AFLW 2021 AFLW Fixture, Ticketing info - Updated!

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest info:

Second Edit:

The following question, and more, covered in the above link.
What do I need to do to attend an AFLW match?
All attendees must obtain a ticket in advance of the match via the assigned ticket agent, this includes juniors under 18 who are entitled to a free ticket. Tickets will not be available for sale at the match.

AFLW Club members will receive instructions from their Club on how to access tickets.

-------------------

First Edit:

2021_NAB_AFL_Women_s_Comeptition_Fixture.pdf

----------------

Original OP post:
Release date
Fixture has to be released in the first week of December. Then again, if there's a monkeypox outbreak two days later then of course everything could change.

Round one
Tentatively scheduled for the traditional first week of February start

Season length
9 H&A rounds + 3 weeks finals

Conferences
If the league sticks to the method they used for the 2020 season (which is what Nicole Livingstone said would happen, back in Oct 2019), the conferences for 2021 will be as follows.

A: Frem, Melb, Coll, GC, StK, WB, WC
B: NM, Carl, GWS, Bris, Geel, Adel, Rich

Hubs
Planned as a back-up

Attending games
I have no info here but it seems rather plausible that this could be the first fully-ticketed season.

What do you think and/or hope the fixture will look like? Do tell.

Last edited:
Release date
Fixture has to be released in the first week of December. Then again, if there's a monkeypox outbreak two days later then of course everything could change.

Round one
Tentatively scheduled for the traditional first week of February start

Season length
9 H&A rounds + 3 weeks finals

Conferences
If the league sticks to the method they used for the 2020 season (which is what Nicole Livingstone said would happen, back in Oct 2019), the conferences for 2021 will be as follows.

A: Frem, Melb, Coll, GC, StK, WB, WC
B: NM, Carl, GWS, Bris, Geel, Adel, Rich

Hubs
Planned as a back-up

Attending games
I have no info here but it seems rather plausible that this could be the first fully-ticketed season.

What do you think and/or hope the fixture will look like? Do tell.
I just hope we get a full fixture out, without any state having to go into lockdown. While it doesn't sound much, I think the extra regular season game will help even out the season. There should be less issues with people querying the worth of the teams that make it. Season is long enough that if you deserve to be there, you should get there.

Also think B looks a little stronger there, but people over obsess over relative strengths of the conferences. Its just part and parcel of conferences.

Kicking the season off a week earlier than usual, the sly devils, presumably because of the delayed start to the Aus Open.

May as well also note that the Thursday start is to avoid a clash with the beginning of the BBL finals.

Will they put Richmond on in the season opener again? Wouldn't have thought so. A return to Carlton v Collingwood seems most likely to me.

Will they put Richmond on in the season opener again? Wouldn't have thought so. A return to Carlton v Collingwood seems most likely to me.
Carlton v Collingwood at Ikon seems like the most logical choice. They've shown they can draw a crowd in the past and, from a football perspective, it's an interesting game. They're two teams that I would be expecting to be finals teams, at least. Richmond probably needs to earn their way back into big games.

Good call on the fully ticketed thing, BTW. When I read the OP I thought there was no chance, given I'd already bought my membership and (I think) it cost the same as last year. It'll be interesting to see what games, if any, the membership entitles me to.

Good call on the fully ticketed thing, BTW. When I read the OP I thought there was no chance, given I'd already bought my membership and (I think) it cost the same as last year. It'll be interesting to see what games, if any, the membership entitles me to.
More guessing: I'd say it'd cover every home game at least, but you'll still have to book yourself a "seat" ahead of time when you want to use it. Probably would have been the decisive factor in going full ticketing this season, helps for contact tracing etc.

More guessing: I'd say it'd cover every home game at least, but you'll still have to book yourself a "seat" ahead of time when you want to use it. Probably would have been the decisive factor in going full ticketing this season, helps for contact tracing etc.
That makes sense. Getting members to book a ticket helps confirm at least an intention to attend. There's some sort of paper trail for contact tracers, if necessary. I imagine a lot of thought has gone into contingencies for this season. $10 for just the adults isn't exactly a massive cash grab and it wouldn't shock me if the aim was to just break even on the implementation of the ticketing, while setting up the infrastructure for the future.

It will be interesting to see how many interstate games and regional games each team gets. If they give me home games, then I probably only have to pay for 2-3 other games max, since I'm unlikely to travel interstate for games.

I would've gone $5 max

ps - I have the $95 membership option that gets me reserved grand stand seating anyway, so I dont care.
But I think $10 might force people away.
Might have to advertise that it'll still be free for those under 18 (which are a large percentage of attendees.........At least in Adelaide)

Email received by my club:

The AFLW membership is a non-access membership as in the past all games have been free to access. In light of all the changes around the AFL and AFLW competitions this is one of the changes being made.

We are currently working through this and if there is anything we can do to assist members getting into game we will do this. Once we have finalised everything around this we will send information to all of our AFLW members.

Thurs
Carl v NM - 7pm
Frem v Melb - 9pm

Sat
StK v Geel - 3pm
Rich v WCE - 5pm

Sun
GWS v Adel - 1pm
Coll v GC - 3pm
Bris v WBD - 5pm

...is what the Round 1 fixture would be if it was up to me. Is it? Let's find out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only have 1 issue with the fixture. Obviously it'd be difficult to decide who gets 5 home and who gets 4, but I think it's just about perfect. But I think 1 team has one too little, and looking at it, it's easy to fix.

North Melbourne imo should have 1 more home game. Yeah, it is the clubs choice to play in Tasmania, but it's still harsh on the fans who only get 2 home games in Victoria. Could at least offset losing games interstate by playing 1 more game at Arden Street.

And it's easy to solve, Carlton have no reason to have an extra home game. Just switch the rd 4 game from Princess Park to Arden Street.

Probably the only thing more unreasonable for supporters than a 7pm Friday game at Casey Fields would be a 4.40pm Friday game anywhere.

West Coast drawn the short straw there.

I only have 1 issue with the fixture. Obviously it'd be difficult to decide who gets 5 home and who gets 4, but I think it's just about perfect. But I think 1 team has one too little, and looking at it, it's easy to fix.

North Melbourne imo should have 1 more home game. Yeah, it is the clubs choice to play in Tasmania, but it's still harsh on the fans who only get 2 home games in Victoria. Could at least offset losing games interstate by playing 1 more game at Arden Street.

And it's easy to solve, Carlton have no reason to have an extra home game. Just switch the rd 4 game from Princess Park to Arden Street.
I think everybody is better off having Carlton host North rather than the other way around.

Geelong hosting us again is a bit of a headscratcher, but still plenty of opportunities for the Shinboner faithful to see the team without barely leaving the 3051 postcode.

I think everybody is better off having Carlton host North rather than the other way around.

Geelong hosting us again is a bit of a headscratcher, but still plenty of opportunities for the Shinboner faithful to see the team without barely leaving the 3051 postcode.
Probably the only non-negotiables in who hosts 5 are Adelaide and GWS as neither get an away game at home.

Going to 5 home for all the non-vics makes minor sense with only 1 victorian team getting 5, but surely you go North who have home games in Tassie. And if not them, Geelong who have the highway to drive up. Carlton makes zero sense.

a bit disappointing that the Suns only are playing a single match this season in Victoria and it happens to be early on a Sunday arvo and I won't be able to attend sadly.

Thrilled with the Saints getting 4 Friday night fixtures in a 9 round season, now we have to prove that we're worthy of it.

Probably the only non-negotiables in who hosts 5 are Adelaide and GWS as neither get an away game at home.

Going to 5 home for all the non-vics makes minor sense with only 1 victorian team getting 5, but surely you go North who have home games in Tassie. And if not them, Geelong who have the highway to drive up. Carlton makes zero sense.
There will be more Pies, Roos and Dees supporters at Ikon Park than if those games were played at Vic Park, Arden Street and Casey Fields.

Easy claim for me to make as there's basically no way to dis/prove it, but it's the safest assumption, especially since there's a question around the % of venue capacity that will be allowed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back