List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Delistings

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We really went for needs. Given none of these guys played much footy this season it’s a bit of projecting from Taylor. Laurie and Bowey will really add some speed skill. Rosman seems a freakish athlete. But he’ll probably take time to develop. Somewhat surprised we didn’t go Cook with one of the early picks. And Carroll going so late a surprise to. But heaps of clubs overlooked him.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know less than * all about any of our selections but the type of player targeted is pleasing. The more I watch footy the more convinced I am that players rarely 'learn' or improve their goal sense during the course of their AFL career. You've either got it or you don't. So it's pleasing we've deliberately targeted a couple of small forwards who reportedly do have it, whether the recruiters are right about that we'll find out in due course.

On Rosman - I'm rarely impressed by the draft highlights packages (surely it's not a highlight if you don't hit the target with your kicks) but I really liked Rosman's. Admittedly I had low expectations because Fox painted him as just a tall, elite runner and I was expecting to see someone with great athletic abilities and little footy sense. But it appears that he takes a good contested grab, has some courage in the air, can break lines and kick goals and appears to have a neat kick.

I hope one of Bowey and Laurie is Round 1 ready. Need someone in the Hannan/ANB spot and also putting pressure on Melksham.
You'd think if they are both ready, that they both play. Who are they playing ahead of? Spargo, ANB, AVB and no Hannan now. If they are ready to play, play them. Better than all our other crap.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
I know less than fu** all about any of our selections but the type of player targeted is pleasing. The more I watch footy the more convinced I am that players rarely 'learn' or improve their goal sense during the course of their AFL career. You've either got it or you don't. So it's pleasing we've deliberately targeted a couple of small forwards who reportedly do have it, whether the recruiters are right about that we'll find out in due course.

On Rosman - I'm rarely impressed by the draft highlights packages (surely it's not a highlight if you don't hit the target with your kicks) but I really liked Rosman's. Admittedly I had low expectations because Fox painted him as just a tall, elite runner and I was expecting to see someone with great athletic abilities and little footy sense. But it appears that he takes a good contested grab, has some courage in the air, can break lines and kick goals and appears to have a neat kick.

I should add that Laurie and Bowey's highlight packages are also very impressive and they certainly do have plenty of highlights of hitting targets by foot. Particularly love the way Laurie moves.

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I hope one of Bowey and Laurie is Round 1 ready. Need someone in the Hannan/ANB spot and also putting pressure on Melksham.
yeah i see our picks yesterday as replacements for the likes of ANB, Jones, Melksham and AVB. those guys have been holding us back a fair bit, playing as our outside mids/half forward types as they are either too slow, or have poor skills, or both. imo the sooner these kids can play the better.

yeah i see our picks yesterday as replacements for the likes of ANB, Jones, Melksham and AVB. those guys have been holding us back a fair bit, playing as our outside mids/half forward types as they are either too slow, or have poor skills, or both. imo the sooner these kids can play the better.
We have long had at least 10+ inside mids in a side at once, finally we are breaking the cycle of trash onballers that can't kick playing half forward. Actually so excited to have players with skill.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Does anyone know how many spots we have left open? I’m assuming we’ll keep a spot for mid season draft. Will we take any rookies today?
Don't need to leave a spot. If you put someone on the LTI list you can replace them with a mid season pick. Highly unlikely we don't get atleast one long term injury.

Also keen to see the new blokes get a run. Seem lively attacking types, Bowey and Laurie particularly showed some good agility and skills in their highlights which would be a nice change in our front half.
Rosman perhaps more speculative, but looked alright.

Don't need to leave a spot. If you put someone on the LTI list you can replace them with a mid season pick. Highly unlikely we don't get atleast one long term injury.
Yeah, or Jones/Jetta realise they are cooked and retire mid year.

Alpine Lodger

Senior List
Aug 12, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Also keen to see the new blokes get a run. Seem lively attacking types, Bowey and Laurie particularly showed some good agility and skills in their highlights which would be a nice change in our front half.
Rosman perhaps more speculative, but looked alright.

Yeah, or Jones/Jetta realise they are cooked and retire mid year.
My only concern with Rozman is in the 2 games he played with Sandringham he averaged 8.5 disposals.

The rest is based off his form for Wesley. Where he looked dominant, but its the APS not the TAC.
Seems a very speculative pick to make at 34 when Brayden Cook, Jack Carroll were still available and had much better exposed form as wingers.
He is clearly explosive though. Club is hoping he will be Isaac Smith. His ball drop already looks similar.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Those highlights vids are normally just big wanks but s**t Rosman looks good. Bit of campaigner about him, good size, raking left boot and not scared to take a mark.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Finally we have a few small forwards to develop!! Only about 5 years too late!! Handy having Williams there. I'd still take Dunkley who's a proven gun over one or two of these picks. I don't know if that's necessarily wrong, but time will tell. These two kids could be a Blease and Marric. Taylor has a good record and with Williams there now I'll back them in. Good depth and balance now in the F50. Fingers crossed.

What is with this Dunkley obsession? Dogs wouldn't trade him for 18 and 19 anyway so its a moot point (And we don't even need him).

Happy with our draft from a needs perspective. I wrote a post on here a week ago about how our forwardline depth is really bad, glad we at least drafted some guys who can play in those positions as if ANB/Hunt are getting regular games up forward in 2021 we are in strife.

My only concern with Rozman is in the 2 games he played with Sandringham he averaged 8.5 disposals.

The rest is based off his form for Wesley. Where he looked dominant, but its the APS not the TAC.
Seems a very speculative pick to make at 34 when Brayden Cook, Jack Carroll were still available and had much better exposed form as wingers.
He is clearly explosive though. Club is hoping he will be Isaac Smith. His ball drop already looks similar.
Those games were last year as an underager so mightn't have been getting the same opportunities as he might have this year. From my reading on him this morning getting more involved consistently is something to work on but seems like he makes his touches count.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Targeted players we really needed, stylistically. Sounded like they rated this draft for the types we needed, so if we got "our guys" we probably didn't necessarily reach for them. Would be interested to see if we wanted Holmes who Geelong traded into the pick to grab before us, some mock drafts had us wanting him and he sounded a similar project player to Rosman.

Interested to see the behind the scenes footage from our draft room, although they'll likely edit out any spicy information.

Hopefully they can come in 2021 and play some good footy for us. Rosman more of a project but has some tools to succeed in modern footy.

Love that we got some SMART footballers that make good decisions and have the skills to execute. Brown, Laurie and Bowey added into out forward line is great for 2021.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I thought we'd committed to taking Nietzke (whatever his name is) as a rookie?
We’ve already taken him. They’ve changed the rules so you can make a player from your list a rookie without them needing to go to the rookie draft. So we’ve rookies him and that Jordan bloke

We played four small forwards (ANB, Spargo, Kossie, Bedford) in R1 this year. They will definitely be priming one of if not both of Bowey and Laurie to play R1, 2021. Presumably they rate Bowey more highly taking him earlier but Laurie seems the more match ready physique wise. With only three months to go I’m not sure how much preseason conditioning they’ll get.

Also this is the second year of the row Richmond have screwed us over at the draft. They live-traded pick 20 to Geelong to draft Max Holmes who we apparently wanted ahed of Laurie. Last year they refused to live-trade us their second rounder for overs so we could take Deven Robertson. Worked out because we got Rivers in the end with the pick we've have had to give them. So omens suggest Laurie will be a gun like Rivers. I won't hear any arguments.

Back