Society & Culture Marijuana and it's legal status

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I do enjoy being able to go into a shop and buying it over here, the price is far greater and the quality isn't as good as on the black market. If you don't know what you're getting off your dealer then you need to change dealers.
If the government is serious about legalising it to put a dint in the black market, then they need to give businesses the chance to grow weed without so many regulations that make companies overheads so much that they need to sell it at stupid prices.
I also worry about the direction the Australian government is heading, there's roughly 25-30 licenced producers in Australia now, which in itself is too many considering there are only roughly 10,000 registered patients last time I checked, but majority of those companies are the big dogs from Canada. Canopy Growth (Constellation) have their hand in a few pies, and MediPharm are currently building in Gippsland and plan to be operational by June next year.
The government need to make the cultivation & processing licences not so much easier, but more attractive to smaller businesses that would be able to produce quality over quantity that can compete with the black market.
Really? Where are you situated?

I found the prices to be very reasonable and the quality to be great.

Being able to walk into the store and tell someone exactly what kind of high you want is awesome, you cant get that with a dealer, you get what you get

Really? Where are you situated?

I found the prices to be very reasonable and the quality to be great.

Being able to walk into the store and tell someone exactly what kind of high you want is awesome, you cant get that with a dealer, you get what you get
Yeh I guess it depends on where you are comparing it too. Im in Canada. I can go to any dealer and say I want and Indica or a Sativa, on the flip side they tell me what strains they have and I'll choose from that. That sort of thing doesn't happen in Australia all that often but is slowly improving.

The prices over here are far better than back home, but comparably speaking anything from a store is significantly more expensive than on the black market.

Ulcerative Colitis and IBS here, Medical patient now. Apparently as MM patients we will be allowed to drive without getting ****ed over soon by the police too, so that makes life so much easier.

Its not the best system yet, but it’s a far cry from 2 years, even a year ago!

For anyone wondering and isn’t sure how legit out medical cannabis field is getting; I got my first prescription which I’ll be receiving in about 5 days.

CBD oil.
THC oil (Sativa) 100ml
THC oil (Indica) 100ml
30g of 18% Hybrid Bud.

Another appointment with the doctor is all I need to redo the prescription or change products to experiment with what works best, when, how etc.

Can literally walk the streets with all that and my vape in my pocket and no one can do a damn thing about it.

Absolute life changer for my disease. Like literally gives me my life back; I haven’t been able to eat in public or do most things I want, I’ve struggled for over a decade. I can’t believe this shits moving forward at least. These are the first steps to proper access.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering and isn’t sure how legit out medical cannabis field is getting; I got my first prescription which I’ll be receiving in about 5 days.

CBD oil.
THC oil (Sativa) 100ml
THC oil (Indica) 100ml
30g of 18% Hybrid Bud.

Another appointment with the doctor is all I need to redo the prescription or change products to experiment with what works best, when, how etc.

Can literally walk the streets with all that and my vape in my pocket and no one can do a damn thing about it.

Absolute life changer for my disease. Like literally gives me my life back; I haven’t been able to eat in public or do most things I want, I’ve struggled for over a decade. I can’t believe this shits moving forward at least. These are the first steps to proper access.

I give much love to Releaf Clinic Bentleigh & St Kilda. Legends.
Awesome to hear mate.
Out of curiosity what were the prices you paid for the products?

Awesome to hear mate.
Out of curiosity what were the prices you paid for the products?

I might be a few bucks off here - - I have a cactus memory!

$180ish I believe for the CBD.
$250ish for the Indica Oil, $150ish for the Sativa Oil. All 100ml so that works out pretty low per day oil-wise. And that’s months worth for me.

The flower was I think $170 per 10g. A little bit pricer than street, but I mean I’ll take a bit more money to have legal medication and quality control and regulated product.

CBD oil.
THC oil (Sativa) 100ml
THC oil (Indica) 100ml
30g of 18% Hybrid Bud.

Happy for you, mate! Australia are a bit behind with this but good to hear it's heading in the right direction.

I might be a few bucks off here - - I have a cactus memory!

$180ish I believe for the CBD.
$250ish for the Indica Oil, $150ish for the Sativa Oil. All 100ml so that works out pretty low per day oil-wise. And that’s months worth for me.

The flower was I think $170 per 10g. A little bit pricer than street, but I mean I’ll take a bit more money to have legal medication and quality control and regulated product.
Nice! Would love an update on the flower quality when you get it. Such good news and just the start of hopefully great things for the industry.

Happy for you, mate! Australia are a bit behind with this but good to hear it's heading in the right direction.

Nice! Would love an update on the flower quality when you get it. Such good news and just the start of hopefully great things for the industry.

Thanks guys! It really is awesome news; shows that although not great yet we are progressing albeit hidden and kept very secretive (good luck finding any information outside Reddit /subs) but it’s a start!

The doctor I spoke to is pretty clued in apparently he was one of the first on this train here; he expects their dispensaries to be more akin to the U.S style store in the next couple years!

I’ll definitely update with quality feedback when the product arrives. Should be interesting to really see the different in regulated vs street.

Flower has arrived. Quality is superb compared to street. Not at all what I was thinking price wise either. Still a bit more than street price, but worth it for the stress free life.
F3E2955A-9B08-4151-9FAB-B78DBCCDBE18.jpeg B9922D12-C9C4-4F0A-91D7-9A5FB308BC4D.jpeg

EDIT: Oils have also arrived. Great Quality. Pain free Christmas finally. Best draw in the house by a mile. Legal. Stress-free. 2DA5CD56-782E-4CE5-9B47-35C40370586F.jpeg

Last edited:
Flower has arrived. Quality is superb compared to street. Not at all what I was thinking price wise either. Still a bit more than street price, but worth it for the stress free life.
View attachment 1028120View attachment 1028121
Althea is partly owned by Aphria who are one of, if not the only profitable cannabis LP in Canada. They produce quality stuff. They have a supply agreement so you might just be smoking some Canadian bud there.

Althea is partly owned by Aphria who are one of, if not the only profitable cannabis LP in Canada. They produce quality stuff. They have a supply agreement so you might just be smoking some Canadian bud there.

Ah, that is interesting cheers for the knowledge drop!

Canadians know what they’re doing then for sure! 👌 Real smooth.

Have also now received the oils. All in all from first contact to receiving product took 6 days.

Unreal. Not the perfect system yet. But it’s there for genuine medical need at least and it’s a start!

Doctor reckon 2 years and we have proper walk in headshops.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have also now received the oils. All in all from first contact to receiving product took 6 days.

Unreal. Not the perfect system yet. But it’s there for genuine medical need at least and it’s a start!

Doctor reckon 2 years and we have proper walk in headshops.
massive improvement from what you could do previously

really I'd like them to just get on with making it legal

Ah, that is interesting cheers for the knowledge drop!

Canadians know what they’re doing then for sure! 👌 Real smooth.
Majority of the Australian Lp's are Canadian owned. When Australia does legalize it I really hope they promote smaller grows and make it easier to start a grow rather than just letting these giant companies have a monopoly over the market.

Majority of the Australian Lp's are Canadian owned. When Australia does legalize it I really hope they promote smaller grows and make it easier to start a grow rather than just letting these giant companies have a monopoly over the market.

I’d 100% support smaller privately owned growers. Small local business is far superior to corporations!

massive improvement from what you could do previously

really I'd like them to just get on with making it legal

Agreed! Just let us grow our own or buy in store. Access for everyone. No reason to have alcohol available to anyone who wants it but not weed when we have the knowledge.

Just to add to this, Aphria and Tilray are going to merge and become the biggest cannabis company in the world.

My experience with medical was that the flower was expensive and no better than black market. In fact, in many cases it was worse - if I'm paying about $190 for 10 grams, it better not have a s**t ton of stem and leaf in it. And it better be what I was prescribed - twice I spoke to the pharmacist who says "this hasn't tested as strong as it was supposed to, hence the discount."

Can you imagine being prescribed an antibiotic or a benzo and your pharmacist saying "oh, it's not actually the prescribed strength, bad luck."

I'm not sure where you can get 100ml of sativa THC oil for $150 - I was never quoted less than $300 for 100ml of anything, so I just went back to making my own oil, which is stronger anyway.

I'm glad we've made strides in access to medicinal cannabis. But I feel that, in Victoria at least, we're going backwards and starting to undo that good work, cos the system is too hard, too unreliable and too expensive when the bud/oil is no better than street, and is considerably more expensive. People are losing faith in the medical system.

My experience with medical was that the flower was expensive and no better than black market. In fact, in many cases it was worse - if I'm paying about $190 for 10 grams, it better not have a sh*t ton of stem and leaf in it. And it better be what I was prescribed - twice I spoke to the pharmacist who says "this hasn't tested as strong as it was supposed to, hence the discount."

Can you imagine being prescribed an antibiotic or a benzo and your pharmacist saying "oh, it's not actually the prescribed strength, bad luck."

I'm not sure where you can get 100ml of sativa THC oil for $150 - I was never quoted less than $300 for 100ml of anything, so I just went back to making my own oil, which is stronger anyway.

I'm glad we've made strides in access to medicinal cannabis. But I feel that, in Victoria at least, we're going backwards and starting to undo that good work, cos the system is too hard, too unreliable and too expensive when the bud/oil is no better than street, and is considerably more expensive. People are losing faith in the medical system.
I’m confused at the bit where the pharmacist said it’s not as strong as it’s meant to be?
Are they told the thc % is x? Because depending on what part of the plant was tested you’ll get different readings. Hence why when you buy products the THC is always listed, for example 18-23%. It’s never, this is 23%. Also it gets tested before it’s put to sale, so it will be listed in its range. If it’s tested again afterwards and is outside that range then the product is recalled. I’ve seen it recalled for being lower but also for being higher than the % listed.

My experience with medical was that the flower was expensive and no better than black market. In fact, in many cases it was worse - if I'm paying about $190 for 10 grams, it better not have a sh*t ton of stem and leaf in it. And it better be what I was prescribed - twice I spoke to the pharmacist who says "this hasn't tested as strong as it was supposed to, hence the discount."

Sorry you had a poor experience man!

I think the pharmacist is either full of s**t or just unaware, because that’s not how it works. Won’t be sold if it didn’t test to the acceptable levels of the strain.

The hassle of the system is a pain; and the initial burst of cost is heavy due to appointments etc. As for the product itself you’re exaggerating how much more it is than street price UNLESS you buy Os off your dealer.

There are quality medical strains as cheap as $140 for 10g.
And no mate I’m sorry, for 95% of the country MEDICAL is far superior quality... most street green here is complete PGR poison. Obviously those with an epic plug don’t have that worry but the other 95% do.

I’d rather pay $140-$230 for 10g of regulated flower than $200 for an extra 4g of variable quality, random strains and the added fear and stress of illegal activity.

System has a long way to go, but it’s not going backwards.

I’d rather pay $140-$230 for 10g of regulated flower than $200 for an extra 4g of variable quality, random strains and the added fear and stress of illegal activity.

System has a long way to go, but it’s not going backwards.
I have zero experience with the medical side of weed but for $14 a gram let alone $23 it would want to be astronomically good- im talking cannabis cup winning, make your eyes bleed, "is this s**t laced?" level good.
Thats double or triple street price ffs! Let alone mates rates.

Do you know if you can you get pure CBD bud on script?
Ive lost interest in green in recent years and when I do indulge I usually vape hash or keif so im all good THC wise.

I have zero experience with the medical side of weed but for $14 a gram let alone $23 it would want to be astronomically good- im talking cannabis cup winning, make your eyes bleed, "is this sh*t laced?" level good.
Thats double or triple street price ffs! Let alone mates rates.

Do you know if you can you get pure CBD bud on script?
Ive lost interest in green in recent years and when I do indulge I usually vape hash or keif so im all good THC wise.

Well I mean most street dealers from my knowledge are around 7g for around $100 no? That works out to like $14ish a gram. Hence why I say unless you’re buying bulk off your dealer, the price of the flower isn’t that that insane. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still way too high! But it’s not the worst. It is slowly going down as more products are being introduced.

Oh and the $24 a gram is the 30% THC Indica so at least that one does make your eyes bleed! 😂. Actually picking some up next week as I got a prescription for it alongside a nice Sativa!

Yeah dude there are a few CBD buds available different strengths. I’m actually looking into it when I have my next appointment as the oils have been a bust (like edibles they just don’t process most likely due to my bowel disease and first-pass through the liver not having the correct enzyme to absorb and breakdown the thc) so I’d like to try CBD in flower form.

Well I mean most street dealers from my knowledge are around 7g for around $100 no? That works out to like $14ish a gram. Hence why I say unless you’re buying bulk off your dealer, the price of the flower isn’t that that insane. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still way too high! But it’s not the worst. It is slowly going down as more products are being introduced.

Oh and the $24 a gram is the 30% THC Indica so at least that one does make your eyes bleed! 😂. Actually picking some up next week as I got a prescription for it alongside a nice Sativa!

Yeah dude there are a few CBD buds available different strengths. I’m actually looking into it when I have my next appointment as the oils have been a bust (like edibles they just don’t process most likely due to my bowel disease and first-pass through the liver not having the correct enzyme to absorb and breakdown the thc) so I’d like to try CBD in flower form.
I dont think ive heard of $100+ quarters since the mid 90s.
For years ive paid about half that, however that is of blokes who deal quantity so I guess thats not exactly 'street' prices.

I couldn't really care less about paying more for it off a script, im just surprised.

Was the process of getting it hard in your experience?
As I mentioned im not really interested in getting stoned, I want the CBD for pain relief and sleep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back