Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Essendon really had to nail these pick and they did" What garbage dribble is this?
Don’t think Gil and the boys would be too happy with Archie Perkins who Bombers picked up coming out and saying he doesn’t want to move interstate, I know the kids only being honest but it would’ve influenced interstate clubs calling his name out nothing surer and sets a huge precedent.

Jack Saunders (Norwood)
I really like Saunders game. He has a good blend of strength and class that really stands out at U18 level. He started in the midfield lining up on Poulter who I think he beat early before Poulter started to work himself into the contest. He was strong on the inside, showing an ability to win the footy himself and explode out of the stoppage but also tackle strongly when he was second to it. What I also enjoyed was his ability to go to half back and win the footy on the outside. He really took it upon himself to hit tough kicks, some of which didn't come off, but showed enough to give the impression he's capable of being one of Norwood's primary users. His versatility on the inside and outside really impressed me. He looked a capable type at reserves level and I'd like to see him get a game or two at that level before the end of the year.

Write-up from the U18s semi-finals

#21 Jack Saunders

Saunders backed up his best-on-ground performance last weekend with another standout showing in Norwood’s big semi-final victory over Sturt at Thebarton Oval. He spent some time off half-back early on, where he was able to use his speed and booming right-foot kick to turn defence into attack. However, he was most effective when moved onto the ball. Saunders provided an instant spark and became the most damaging player on the ground. He attacked every contest at high-speed and ran hard both ways to link up the play between the arcs. He was very clean and precise by foot and backed-himself to hit a couple of difficult targets through the middle of the ground. Saunders will have accumulated an abundance of metres-gained in what was another fantastic performance from the dynamic, hard-running midfielder. He finished with 25 disposals, eight marks, three tackles, three clearances, five inside 50s and three rebound 50s.

And another U18 game

Jack Saunders
Norwood | Midfielder
11/02/2002 | 178cm | 71kg

Stats:
29 disposals (20 kicks), 8 marks, 7 tackles, 4 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 5 goals, 2 behinds

Our scouts said: “Saunders was the clear best-on-ground in Norwood’s comprehensive triumph. He started in the middle and impressed with his breakaway pace. Although his foot skills have been questioned by some throughout the course of the season, his kicking was precise for much of the contest against West Adelaide. His tackling pressure remained high for the entirety of the contest and Saunders was able to break the game open with his burst running and intensity around the ball. He used his strength well one-on-one while up forward and harassed the ball carrier relentlessly, but his impact on the scoreboard was what separated his game from the rest.” – Tom Wyman

Verdict: Saunders’ senior experience has clearly done his confidence and form a world of good, taking his game to another level as he dropped back down into the Under 18s setup. The hard-running midfielder put on a show for Norwood and will likely make them a finals force in the coming weeks, with some terrific class on the inside allowing him to run the show on the outer. As are scouts suggested, Saunders did it all, but it was his five goals which truly set his game apart. He would have been a smoky for South Australia’s state squad, and is a reliable player with good qualities at SANFL level.

Looks like he had some decent games at SANFL level before dropping down to U18s level, too.

Quick, small endurance on-baller that has been played off half back and can kick a goal up forward.

Last edited:

Jack Saunders (Norwood)
I really like Saunders game. He has a good blend of strength and class that really stands out at U18 level. He started in the midfield lining up on Poulter who I think he beat early before Poulter started to work himself into the contest. He was strong on the inside, showing an ability to win the footy himself and explode out of the stoppage but also tackle strongly when he was second to it. What I also enjoyed was his ability to go to half back and win the footy on the outside. He really took it upon himself to hit tough kicks, some of which didn't come off, but showed enough to give the impression he's capable of being one of Norwood's primary users. His versatility on the inside and outside really impressed me. He looked a capable type at reserves level and I'd like to see him get a game or two at that level before the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like he has a bit of Dylan Moore about him

In 2020 played 10 x U18 games for Norwood (4 'times in bests') and 6 x Reserves games (also 4 'times in bests'). Kicked a 5-goal haul in one of his U18 games.

Unfortunately we didn't capture stats for Reserves (and U16) games this year in the SANFL comps because of budget cuts.

I noticed we didn't take a second pick so does that mean Moore goes automatically onto the Rookie list? If so, why did other clubs pick their previously senior listed players in the rookie draft?

You could only automatically move up to 2 players from the senior to rookie list (which we did for Moore). Clubs moving more than 2 players had to delist the extras, then take them with rookie picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back