Strategy Who would you take with pick 1?

Who would you select with pick 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Most Dogs people don't actually care that much.

And why would you? You're about to get the best kid in the land for 3 picks that on average probably combine for 50 games. It's us that should be disappointed. Being denied the best talent with pick 1, but we get the second select, so hopefully the gap between 1 and 2 is minimal. From afar JUH appears the obvious number 1, I don't think it's as obvious who the next best is though. I'm risk averse, I'd try and trade down for a bit of extra sugar in 2021 and take whoever is left at 4. Something unsettling about having pick 1 and tossing the coin between numbers 2, 4 and 4 on the talent order.

And why would you? You're about to get the best kid in the land for 3 picks that on average probably combine for 50 games. It's us that should be disappointed. Being denied the best talent with pick 1, but we get the second select, so hopefully the gap between 1 and 2 is minimal. From afar JUH appears the obvious number 1, I don't think it's as obvious who the next best is though. I'm risk averse, I'd try and trade down for a bit of extra sugar in 2021 and take whoever is left at 4. Something unsettling about having pick 1 and tossing the coin between numbers 2, 4 and 4 on the talent order.
You have to get Logan I'd say, I think the local one would be good but, not as, and Hollands is simular to Fogarty,

That's part of the CBA. Pretty sure NAB has stumped up an extra $10k for this year's #1.
Yeah there was a mention of it from Riley Beverage on AFL.com that pick one gets approx an extra 30k (NAB portfolio + some AFL incentives they effectively swap for parading the #1 pick around for 8 weeks in preseason). Pick two gets 5k, so does pick 3. It’s pretty small in the scheme of things but I guess if you put that 30k in a smart investment and didn’t touch it til you finished footy you’d end up with a decent little nest egg.

Cant find the source article for the info above, may have even been a video Riley put out.

Doggies are a bunch of whiners though so fun to fire them up

Seriously though JUH is almost universally ranked at 1 so Adelaide should bid on him. No ulterior motive, not trying to make it hard for another club - just makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If it makes you feel better thinking Bulldogs people are whiners then great for you.
All ive seen is either us saying we want the Crows to bid or just give reasons why they think they won't.
It's been that way all along, apart from say one or two Dogs posters.
I think you need things outside of big footy to brighten up your life, if you get pleasure from thinking what you wrote.

Last edited:
You have to get Logan I'd say, I think the local one would be good but, not as, and Hollands is simular to Fogarty,
I thought Hollands was rumoured to slide a little due to some concerns about his overconfidence/attitude. I’m sure I’ve read a number of posts alluding to him not being very popular with teammates. Very very talented though so if that’s not an issue he’d be my number 1.

I thought Hollands was rumoured to slide a little due to some concerns about his overconfidence/attitude. I’m sure I’ve read a number of posts alluding to him not being very popular with teammates. Very very talented though so if that’s not an issue he’d be my number 1.
All the top kids are extremely confident.

For the Crows, Logan McDonald has performed at WAFL level and has a huge tank which will translate well to AFL level so that's who I'd assume the Crows take.
I expect our marketing department are hoping they bid on Marra first :cool:

All the top kids are extremely confident.

For the Crows, Logan McDonald has performed at WAFL level and has a huge tank which will translate well to AFL level so that's who I'd assume the Crows take.
I expect our marketing department are hoping they bid on Marra first :cool:
All for JUH at 1, but I still think Crows pass and he goes at 2 but I’m in the minority.

Doggies are a bunch of whiners though so fun to fire them up

Seriously though JUH is almost universally ranked at 1 so Adelaide should bid on him. No ulterior motive, not trying to make it hard for another club - just makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Might want to go back and read your own board during the Keath trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it matter if JUH is called at Pick 1 or with the Roos Pick at Pick 2?

Is it the same implications for the Dogs?
There’s a big difference in terms of marketing opportunity, impact on memberships, general good PR/vibe etc with pick 1. Any good news story around the club is a bonus. I think for us especially trying to build an indigenous presence which has been an issue for a while it presents a big opportunity.

There’s a big difference in terms of marketing opportunity, impact on memberships, general good PR/vibe etc with pick 1. Any good news story around the club is a bonus. I think for us especially trying to build an indigenous presence which has been an issue for a while it presents a big opportunity.
I was all for us taking JUH at Pick 1, but I agree with your points.

Crows would have explored all the pros and cons of bidding or not bidding, esp given the Roos will likely do.

I have taken a back step here and hoping we dont. Good luck either way. I think you win the draft, most definitely.

Getting Pick 1 and having played finals in 2020, is the big win IMO.

Yep, once you said the reason behind Dodoro giving up 7 and 8 for 1 + 56 was about revenge and getting back at Doggies, it all became crystal clear. All yours from here, carry on !
Is it that outrageous to trade 1 and 58 for 7 and 8? Essentially getting a gun and change vs 2 good players?

Is it that outrageous to trade 1 and 58 for 7 and 8? Essentially getting a gun and change vs 2 good players?

Even well established good to elite players don't go for 2 top 10 picks these days. The "gun" Pick1 you're referring to, is an all-potential 18 year old at this stage and he will be long away from being worth 2 high picks. I'll discount the pick 58 change as it's pretty much lottery at that point.

Treloar+future 2nd - 7+7 (this one was way overs in my view)

Neale+30 - 6+19+55
Hogan (2years ago version)+65 - 6+23
Dangerfield+50 - 9+28+Gore

Club one: "I'd be taking Logan McDonald. His year has been undeniable. I really like Riley as well, and he will be good, but I'm still not sure whether he'll be a key forward or a ruck, whereas I know what Logan is. He had a fantastic season."

Club two: "It would be a toss of the coin for me between Denver Grainger-Barras and Riley Thilthorpe, but I actually think I'd go with Grainger-Barras. I really like what he can do. I wouldn't call it reckless abandon, but he plays with such power and if he can mark it, he'll mark it, and he can really shut down good players. I liked him going back to under-16s level and his projection has continued since then."

Club three: "It's very hard to find players like Riley Thilthorpe. He's big, competitive, athletic and a genuine footballer. He'd be the one for me."

Club four: "I would go with McDonald. His performances at senior level are too hard to ignore. He's athletic and consistent and his character is really strong, as it is for a lot of the boys at the top, but his is really sound. There weren't too many weaknesses with him, but in saying that it is a really difficult call."

Club five: "It's Denver Grainger-Barras for us. Just his power and marking is so rare."

Club six: "Logan McDonald's season at senior level and his work ethic and athletic profile has him ahead. I would have had Elijah Hollands ahead at this time of last year but his knee injury and picking someone off an ACL at No.1 would be a big call."

Club seven: "I'd take McDonald. He's a better player. Aesthetically he doesn't look good as Riley Thilthorpe but he's tough and smart and runs like the wind. I think he's got a real steel to him."

Club eight: "Thilthorpe is it for us. His talent puts him ahead and the way the game is going, with his running ability and dual role he really fits into the way it's played."

Club nine: "Can I have two? I'd have Elijah Hollands or Denver Grainger-Barras just ahead of Logan McDonald. Elijah can really influence games and he's got that something special, so it'd be him."

Club ten: "I'd be inclined to take Denver, I reckon if Elijah didn't do his knee he would be just ahead. I typically lean to the key forwards ahead of the key defenders, as they're harder to find, but Grainger-Barras is very, very good."

Club eleven: "Thilthorpe would be ahead for me, bearing in mind his medical was all good. It's so rare to find players who can do what he does."

Club twelve: "I probably wouldn't take Logan or Riley, and it would be out of Denver and Elijah. It's so hard to say how it would have gone because they didn't play. Denver is rock-solid and Elijah is a star, but I'd probably end up going with Denver. He's a jet."

-----------------------------

So the results of that are

DGB - 4.5
McDonald - 4
Thilthorpe - 3
Hollands - 0.5

At last I can post in this thread.

DGB is clearly the number 1.
Club one: "I'd be taking Logan McDonald. His year has been undeniable. I really like Riley as well, and he will be good, but I'm still not sure whether he'll be a key forward or a ruck, whereas I know what Logan is. He had a fantastic season."

Club two: "It would be a toss of the coin for me between Denver Grainger-Barras and Riley Thilthorpe, but I actually think I'd go with Grainger-Barras. I really like what he can do. I wouldn't call it reckless abandon, but he plays with such power and if he can mark it, he'll mark it, and he can really shut down good players. I liked him going back to under-16s level and his projection has continued since then."

Club three: "It's very hard to find players like Riley Thilthorpe. He's big, competitive, athletic and a genuine footballer. He'd be the one for me."

Club four: "I would go with McDonald. His performances at senior level are too hard to ignore. He's athletic and consistent and his character is really strong, as it is for a lot of the boys at the top, but his is really sound. There weren't too many weaknesses with him, but in saying that it is a really difficult call."

Club five: "It's Denver Grainger-Barras for us. Just his power and marking is so rare."

Club six: "Logan McDonald's season at senior level and his work ethic and athletic profile has him ahead. I would have had Elijah Hollands ahead at this time of last year but his knee injury and picking someone off an ACL at No.1 would be a big call."

Club seven: "I'd take McDonald. He's a better player. Aesthetically he doesn't look good as Riley Thilthorpe but he's tough and smart and runs like the wind. I think he's got a real steel to him."

Club eight: "Thilthorpe is it for us. His talent puts him ahead and the way the game is going, with his running ability and dual role he really fits into the way it's played."

Club nine: "Can I have two? I'd have Elijah Hollands or Denver Grainger-Barras just ahead of Logan McDonald. Elijah can really influence games and he's got that something special, so it'd be him."

Club ten: "I'd be inclined to take Denver, I reckon if Elijah didn't do his knee he would be just ahead. I typically lean to the key forwards ahead of the key defenders, as they're harder to find, but Grainger-Barras is very, very good."

Club eleven: "Thilthorpe would be ahead for me, bearing in mind his medical was all good. It's so rare to find players who can do what he does."

Club twelve: "I probably wouldn't take Logan or Riley, and it would be out of Denver and Elijah. It's so hard to say how it would have gone because they didn't play. Denver is rock-solid and Elijah is a star, but I'd probably end up going with Denver. He's a jet."

-----------------------------

So the results of that are

DGB - 4.5
McDonald - 4
Thilthorpe - 3
Hollands - 0.5
See I told you. :)

Even well established good to elite players don't go for 2 top 10 picks these days. The "gun" Pick1 you're referring to, is an all-potential 18 year old at this stage and he will be long away from being worth 2 high picks. I'll discount the pick 58 change as it's pretty much lottery at that point.

Treloar+future 2nd - 7+7 (this one was way overs in my view)

Neale+30 - 6+19+55
Hogan (2years ago version)+65 - 6+23
Dangerfield+50 - 9+28+Gore
Fair enough response. Even elite prospects have potential future question marks (ie Hogan) but would depend on what player was available and whether they were a generational talent or fit a definitive need. I imagine if 58 was turned into say 20-25 something like this might be more realistic.

Astute move by Adelaide. Takes all the pressure off their preferred pick. Pick 1's always have a lot of hype to live up to. Pick 2's get away with anything they like by comparison.

JUH is already all over the front pages, Bulldogs have named a kebab stand after him and the ticker-tape parade through Footscray market is next week. Anything less than a Buddy of a career will be a failure from here.

Whereas Tilthorpe is the local lad, so probably the front of their papers still anyway. So the Crows haven't really lost anything media-wise, just taken a lot of pressure of their guy. THey recruited a bunch of Adelaide kids so much greater chance of keeping them around.

JUH is from Framlingham, which is almost exactly half way between Dartmoor (Jeremy Cameron) and Moggs Creek (Dangerfield). The Dogs would want to hope traffic doesn't pick up on the Princes Freeway over the next few years, or JUH might be inclined to move down the Highway.....

Such an even group of 4 players I'm not surprised recruiters were split.

DGB probably has the highest floor and easiest path to being a rock solid player. Even if he doesn't become an intercepting force he's gong to be a very good defender for a long time. And he'll control a backline. The backline general can't be underrated.

McDonald's a bit of the forward line version. Super hard worker, really solid in the contest. It's hard not seeing him becoming at least a steady performer and he's nailed the most important parts of being a big forward.

The other two are probably bigger gambles but with huge upside.

Clubs avoided the Hollands' gamble on the back of injury, but if he puts it together he's the type of player every team wants as he'll impact forward or on ball.

Thilthorpe the same and for mine the hardest to rate because clearly some clubs like it but what value is going in to the ruck if you've got a solid ruckman - to me, it's a bit meh, helps him develop or get involved on quiet days? But what can he do with his size, skills and movement as a forward - the answer is just about anything.

I'd have whimped out and gone DGB or McDonald, toss a coin. Good for the Crows though backing their man.

JUH is from Framlingham, which is almost exactly half way between Dartmoor (Jeremy Cameron) and Moggs Creek (Dangerfield). The Dogs would want to hope traffic doesn't pick up on the Princes Freeway over the next few years, or JUH might be inclined to move down the Highway.....

Lol. No chance he moves back to the mish.

Back