Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got to admit, I didn't really know much about him before we selected him.

I see most pundits didn't have him going anywhere near Pick 29.

But the club see something and I back them in.

Welcome, Seamus.

Buckenara had him going around 30. He is a seriously good judge of young talent.

4th in the 20m sprint and 3rd in the running vertical jump (right leg). From the footage like the way when he gets the ball, drops the head, turbo kicks in and he is away. Won’t get run down from behind often!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the small amounts of vision I like that he has the confidence in his ability to burn opposition players as soon as he takes position - he is not looking to dish it off but rather explode away as a small forward should. Nice
I also like it that he doesn't blazes away once he has burned off an opponent. He steadies and spots a target. If he has got or can develop a tank to play in the middle, could be a very good addition to the team.

Seems an interesting pick - we certainly have looked to add some pace (just most are pretty small).

We have a log jam of players for a few small forward spots - breust, chad, silk, Ollie, Nash, Moore, maybe CJ + now Seamus, Brock and Saunders. Seems a bit strange from a list management point of view.

That's not what posters said about Bucky after he had Phillips slide to 13
That was when we wanted Phillips. Now that he is at North, Bucky is on the money and they overpaid ;)

Seems an interesting pick - we certainly have looked to add some pace (just most are pretty small).

We have a log jam of players for a few small forward spots - breust, chad, silk, Ollie, Nash, Moore, maybe CJ + now Seamus, Brock and Saunders. Seems a bit strange from a list management point of view.

Perhaps this year there's a log jam but looking to the future the selections make sense.

Burgoyne will be done next year. Ollie & Nash will need to significantly improve to be on the list next year. CJ will likely be used at HB and Moore isn't really quick enough to be a pressure forward. Bruest is going to be 31 & Wingard 28.

There's a good chance that an ageing Bruest, Wingard & Morris will be our small forward stocks next year - and our midfield is crying out for Wingard to play there. So bringing in two very quick, high-impact small forwards + a linebreaking small midfielder who can play as a forward makes sense. Brockman averaged close to 5 tackles per game as a small forward and Saunders almost 7 as a midfielder. Seamus will need to improve his defensive side (he averaged two) but is probably the most agile of the bunch. Defensive pressure and speed in spades. It's a good group that addresses an area I was very concerned about for the future.

Perhaps this year there's a log jam but looking to the future the selections make sense.

Burgoyne will be done next year. Ollie & Nash will need to significantly improve to be on the list next year. CJ will likely be used at HB and Moore isn't really quick enough to be a pressure forward. Bruest is going to be 31 & Wingard 28.

There's a good chance that an ageing Bruest, Wingard & Morris will be our small forward stocks next year - and our midfield is crying out for Wingard to play there. So bringing in two very quick, high-impact small forwards + a linebreaking small midfielder who can play as a forward makes sense. Brockman averaged close to 5 tackles per game as a small forward and Saunders almost 7 as a midfielder. Seamus will need to improve his defensive side (he averaged two) but is probably the most agile of the bunch. Defensive pressure and speed in spades. It's a good group that addresses an area I was very concerned about for the future.
Hanrahan should be getting very nervous

Agreed. Our backline is taking good shape and almost looks set and forget (fingers crossed no more injuries).

I reckon the club might be trying to make inroads to fixing the issues with small forwards in this draft which is clever. If we get it right we can have a real crack at mids next year who have some real exposed form.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back