Danny Frawley CTE

Remove this Banner Ad

Random bump but I was reading an article about a recently retired Rugby Union player who has been diagnosed with dementia and one of the quotes reminded me very much of something Danny had said previously.

"Mel wanted him to see a doctor. He told her not to worry, that it was just he was feeling stress. Then he had the blackout. He was out on a bike ride, a 25-mile loop he had done countless times. Halfway round, he had no idea where he was. He stopped, sat on the side of the road, called home, and Mel told him to cycle back the way he came."

"The most frightening thing happened when I was at the MCG one afternoon," he said. "I called [my wife] Anita up after a game. I was sitting in the car park, behind the wheel. I had no idea where to go, or what to do. I was lost. I had to call my wife up to work out how to get home from the MCG. I’d been driving home from the MCG for 30 years, and I didn’t know if I should turn left or right," he said.

There have been a series of articles about Rugby Union players with similar stories in the Guardian. Although CTE can only be diagnosed in people who have died I wonder if we will be seeing ex footy players diagnosed with early onset Dementia which will be linked to CTE.
can totally back this up.

my case is not head hits but head squeeeeze. (details in the mental health thread)

- the route that I drive to see mum+dad for 20 years...where I turn in...the road had simply disappeared one day, (difference here is I didn't forget, I knew the route but the road had VANISHED) I drove around lost for hours in a suburb I knew for 20 years. Still don't know how I finally arrived.

- on the way back the trip should have been 30mins, 1 hr max...so I left at 4ish in the arvo, how I ended up in Heidelberg I still don't know...had absolutely no business being there. Had to park the car on the side of the road, called my neighbour to pick me up at......11pm !!! so 4pm to 11 pm...what was i doing ? still don't know.
(later, my neighbour remarked that it looked like I was on a cocktail of drugs which was 100% untrue).

- next day, got a taxi to go get the car, distinctly remembered it was Rich vs WC day 2019, in the rain. Once again, got lost, simply could not get on to Punt Road to go home. Stopped several times and doorknocked to ask for directions.
One kind girl came to answer, she was about to open the security door to greet me, I don't know why but I instinctively said and I still remember my exact words: "No you stay there behind the safety of the door"...sheesh, gives me shivers now that I think about it.

This is the actual piece of paper that she drew a picture for me, think I'll take this with me to the grave. I think her dog's name was Elwood.

ps: tumour was removed, I'm all good.

dir.jpg

Last edited:
rugby league and rugby union, as sports will be finished.

you can't have criminal negligence resulting in gaol time, for directors, and health issues like this. Something has to give and I can guarantee repealing laws won't happen.

AFL will also be at risk but at least it can modify the game to become more like Gaelic footy or soccer.

Years ago ( at least 15) i had my furniture transported by a guy with his own truck - not naming him - and not criticising him at all - but he was a former top line 2nd rower - mainly for St George - but played for at least one other club

And he would be talking to you and mid sentence he would get stuck on his words - and that was purely from too many belts to the head - rugby league was so violent back then and prior = you had the ball and all tackle as they use too call it - ie the swinging arm to the head

And i can remember the Penrith coach back then John Lang - and his son i think it was Martin Lang he got knocked out 6-7 times

Rugby league is a ticking time bomb re this topic

I’ve said before in this thread I have no doubt that when I die I will be found to have CTE.

I have so many symptoms of it that it’s inevitable
Never drank, taken drugs, got in fights, mental history in the family? So many reasons for mental issues, including too many hits to the noggin in sport.

Also, footy is a tough game, injuries are going to happen. Pretty dumb to think head injuries might not occur and effect the rest of your life. Another injury, just like a buggered knee/hip/shoulder or anything else that effects the rest of your life. It's part and parcel of contact sport.

In the end it's your choice to play or not.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Never drank, taken drugs, got in fights, mental history in the family? So many reasons for mental issues, including too many hits to the noggin in sport.

Also, footy is a tough game, injuries are going to happen. Pretty dumb to think head injuries might not occur and effect the rest of your life. Another injury, just like a buggered knee/hip/shoulder or anything else that effects the rest of your life. It's part and parcel of contact sport.

In the end it's your choice to play or not.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

thanks Doc

can totally back this up.

my case is not head hits but head squeeeeze. (details in the mental health thread)

- the route that I drive to see mum+dad for 20 years...where I turn in...the road had simply disappeared one day, (difference here is I didn't forget, I knew the route but the road had VANISHED) I drove around lost for hours in a suburb I knew for 20 years. Still don't know how I finally arrived.

- on the way back the trip should have been 30mins, 1 hr max...so I left at 4ish in the arvo, how I ended up in Heidelberg I still don't know...had absolutely no business being there. Had to park the car on the side of the road, called my neighbour to pick me up at......11pm !!! so 4pm to 11 pm...what was i doing ? still don't know.
(later, my neighbour remarked that it looked like I was on a cocktail of drugs which was 100% untrue).

- next day, got a taxi to go get the car, distinctly remembered it was Rich vs WC day 2019, in the rain. Once again, got lost, simply could not get on to Punt Road to go home. Stopped several times and doorknocked to ask for directions.
One kind girl came to answer, she was about to open the security door to greet me, I don't know why but I instinctively said and I still remember my exact words: "No you stay there behind the safety of the door"...sheesh, gives me shivers now that I think about it.

This is the actual piece of paper that she drew a picture for me, think I'll take this with me to the grave. I think her dog's name was Elwood.

ps: tumour was removed, I'm all good.

View attachment 1026007

I know this area very well, and wow that map was not helpful!

I’ve said before in this thread I have no doubt that when I die I will be found to have CTE.

I have so many symptoms of it that it’s inevitable

I don't think there'd be a reason to test it, but I think I would probably have it to some degree as well - long term depression, rubbish short term memory, sometimes my brain just "shorts out" and I'll start stuttering, which I never did as a kid, and the biggest risk factor was a lot of serious head blows in my teens when my brain was still developing. (Sport, fights, accidents.)

Part of the problem with rugger is the size of modern players (and possibly than manner in which they get to that size) in the professional era. Compare Caleb Clarke to the size of Campese, Kirwan or other wing three quarters of the final amateur era, and the players also lay approximately double the amount of tackles in a game than they did twenty five years ago when the game went fully professional. The game will survive but they will have to rethink the way it's played in some areas.

Really sad details released to the public today, surronding the investigation of Danny Frawley's death, his mental health struggles he was experiencing in his final few years and how CTE could be a massive factor for his mental health problems as a result of repeated head knocks in the AFL.

Again, it is important for all of us on here to know on here as always that if you or something you know is experiencing any struggles/trouble with your mental health, it is so so crucial to tell others around you that you love (family, friends) that you are struggling with your mental health side of things and find suitable support for yourself or for another person (psychologist, medication, online services) to help them out, cause everyone loves you no matter where you are from and what you do, especially on this Bigfooty forum as well, and we don't want anything bad to happen to you all:

Below, I have copied some links/websites for anyone or someone they know is struggling with their mental health lately and need help:

Really sad details released to the public today, surronding the investigation of Danny Frawley's death, his mental health struggles he was experiencing in his final few years and how CTE could be a massive factor for his mental health problems as a result of repeated head knocks in the AFL.

Again, it is important for all of us on here to know on here as always that if you or something you know is experiencing any struggles/trouble with your mental health, it is so so crucial to tell others around you that you love (family, friends) that you are struggling with your mental health side of things and find suitable support for yourself or for another person (psychologist, medication, online services) to help them out, cause everyone loves you no matter where you are from and what you do, especially on this Bigfooty forum as well, and we don't want anything bad to happen to you all:

Below, I have copied some links/websites for anyone or someone they know is struggling with their mental health lately and need help:

Great stuff Cubs2Lions !
My dad suffers badly from depression, mood swings and anxiety which has only come on in the last 10 years (he is 55 now) which he thinks might be from the head knocks he took through his footy career.
I was wondering if there is anywhere out there where he can get checked out as he seems to have all the symptoms of CTE ?

Great stuff Cubs2Lions !
My dad suffers badly from depression, mood swings and anxiety which has only come on in the last 10 years (he is 55 now) which he thinks might be from the head knocks he took through his footy career.
I was wondering if there is anywhere out there where he can get checked out as he seems to have all the symptoms of CTE ?

No problems legend.

Regarding your Dad, first and upmost I hope your Dad takes care and hope you keep him safe & well cause that seems quite traumatic what he is going through in his life and it must be tough for you and the rest of the family as well.

It's kinda the reason why I stop being playing footy for less contact sports when I was younger as the long-term side effects seem too dangerous to play the sport now.

I don't know about anywhere you can check it out but you can only diagnose CTE for real after someone has died sadly and then they might take a look inside of the brain or something if he agrees to it.

Maybe going to the doctors to see if they can prescribe any medications to help him a little with his conditions or creating an mental health plan for your Dad and then maybe seeing a psychologist to talk about what he is going through but I'm not a medical professional sorry so that's the best I can do in this situation.

Last edited:
No problems legend.

Regarding your Dad, first and upmost I hope your Dad takes care and hope you keep him safe & well cause that seems quite traumatic what he is going through in his life and it must be tough for you and the rest of the family as well.

It's kinda the reason why I stop being playing footy for less contact sports when I was younger as the long-term side effects seem too dangerous to play the sport now.

I don't know about anywhere you can check it out but you can only diagnose CTE for real after someone has died sadly and then they might take a look inside of the brain or something if he agrees to it.

Maybe going to the doctors to see if they can prescribe any medications to help him a little with his conditions or maybe seeing a psychologist to talk about what he is going through but I'm not a medical professional sorry so that's the best I can do.
Thanks mate it's much appreciated, he's been to a psychologist and it does help him get through.
Again thanks for taking the time to reply !

I was in a major car accident about 5 years ago and saw double for the longest time, its slowly tapered off now that I don't remember exactly when it dissapeared. I couldn't remember where I was for days, even weeks later I would forget what day it was, if it was the morning or afternoon. Thank god its gone now but I do wonder if one incident could create some kind of CTE.

I was in a major car accident about 5 years ago and saw double for the longest time, its slowly tapered off now that I don't remember exactly when it dissapeared. I couldn't remember where I was for days, even weeks later I would forget what day it was, if it was the morning or afternoon. Thank god its gone now but I do wonder if one incident could create some kind of CTE.

I think the reseach has said CTE is more from repeated head knocks over a long time. For one off major injuries there could be temporary or permanent brain damage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reseach has said CTE is more from repeated head knocks over a long time. For one off major injuries there could be temporary or permanent brain damage

Research needs to be continued in to all forms of mental illness and any funds the AFL can contribute will be extremely beneficial. CTE definitely needs to be taken more seriously. The extension of resting times for concussion related injuries a small but important step.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back