Delisted 21. Nicholas Stevens (2021- 2022)

Nice where did you read that? Everything i can find just says he's a half back
Troy Selwood said something similar in the draft wrap.

Menzel and mackie are virtually twins in both looks, shape and game style. Mackie also started off as sj type foward as well Many forget. But unlike sj both menzel and mackie were faster, had bigger kicks and could take an overhead grab.
We see things differently. When I first saw Menzel, 2 of us immediately said- SJ. The kicking action, the goal sense, the swagger, the confidence.
Mackie started as a really lean fragile looking player- admittedly, he never got really big!

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Great thing about this pick is Nick trained at the club, they had him literally under the microscope.
They know exactly what they've paid the pick for, knowing that fact l'm very confident we have maximum value here.
At 191.5cm he has that versatile size about him and not unaccustomed playing through the midfield.
Very good 3rd pick imo.

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong
Blitz and hendo are taller at the KP end and I advocate getting a KPD but we're deep enough for sub 195cm defenders I feel.
SDK fills one of those posts. Perhaps Krueger gets a gig there too (maybe they will even try Sav back there). Neale could also be a type as he is the same height etc as SDK. Plenty of talls to try and we always end up finding someone be it our own forwards or from other teams.

SDK fills one of those posts. Perhaps Krueger gets a gig there too (maybe they will even try Sav back there). Neale could also be a type as he is the same height etc as SDK. Plenty of talls to try and we always end up finding someone be it our own forwards or from other teams.
I am actually on board with Neale going back there. But I also think that by the time SDK is ready to be the number 1 on gorillas we're down 2 positions not 1

I am actually on board with Neale going back there. But I also think that by the time SDK is ready to be the number 1 on gorillas we're down 2 positions not 1

Sdk probably needs to be ready in 12 months as i expect hendo to retire then.
We need Neale to be ready for when Stanley retires which he hopefully plays for another couple of years.

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong
Depends more on nous for SDK now more than anything. It took Scarlett a couple of years (I remember him getting monstered by the likes of Lloyd early on).

So if he can get some games under his belt, then by 2022 I reckon he will be ready to go. Hendo will be done or will assume a back up role, Blicavs will still have a couple of years left and I would bet my left testicle we will go after some proven defensive talent from other clubs in the meantime.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Sdk probably needs to be ready in 12 months as i expect hendo to retire then.
We need Neale to be ready for when Stanley retires which he hopefully plays for another couple of years.

I think post Selwood/Dangerfield we will have to go through a period of having a new team take time to emerge. We will probably be less likely to take as many fa’s, more likely in the initial years to build through the draft again. We’ll have to all be patient.

I think post Selwood/Dangerfield we will have to go through a period of having a new team take time to emerge. We will probably be less likely to take as many fa’s, more likely in the initial years to build through the draft again. We’ll have to all be patient.
Patience is vice

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs

That will go well around here, you would think. After all, it's hardly the characteristic that first springs to mind when you think of our board.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
We see things differently. When I first saw Menzel, 2 of us immediately said- SJ. The kicking action, the goal sense, the swagger, the confidence.
Mackie started as a really lean fragile looking player- admittedly, he never got really big!
Certainly at Geelong... I first saw him in the champs playing HBF .. and played more like a rebound defender ... but once at Geelong.. watching his forst or second VFL game he was like watching SJ back to the future

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Are you kidding!
P47, .. many great players have been picked 40's and plenty of failures in the top 10.

People watch the u-18s and know the standout kids so having an opinion on the early picks is fair enough. When you get this late on it is really speculative and you just trust whoever they pick.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
People watch the u-18s and know the standout kids so having an opinion on the early picks is fair enough. When you get this late on it is really speculative and you just trust whoever they pick.

Yeah but they know what they know they're not throwing darts.
The kid was at the club etc, etc you think they don't have a clue?
40'isn't that much long shot territory.

Last edited:
Back