2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Beatson said in one of his pre-draft interviews that likely a third academy player could be picked, I too thought it would have been Thorne.
Agreed but I think the issue for Thorne is that he probably doesn’t offer a point of difference once we’d picked up Campbell and Gulden plus already having the likes of Wicks, Papley, Stephens and even Gray and Taylor.

Hopefully he sticks with it, plays a year with our EAFL side and is considered next year with the list sizes increase again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I would think he would be one of the first players we would offer a contract to, definitely deserves it.

Hopefully he sticks with it, plays a year with our EAFL side and is considered next year with the list sizes increase again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Don't bet your life on list sizes increasing again. Fox is going down the toilet and FTA TV is struggling. Doubt we'll ever see deals like the last one.
Additionally, there will be about $600 million in debts to clear.
Memberships will get more expensive.
There's a lot to play out here.

Don't bet your life on list sizes increasing again. Fox is going down the toilet and FTA TV is struggling. Doubt we'll ever see deals like the last one.
I thought I read somewhere that the AFL said COVID only cost them about $100mil

The future of live sport is google. One day google will buy the rights to the AFL, and you will stream the AFL on your internet television through youtube. Google will be able to count how many people are watching at every second of the coverage, and they will tailor the ads to every individual person as well. They will give the AFL money based solely on viewership, and how many ads are being watched.

The future of live sport is google. One day google will buy the rights to the AFL, and you will stream the AFL on your internet television through youtube. Google will be able to count how many people are watching at every second of the coverage, and they will tailor the ads to every individual person as well. They will give the AFL money based solely on viewership, and how many ads are being watched.
Nah YouTube's streaming services are s**t compared to the wider market

I thought I read somewhere that the AFL said COVID only cost them about $100mil
Each round puts about 360,000 bums on seats. At $40 per bum = 14 million per round x 23 rounds = a bit over $300 million plus finals lost income.
Head Office and club costs including grounds.
So maybe not $600 but well over $100 million.
They organised a $600 million line of credit secured by Marvel Stadium.
They'll most likely run at a loss for a while.

Each round puts about 360,000 bums on seats. At $40 per bum = 14 million per round x 23 rounds = a bit over $300 million plus finals lost income.
Head Office and club costs including grounds.
So maybe not $600 but well over $100 million.
They organised a $600 million line of credit secured by Marvel Stadium.
They'll most likely run at a loss for a while.
Well... that's not what Gil said:

"The industry revenue was down substantially, but through the hard work of all those groups I mentioned we’re going to come out (with) aggregate industry losses that’ll be under $100 million."

It costs a lot of money to run stadiums for big crowds. If the crowd isn't there you lose the income generated by the crowd, but you also don't have to fork out the expenditure either, so your back of the envelope maths is missing a key component that would bring that number down.

Well... that's not what Gil said:

"The industry revenue was down substantially, but through the hard work of all those groups I mentioned we’re going to come out (with) aggregate industry losses that’ll be under $100 million."

It costs a lot of money to run stadiums for big crowds. If the crowd isn't there you lose the income generated by the crowd, but you also don't have to fork out the expenditure either, so your back of the envelope maths is missing a key component that would bring that number down.
Fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or Jarryd McVeigh. Or Lenny Hayes!

(Jesus the Pennant Hills club is solid. Why is it such an AFL hotbed of talent?)

I played juniors for Pennant Hills until we split to form a Baulkham Hills team - the first one ever. I then came back to play for PH in the u19s and seniors. Back then, it was a very white collar area that had a lot of middle (and upper) management who had relocated from Vic. The Hills District had a lot of Vic refugees living there and the biggest competition we had was from St Ives/North Shore who had exactly the same scenario.
Also, the fact that it is the first team you come to when you are travelling down from the Central Coast also helps.
Terry Thripp also came from our club.

I feel for Thorne. I think he deserves a shot somewhere.

Would imagine he is somewhat disillusioned. Being over aged this was his year to get drafted I suspect. But high level perseverance pays dividends.......look at Parks now on a list after missing out last year- getting best first year player award in SANFL to merit that

Irrelevant. YouTube isn't built for that. Google would just buy an appropriate platform.

Amazon is the other one that could do it, of course. Probably they'll compete.
Also as if Google would waste money on a niche sport in a tiny country

Also as if Google would waste money on a niche sport in a tiny country

More likely they'd buy a subscription service and eventually AFL would approach them, not the other way around. Already see something similar with Kayo under Foxtel.

It will probably end up a recreation of the old pay TV model, but fully online and integrated with the user's online profile, allowing for a highly customised "user experience" (read: advertising).

Ok.

Thomas Longmire or however you spell it is not considered a legit prospect. I doubt he even made rams considering how little I've heard about him.
There really isn't anyone really draftable in the crop of 17s this year going 18 in 2021.
The under 16s going into under 17s I believe have a prospect named Will Sabolch from the Western Suburbs. Repped NSW in u15s and was named All-Australian u15. great size and weight too.

Ok.

Thomas Longmire or however you spell it is not considered a legit prospect. I doubt he even made rams considering how little I've heard about him.
There really isn't anyone really draftable in the crop of 17s this year going 18 in 2021.
The under 16s going into under 17s I believe have a prospect named Will Sabolch from the Western Suburbs. Repped NSW in u15s and was named All-Australian u15. great size and weight too.
Longmire wasn't in the U16 Rams team in 2019. That would be the best guide to who was ahead in the pecking order before this season:

Talking to my nephew at Christmas. The Academy has under 17s and under 19s now. I think this has something to do with the changed VFL NEAFL.
He is in the 17s this year. He liked the fact that Campbell, Gulden and Sheather go drafted. Said the boys he is training with have hopes of getting drafted too. All good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back