Should there be shorter quarters in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the AFL come out and said how long the quarters will be..?

I remember hearing 18 mins...but dont think that was official from AFL house.

The longer they say nothing, the more i fear we'll have shortened games.
Maybe waiting to announce it at 4:59 on a Friday afternoon or on Christmas eve.
I doubt there has ever been a rule change so overwhelmingly disliked by the public, so Gils too scared to announce it.

The longer they say nothing, the more i fear we'll have shortened games.
Maybe waiting to announce it at 4:59 on a Friday afternoon or on Christmas eve.
I doubt there has ever been a rule change so overwhelmingly disliked by the public, so Gils too scared to announce it.

Too many other changes .
Normal quarters would be a win for the fans.
IMO.

Absolutely no way to shorter quarters.

The bigger problem is the style of play this year. A lot of AFL matches, not just from my own side, were bordering on unwatchable at times.

I've said from the beginning, the AFL will use high ratings because footy was played frequently on weeknights during period where a huge % of the market were encouraged/required to stay home.

"Look how good our ratings were? The fans obviously loved the game with shorter quarters!"

I think ultimately it will go to 18 minutes, but it would not surprise if it's 16. That's what broadcasters want, shorter games and frequent games. I'd be shocked if we go back to 20 minute quarters. The players like it too, easier on them.

NRL have their fixture out. Exactly what it was before covid hit. They are so much more switched on than the AFL
People often knock the admin of the NRL, and sure they are failing in a lot of areas, but they've absolutely handled their on field game and COVID better than the AFL have. They've made rule changes that have absolutely improved the game and are widely fan endorsed and they've kept all the fundamentals of timings and fixtures etc. The AFL have been to much uncertainty and too much guesswork as they go.

I love how the whiners have been saying '(the current administration) are ruining the game!' for decades and decades. Just like they've been squealing that 'things were better in the good old days' for decades and decades....

I love how the whiners have been saying '(the current administration) are ruining the game!' for decades and decades. Just like they've been squealing that 'things were better in the good old days' for decades and decades....

Your point being?

We were the only league in the world that shortened 100% of their games. MLB had a few 7 inning shortened games on the day of double headers, but otherwise went the standard 9 innings.

Gil got a ton of credit for getting a season completed but he had to it by fundamentally changing and reducing the product on offer. It felt like a massive short cut was taken by the league and they could've extended the season by 3 more weeks by not doing the "festivals of football".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

??

20 min quarters next year:

'...the AFL Commission has ticked off a return to normal. AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan had long flagged a return to 20-minute quarter lengths, something the League resisted reverting to for the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

'The half-time break will consist of a 20-minute block with quarter-time and three-quarter time breaks to run six minutes.
There will be a 50-second gap following a goal to the resume of the centre restart, down from 60 seconds in 2020.

Last edited:
So after all of this they are now making games go longer by increasing the gap between goal and restart by 5 seconds from 2019.

No doubt comments will quickly start saying that the game is too long and then in 2022 it will be reduced to 18 minutes

20 min quarters next year:

'...the AFL Commission has ticked off a return to normal.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan had long flagged a return to 20-minute quarter lengths, something the League resisted reverting to for the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series.

'The half-time break will consist of a 20-minute block with quarter-time and three-quarter time breaks to run six minutes.

There will be a 50-second gap following a goal to the resume of the centre restart, down from 60 seconds in 2020.

Thank * sanity prevailed.
In all the footy seasons I have watched 2020 is one I never will probably want to look at any game again.
I understood why we had shorter quarters for the 17 rounds to just get a season done and financially have the game not be too rooted with 4 and 5 day breaks between needed but once the finals series started and clubs were getting normal breaks between gams of 6 days or more I totally was against shorter quarters kept as it meant for me personally the finals series was not fair dinkum length games to decide the premiership for the season. I had so little interest as the games were not going to feel likes real finals to me in line with every other season. I will never have an interest to see any replay of these games and it was all a blur as i could not retain interest in any games.

Shorter quarters if kept beyond this year I honestly think will have been the end of my love for our unique sport. My sport for 2021 now has hope again.
Cannot wait for a real footy season for 2021. Bring it on.
Best news for footy all year just came this hour.

Thank god.
Jeez we're gonna have some long games though, with such long gaps after a goal.
Channel 7 has clearly had their say.

So after all of this they are now making games go longer by increasing the gap between goal and restart by 5 seconds from 2019.

No doubt comments will quickly start saying that the game is too long and then in 2022 it will be reduced to 18 minutes
Nailed it.

ooh geez. Probably going to see some really old teams hit the cliff pretty quickly after 2020 hid the aging behind 16min quarters. Plus interchanges have also dropped again. Brisbane going back to being my favourite for 2021 cup now.

ooh geez. Probably going to see some really old teams hit the cliff pretty quickly after 2020 hid the aging behind 16min quarters. Plus interchanges have also dropped again. Brisbane going back to being my favourite for 2021 cup now.
Think younger teams will be more impacted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back