Game Day AFC DRAFT DAY THREAD

How many additional 2021 picks will we end up with from draft day trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You have these small opportunities in life to seize the moment. Im not saying next year is it, Im just saying that, I dont want us to look back years from now and say and we should have done this or that.

Only time will tell.

I have a feeling we’re getting a little more ruthless in our strategy

Here’s to taking opportunities

So we are actually down on just having all our picks, considering where we will likely finish.

Not really? We will still have our first and second round picks, we have an extra second round pick which is guaranteed to be better than our third round pick would have been, and then once you get out to the fourth round it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Not really? We will still have our first and second round picks, we have an extra second round pick which is guaranteed to be better than our third round pick would have been, and then once you get out to the fourth round it's all a crap shoot anyway.

Plus Hamish was talking about using 2022 picks to get further into the 2021 draft

I think we have a clear plan regarding the mids available next year - the third year of our three year rebuild

Yeah i missed that 2nd 2nd!

Plus Hamish was talking about using 2022 picks to get further into the 2021 draft

I think we have a clear plan regarding the mids available next year - the third year of our three year rebuild
Importantly and realistically, our 2022 1st/2nd will hold a lot of value/currency which can be used as bargaining chips in the 2021 draft.

Importantly and realistically, our 2022 1st/2nd will hold a lot of value/currency which can be used as bargaining chips in the 2021 draft.

In Hamish we continue to trust

If we get a flag out of this he’s gotta get a lot of the credit

c9d6a388f10bb76cdc3405ba326a60bb.jpg

Bye, MCrouch.

Bye, MCrouch.
If Brad Crouch got us a pick in the late 20s, Matt will get us a pick in the 40s.

If Brad Crouch got us a pick in the late 20s, Matt will get us a pick in the 40s.
Technically it was an early 20s but M.Crouch at his AA form will no doubt be band 1 compensation and he has been way less injury prone than B.Crouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year a few posters thought Mcasey looked forlorn when drafted by us. Doesn't compare with the outright dismay on the face of Tanner Bruhn when he was drafted by GWS.
I think I was one of them. I didn’t like the way he kept saying it’s good to be drafted by “a club” over and over again. Never seemed to mention the Crows by name, as in he was happy to be drafted by the Crows. Couple that with his lack of enthusiasm as his name was called out has me a little worried about his tenure in Adelaide.

In saying that, yeah, GWS should be very worried about Bruhn. He looked like he wanted to reach for the puke bag.

Is Bryce Gibbs the first AFL player to go at pick 1 twice?
According to swamp on Twitter 10 players have been picked at the same pick twice.
Gibbs is the second player to go pick one twice. Jack Martin went number one in the mini draft (2012? I think) and then pick one in the PSD.

Reckon Penshurst youngster Josh Rentsch 195cm Forward/Ruck showed enough as a 16 year old in 2019 to think he might be a big chance in 2021 even after missing important development this year. Definitely a name to keep an eye out for in 2021, reckon he's a near on certainty to be in next year's Vic Country squad.

How has he been tracking? I know after picking RT this type becomes much less of a need but how do you view his potential.

His brother is has been studying in Adelaide the last couple years and seems very settled. I would have no doubt Josh would be open to the idea of being drafted to Adelaide.

If we end up with a top 5 pick next year i would guess that if we really wanted horne we could package that and a 2022 1st to switch with a club above us..assuming that other kids also project highly for that club to be happy to drop to our pick

If we end up with a top 5 pick next year i would guess that if we really wanted horne we could package that and a 2022 1st to switch with a club above us..assuming that other kids also project highly for that club to be happy to drop to our pick
Ideally we have a full year of footy next year and Horne drops down a few places in the pecking order.

Mind you a SA kid at Pick 1 would be ok, if potentially there are a group of several elite Vic kids in 2022 that are in the top 5. It would help us a lot to be able to convince the Roos and Dons to give up their 2021 1st for our 2021 1st and 2022 1st.

They too would be well aware of the perils of trying to hold an interstate kid compared to a Victorian kid.

It's so stupid.
I would have thought given we got Hately (a middle 1st rounder from superdraft) and the Dees 2021 2nd, we deserved higher. Thats not even counting our rookies either.

This is an A effort from us.

Maybe one or two things we could have done better, but nothing that should deter from the fact that, I thought this is our most successful draft.

Club ratings are a wasted exercise .....they're judging clubs on phantom draft rankings & media popularity of players

Each club rates players differently, but the media puts these ratings out, assuming clubs have selected players purely on best available ....yet in the majority of selections they're list need based

No-one knows which club has done well for another 4 years

Club ratings are a wasted exercise .....they're judging clubs on phantom draft rankings & media popularity of players

Each club rates players differently, but the media puts these ratings out, assuming clubs have selected players purely on best available ....yet in the majority of selections they're list need based

No-one knows which club has done well for another 4 years
True.

I could argue the Dogs did well, ie an A effort.

Played finals and got the best player in the draft at the time in 2020.

How this pans out in years to come remains to be seen. Although player trajectories appear to be getting a lot better in terms of accuracy. Not sure if the last few years is an example or an outlier.

Getting Hately was a big win for us. If we could add one of Rankine or Luko to that, that would be awesome. (ideally both, but I dont see that happening).

True.

I could argue the Dogs did well, ie an A effort.

Played finals and got the best player in the draft at the time in 2020.

How this pans out in years to come remains to be seen. Although player trajectories appear to be getting a lot better in terms of accuracy. Not sure if the last few years is an example or an outlier.

Getting Hately was a big win for us. If we could add one of Rankine or Luko to that, that would be awesome. (ideally both, but I dont see that happening).
Rankine would absolutely fill a list need ....that creative & classy mid that could compliment the inside bulls we've drafted

But hard to see him coming to us

Back