Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Seamus Mitchell - Pick #29 2020 ND - extends to 2025! Round 17 Rising Star!

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems an interesting pick - we certainly have looked to add some pace (just most are pretty small).

We have a log jam of players for a few small forward spots - breust, chad, silk, Ollie, Nash, Moore, maybe CJ + now Seamus, Brock and Saunders. Seems a bit strange from a list management point of view.
Not really.

Puopolo out - Seamus in
Walker out - Brockman in
Jones out - Saunders (a midfielder) in

Moore is an outside mid. Jiath is a defender.

Our current players who take the small forward roles are Breust, Wingard, Hanrahan, Nash, Impey, Morris and Burgoyne. Keep in mind that Burgoyne is gone by the end of the year and probably plays more of a medium forward if anything. Nash was more used as an outside mid this year as well so its a bit of a stretch having him here . Impey might go back to defense next year as well.

Seamus coming in is a great pick up as we really need more speed up forward. I'd put money on him being used as a line-breaking half back flanker though.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
20201210_171559.jpg

Knee and ankle injury.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
There is a certain player who Seamus reminds me of, but since people around here don't like saying his name I'll just call him Ban Dutler. Pure burst and smart by foot by the looks of those highlights. Excited to see how he develops.

There is a certain player who Seamus reminds me of, but since people around here don't like saying his name I'll just call him Ban Dutler. Pure burst and smart by foot by the looks of those highlights. Excited to see how he develops.
No idea who you could be referring to

sohsam

All Australian
Oct 5, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Strange pick for mine, given the talent still available.
Seems an interesting pick - we certainly have looked to add some pace (just most are pretty small).

We have a log jam of players for a few small forward spots - breust, chad, silk, Ollie, Nash, Moore, maybe CJ + now Seamus, Brock and Saunders. Seems a bit strange from a list management point of view.
This was the most interesting selection, I doubt many even knew him. There were some good midfield option still there, top 20 pick Carroll went for 40+. Yes certainly looks like club was keen to pick up 2-3 small forwards and make sure at least some if not all become elite. Breust, over 30, silk retiring, Chad mixture with midfield, rest are not up to scratch, if they can become Puopolo standard, we will be lauging and Puopolo hit the road running, in first year.

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Not really.

Puopolo out - Seamus in
Walker out - Brockman in
Jones out - Saunders (a midfielder) in

Moore is an outside mid. Jiath is a defender.

Our current players who take the small forward roles are Breust, Wingard, Hanrahan, Nash, Impey, Morris and Burgoyne. Keep in mind that Burgoyne is gone by the end of the year and probably plays more of a medium forward if anything. Nash was more used as an outside mid this year as well so its a bit of a stretch having him here . Impey might go back to defense next year as well.

Seamus coming in is a great pick up as we really need more speed up forward. I'd put money on him being used as a line-breaking half back flanker though.

I wouldn't pigeon hole Moore as an outside midfielder. Has genuine mongrel and not afraid to get amongst it. Used to make his TAC coaches cringe by putting is head down and crash packs as a very skinny and under developed junior. Has put on some good size now and good to go for next year. I know I bang on alot about him but really bullish his abilities, kid has a very bright future ahead of him IMO

On Topic

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't pigeon hole Moore as an outside midfielder. Has genuine mongrel and not afraid to get amongst it. Used to make his TAC coaches cringe by putting is head down and crash packs as a very skinny and under developed junior. Has put on some good size now and good to go for next year. I know I bang on alot about him but really bullish his abilities, kid has a very bright future ahead of him IMO
No that's ok - fair points. I think he will be primarily used on the wing as an outside mid with the ability to go forward. I was generalizing a bit with the players in the same way I'd call Sicily a defender or Wingard a small forward.

Indeed, the issue with Moore is that he was the 9th highest rated player in his draft by Champion Data as an inside mid, not an outside mid. We're trying to make an outside player out of him when it's not really his natural game.

Someone with a bit of toe is valuable in a few places, not just pigeonholed as the small forward.

Could just as easily be a line-breaking HBF, Saad/Impey style...and maybe rotate through some stints as an outside mid.

Even if he is pencilled in as the small forward, I don't think the current existence of Breust, Silk or Nash makes this a strange choice at all

Everyone acknowledges we were genuinely short on pace...not just one player short, a lot short.

In a year when you can't really assess current form and progress, pace is a known quality.

Take mids next year.

There is no way he should have been training that close to the draft. Put his chances of being of being drafted at risk.
Doesn't the draft normally happen during the mandatory off season break for players?

Clubs have already gone back to training, draftees would probably have been told they needed to be ready to go

hawkdork83

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unfortunately Buckenara has been off the boil for a while now. He had Phillips at 13 and didn't even have Downie in his top 50 or rookie selections.

Sadly Bukenera is really cringeworthy in any article he writes these days. I feel for the guy, you see how much footy means to him (emotionally and financially) and it's painful to see how far out of the loop he is these days.

Sadly Bukenera is really cringeworthy in any article he writes these days. I feel for the guy, you see how much footy means to him (emotionally and financially) and it's painful to see how far out of the loop he is these days.
If it meant that much to him (emotionally & financially), would he not get back in the loop?

Back