Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Just really happy to see him get picked up, we thought he would go last year - but the academy system really screwed him around last year. Playing Lions u18s, then Allies, then NEAFL, then QAFL - hard to get into a groove, especially as a ruck when every week you have different mids to play with.

This year with cancellation of NEAFL, the QAFL was chock full of all the best talent young and old and he was one of several very good ruckmen, probably only beaten once by Fraser Thurlow who is mid 20's, previously AFL listed and many good judges think Essendon let him go too early.

Samson is excellent below his knees and has very good skills for a big man, his tap work has always been his strength, can go with either hand and jump off either foot and tap it 360*. The biggest step he took this year was sitting in the hole in defence and down the line as an exit option, took heaps of contested marks, some of them in huge moments. Really elevated his game, which was great to see and I feel it was as a result of settling into a single environment instead of bouncing around clubs every week like the academy kids are forced to do.

Not declaring him a star, but I was confident he would be picked up and I knew we had Collingwood and Richmond scouts at some games this year, and in one of them he was best on by such a margin I was sure after that day he would go in the main draft, not rookie. Has a 196cm teammate 2 years younger I thought as unlucky not to go as well.

I reckon he is still growing too, he was around 200cm about 12-18 months ago. He grew at least 2 inches in the last 12 months and started to fill out.
Thanks for your input on this! Sounds like you’ve followed his progress for a couple of years now. I’m happy for him and hopefully he plays a major role for us down the track!

CCJ? and other part timers

I think some are underrating Nank. He gets injured we bring in a replacement,yeah right

I think some are underestimating how good Dusty can be at 37 to.

I think some are underrating some on our list. Some seem to think 3-4 years at the most more and our window closing. I think some are selling Dusty and Co short
I also think people are underrating CCJ. He has the tools to be our no.1 ruckman, but of course we haven't seen him for a year so it is hard to tell where he is at. He can't have gone backwards, is much bigger than when he last played as a 19yr old, and will have two more preseasons under his belt learning ruck craft of Maric and the other rucks, so if he isn't ready now he never will be.

Don’t think we pick this guy if Soldo hadn’t done his knee.

Like Soldo we’ll mould him into a ruckman that may not necessarily be A grade but can play the role.

This pick for Leppa 😂
I think Soldo is pretty limited and really only got a full time gig because Nank was injured. We are a much better side with Nank in.

Odds on that Sampson will be better than Soldo. Sampson's major strength apparently is his tapwork, as is Soldo's, but he looks pretty mobile, is taller, better below the knees (not difficult) and looks like he is a good mark, which Soldo isn't. So he has plenty to work with.

Either way he will be fighting for CCJ's spot because in a years time when Soldo is back, CCJ should in theory be cemented as our second ruck. Sampson is still a year or two away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears the information around him being 203cm come from when he first nominated for the draft so he very well could now be 206cm.

I believe what happened is Collingwood initially offered him a back-heighted contract guaranteeing he will grow taller over the next 5 years. When they realised he would end up being too tall for their list Bucks told him no one liked him and they let him slide to our pick.
Collingwood had promised to provide us the extra 3 cm each year for 5 years but have now gone back on the deal, hence just 203 cm.

Last edited:
I think Soldo is pretty limited and really only got a full time gig because Nank was injured. We are a much better side with Nank in.

Odds on that Sampson will be better than Soldo. Sampson's major strength apparently is his tapwork, as is Soldo's, but he looks pretty mobile, is taller, better below the knees (not difficult) and looks like he is a good mark, which Soldo isn't. So he has plenty to work with.

Either way he will be fighting for CCJ's spot because in a years time when Soldo is back, CCJ should in theory be cemented as our second ruck. Sampson is still a year or two away.

I reckon Soldo was brilliant. Really added to our team. With Nank was an amazing ruck combo. Allowed us to dominate contests and control the game.

**** here we go again.
Dow is NOT a defender, has never been a defender and won't be a defender.
RCD is NOT a defender, has never been a defender and won't be a defender.

We all saw what happened when Ross was made to lose weight and run off half back. It was a disaster and it won't be happening again.

We didn't choose 18yo untried B grade mids in this draft (despite your protestations) because we have a traffic jam of mids waiting in the wings and frankly they are better than the kids in this draft once we got past Fin McCrae.

We didn't pick Callow (overweight and slow) or Baldwin (2 ACLs) for the same reasons nobody else chose them. Anyone who thinks either if these kids is a Jack Reiwoldt replacement has rocks in their head.

After three flags in four years you'd think we'd trust the club instead of losing our marbles over a bunch of bog average kids (Jack Carroll went at number 40 ffs and Carlton are welcome to him) in the worst draft in history.

But wait, on YouTube they looked like guns. Are you telling me a 3 minute highlight clip doesn’t reflect a players actual talent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon Soldo was brilliant. Really added to our team. With Nank was an amazing ruck combo. Allowed us to dominate contests and control the game.
Brilliant! He was serviceable to good. He rucked well, took the occasional mark, tackled okay for a big bloke, but compared to Nankervis who was epic in some of our finals games, top tackler on the ground in one, game saving marks in another.

Sampson comes with big wraps, our recruiting team obviously think he has a high ceiling because pick 40 says so. He looks very athletic and mobile and can mark a ball and his ruck-craft looks pretty good for someone so young against men.

Credit to Soldo for what he has done for himself and the team, but it won't take much for either CCJ or Sampson to overtake him. CCJ in particular will be very exciting to watch this year I reckon.

Extract from the herald sun from a recruiter.

Massive ruckman Samson Ryan is 208cm and could play pretty soon I think, even though he was more a rookie player taken in the national draft. It fits with Ivan Soldo coming back from an ACL.
208? I'm reading 206. Which is great height for a ruck. In the bit of the QAFL game I saw, Ryan towered over his oppo ruck.

I also think people are underrating CCJ. He has the tools to be our no.1 ruckman, but of course we haven't seen him for a year so it is hard to tell where he is at. He can't have gone backwards, is much bigger than when he last played as a 19yr old, and will have two more preseasons under his belt learning ruck craft of Maric and the other rucks, so if he isn't ready now he never will be.
Well loading up on rucks in the draft & Chol, CJ still around, I'm thinking we may be playing 2 rucks in the 22. and/or 3 KPFs in 2021

If hes good enough for our recruiters to take the punt then i'll welcome him with open arms. They get more right than wrong these days and at pick #40 with the depth we have, already a couple of years older than the other kids im excited to see how Samson goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back