talent like this for the first time in ages.

Last edited:

TakingThePies

Club Legend
Jul 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood

You only need to look at someone like Elijah Hollands. He was the #1 pick this time last year with a full season of underage football under his belt. I suspect if the Victorian pool had of had the full season of exposure, he may have slid even more. Plenty of sh*t can happen and Collingwood carry ALL the risk now.

He's a Daicos and he's very good. Wouldn't start talking risk when your club had the chance to take the best key tall forward and chose a midfielder.. Thats a risk.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
He's a Daicos and he's very good. Wouldn't start talking risk when your club had the chance to take the best key tall forward and chose a midfielder.. Thats a risk.

The best tall forward in the draft? Despite actually being the third picked tall forward in the first 4 picks?

We took the best midfielder in the draft. We are happy.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
I would have liked another tall to partner with Liam McMahon but the best ones (Logan, DGB, Thil, Cox, Reid, Chapman etc) were off the board before our first picks. We obviously didn’t rate the others.

I like the fact we got Henry, Macrae, Poulter at 17, 19 and 30; all seem great value at those picks. Getting two picks in before matching Reef also a big win. Effectively got a first round quality prospect for 2 picks in the 40s. Loved our active work on the pick swaps to get 4 picks inside 32 and to build our Daicos points for next year that enables us to match a first round bid.

Overall really optimistic about the haul. Really needed this pick me up after the disastrous trade period.

Looking forward to seeing what the new boys can bring to the table over the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The best tall forward in the draft? Despite actually being the third picked tall forward in the first 4 picks?

We took the best midfielder in the draft. We are happy.
In the open draft, yes. Let’s not kid ourselves here, Adelaide took the safe option and reached for the local boy with nearly all their picks this year to avoid the retention issues they’ve had in recent years.

Sep 19, 2011
Zeta Reticuli
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory

Are you just a bitter opposition supporter wishing this or are you basing this on any actual evidence?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back