Delisted #29 Cameron Fleeton (Pick 58, 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Capture - Cam.PNG

The details:

Name: Cameron Fleeton
Position: Defender
Drafted from: Geelong Falcons, NAB League /Geelong West GIANTS
Height: 192cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 17/06/02

Medium/tall defender who reads the play exceptionally well and uses his intercept marking and precise left foot kicking to set up play from the back half. From St Joseph's College, he competes well, is extremely agile and had a very promising 2019 playing nine matches for the Geelong Falcons in the NAB League averaging 15.8 disposals and 3.4 marks. Has grown a further 3cm this year which increases his potential to match up on taller forwards.

Cameron had some really encouraging bottom-age games as a medium defender with an ability to limit some of the better forwards in the NAB League. He defends with desperation, able to get a fist in when out of position. He cuts angles really well and is a real competitor. - National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso

No offence to Cam, but missing out on top-ranked forwards in Cox, Reid & Chapman makes it a little hard to be overly enthusiastic about getting Cam with the penultimate pick of the draft. But obviously I hope he becomes an outstanding defender. Hopefully he has a chance to compete for the third tall role in the backline next year, and we'll see how well he can do.

Welcome to GWS - guess you have the jersey figured out already! ;)

You'd expect he gets a chance early with Corr gone and the other options being Keeffe, Stein, Idun and Buntine ...
I think Idun will be the first cab off the rank (unless we rate Stein higher than I think), but there's definitely a spot open for Fleeton to grab if he impresses early on.

I'm bullish, i was a lot happier selecting Cam than I was when we picked up Idun fwiw, will be interesting to see how we use him at AFL level, do we try him as a shorter Corr type or a taller Shaw?
Or a Joel Patfull type?

Second-year defender Cameron Fleeton has also added a year to his contract, taking him through to the end of 2023. Yet to make his debut, Fleeton has been a consistent performer in the VFL since being selected with pick 58 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Fleeton has been delisted by GWS Giants. Thanks for your efforts on our behalf whilst at the Giants, Cam, and best of luck for your future endeavours.

Cam Fleeton.png

The GIANTS have informed young duo Cameron Fleeton and Jason Gillbee that they will not be offered contracts for 2024.

Fleeton, 21, has spent three seasons with the GIANTS, and played two AFL games after making his debut in round nine this season. A reliable defender, Fleeton was named in this year’s VFL Team of the Year.

GIANTS General Manager of Football, Jason McCartney, thanked the duo for their service to the club. “It’s always a tough time of year to let players go that have contributed to the club,” McCartney said. “Cam has spent three seasons with us and has been a steady and reliable member of our VFL side but was just unable to break into the AFL side consistently. Both Cam and Jason have been great additions off the field who have contributed to our club, and we wish them both well in their next ventures.”

Cam Fleeton - FW profile.png
Cam Fleeton - FW stats.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back