Game Day AFC DRAFT DAY THREAD

How many additional 2021 picks will we end up with from draft day trades?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what would happen if we didnt pick him?
We would have copped a massive fine from the AFL, and possibly incurred other penalties (i.e. losing draft picks), for breaching the 2020 salary cap.

By re-drafting him in the RD, we are able to include the final year of his salary in the 2021 salary cap, with $80K outside of the salary cap. If we didn't re-draft him, we would have needed to include his 2021 salary in our 2020 salary cap, which would have put us well over the limit.

Last edited:
Rankine would absolutely fill a list need ....that creative & classy mid that could compliment the inside bulls we've drafted

But hard to see him coming to us
Thoughts and opinions change.

I mean this time, last year, we were all be none the wiser in terms of what this virus would do to the world and the effect it would have on the landscape.

If we can create a positive environment at the AFC both on and off the field and show an upward trajectory, at the right price, Rankine may leave.

Our cleanout needs multiple phases, I think Phase One, has been successful. We are on the right path. Just remember where this Club was at 14-16 months ago compared to today.

Thoughts and opinions change.

I mean this time, last year, we were all be none the wiser in terms of what this virus would do to the world and the effect it would have on the landscape.

If we can create a positive environment at the AFC both on and off the field and show an upward trajectory, at the right price, Rankine may leave.

Our cleanout needs multiple phases, I think Phase One, has been successful. We are on the right path. Just remember where this Club was at 14-16 months ago compared to today.
I met his brother at a function late last year and as you do you fire off a few questions and the only thing ge would say was that izak is a massive crows fan. It would be absolutely superb if we could somehow coax him back when his contract is up..by then i suspect we will have a great young up and coming side with a very different club culture. Oh and a head coach that to date has not put too many feet wrong either

What will the cost be for Rankine, though? Will we have the currency?
I think once we clear off our books players like Tex, Sloane, Gibbs and Talia, we will have cap space.

In terms of costing us, I expect the Suns to ask for two or three 1sts. All jokes aside.

Sad but true if we are going all in to max this rebuild, as much as we will deny it reckon was rubber stamped when we drafted both Pedlar and Berry.

You would think any plans to get another high end 1st would involve trading a player like Mrouch as "part" of the deal IMO.

Imo..he would be worth it if he can keep his body right
Yes. Its another case, where you want to see his trajectory over the next two years.

Was definitely at one stage a Rising Star winner after a few games, but he got drunk from his own bathwater, much like our Alberton neighbours.

Lever would have stayed if we paid what he thought he was worth.
Maybe, but he thought we should pay him more than he was worth, which was an open question at the time but is looking correct now.

I think once we clear off our books players like Tex, Sloane, Gibbs and Talia, we will have cap space.

In terms of costing us, I expect the Suns to ask for two or three 1sts. All jokes aside.
If we finish below them, then we're above them in the PSD, and it will discount that price, more so the closer we finish to the bottom of the ladder. Unlikely we ever get him free as we did for Hately, unless we finish bottom again.

So you’re saying that when Gibbs officially leaves, we won’t be filling his spot with someone who was in the draft and missed out?
The difference is that we'll have a chance to have a look at them before we select them, allowing us to make an informed decision on which player to select. Currently, we have very little current information on most of the Victorian players, because they simply didn't play any football this year. That made them a high risk prospect in the RD.

We have the opportunity to have them train with us, allowing us to select them in the pre-season supplementary period. Alternatively, we can wait to see how they perform in 2021, selecting them in the mid-season draft. Either way, we'll have a lot more current information to go on, significantly reducing the risk of picking a dud.

I think it's highly unlikely that the player we select will be from SA. We've seen what they had to offer, and the eyes have been picked out of the 2020 SA draft class, with nobody worth drafting left on the board. Victoria is where it's at.

M Crouch is here for the long run. He's our midfield leader for the next generation. His back half of the year was much improved.

I think Laird is more likely than Matt to leave. I could see him getting a few decent offers from clubs pushing for a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought given we got Hately (a middle 1st rounder from superdraft) and the Dees 2021 2nd, we deserved higher. Thats not even counting our rookies either.

This is an A effort from us.

Maybe one or two things we could have done better, but nothing that should deter from the fact that, I thought this is our most successful draft.

You can say clubs did well on trades and pick trades. But you can't judge clubs' picks until around the 4 year mark. As WW said, he's basing it off phantom draft ratings that were largely wrong and unlikely to be very accurate of what eventuates in the long term. It's just a dumb exercise.

M Crouch is here for the long run. He's our midfield leader for the next generation. His back half of the year was much improved.

Depends. Does he have his spot written in stone. As in Campo mentality, you try telling him he’s not playing.

Because otherwise, he isn’t a dead certainty imo. I’m hoping that we have at least 4 or 5 young players that will push past Matt in the next few seasons. If he is still a first string midfielder by the end of 2022 then our rebuild has failed imo.

I would have thought given we got Hately (a middle 1st rounder from superdraft) and the Dees 2021 2nd, we deserved higher. Thats not even counting our rookies either.

This is an A effort from us.

Maybe one or two things we could have done better, but nothing that should deter from the fact that, I thought this is our most successful draft.
I agree, the only thing that we really did wrong was the Brouch screw up, but we turned that into Sam Berry instead of Hollands, so I guess we wait and see how both those kids go.

I agree, the only thing that we really did wrong was the Brouch screw up, but we turned that into Sam Berry instead of Hollands, so I guess we wait and see how both those kids go.

Do you think we would have gone for Hollands? I don’t. Pre-draft he was the one I was hoping for, but the fact that he slid to the Gold Coast tells me I was wrong.

My guess is we missed out on DGB, which is quite painful 😂.. I like your idea better, thinking we missed out on Hollands. I feel like that will be a lot less painful over the years.

In fact I was perfectly fine this until I read your post and now I’m gutted at the thought of missing DGB with the crouch pick 😂😂😂.

We would have copped a massive fine from the AFL, and possibly incurred other penalties (i.e. losing draft picks), for breaching the 2020 salary cap.

By re-drafting him in the RD, we are able to include the final year of his salary in the 2021 salary cap, with $80K outside of the salary cap. If we didn't re-draft him, we would have needed to include his 2021 salary in our 2020 salary cap, which would have put us well over the limit.
I'm not saying we would have done it, BUT ...

If you exceed the salary cap, your fine is 37.5% of the excess.

If the Gibbs payout put us $100k over, then we'd get a rookie pick for the princely sum of $37k.

Now, it may have put us more over, and we may also decide that a rookie pick isn't worth the fine.

But it is an interesting question about when you WOULD deliberately go over the cap ...

Sad but true if we are going all in to max this rebuild, as much as we will deny it reckon was rubber stamped when we drafted both Pedlar and Berry.
This is the Matt Crouch who is wanting to extend his contract, and has been making trips to be the person player to meet our number one pick?

I think Laird, if his currency is high, is the only one we'd consider.

Depends. Does he have his spot written in stone. As in Campo mentality, you try telling him he’s not playing.

Because otherwise, he isn’t a dead certainty imo. I’m hoping that we have at least 4 or 5 young players that will push past Matt in the next few seasons. If he is still a first string midfielder by the end of 2022 then our rebuild has failed imo.
He's an All Australian level midfielder and B&F winner in a grand final year. We should be able to find a spot for him in our 22.

I'm not saying we would have done it, BUT ...

If you exceed the salary cap, your fine is 37.5% of the excess.

If the Gibbs payout put us $100k over, then we'd get a rookie pick for the princely sum of $37k.

Now, it may have put us more over, and we may also decide that a rookie pick isn't worth the fine.

But it is an interesting question about when you WOULD deliberately go over the cap ...
I think you'll find the Gibbs payout would be considerably more than $100K. My guesstimate would be $500K, and that's probably on the low side.

If we're going over the cap by $500K, then the AFL is likely to be doing more than just fining us.

Right now is not a great time to be copping a $175K fine, given that the club's finances are probably fairly shaky, as a result of lost income due to COVID.

Going over the cap, just to make a rookie pick, really doesn't make any sense whatsoever in this context anyway, given that we can replace Gibbs with a rookie as soon as he goes on the inactive list. Essentially, we'd be copping a $175K fine, and risking the loss of draft picks, for no gain whatsoever. You can't even argue that the players in the RD represent better options than those in the pre-season supplementary period, due to the unique circumstances of 2020.

He's an All Australian level midfielder and B&F winner in a grand final year. We should be able to find a spot for him in our 22.

If only you could win a flag off a nice CV. He is a good player, but he’s not a great player. We need to add speed. We can afford to sacrifice some speed to win the ball, so a player like Matt has a place. But we have now recruited a number of players for that role. By my reckoning, there isn’t space in our team for all of them (without becoming too slow).

Hopefully we have recruited enough players that are all better and more damaging that Matt. Otherwise, we aren’t competing for a flag anytime soon.

How has he been tracking? I know after picking RT this type becomes much less of a need but how do you view his potential.

His brother is has been studying in Adelaide the last couple years and seems very settled. I would have no doubt Josh would be open to the idea of being drafted to Adelaide.
Very raw but very athletic, of course the fact he never got to play this year isn't great for his development especially being a tall lad but he's shown me enough the few times I've seen him to suggest he's one to seriously keep an eye on especially in the "talls" category. Reckon he's nearly a lock for the Vic Country squad at the 2021 Nationals and I'll certainly be tracking his Rebels NAB League footy and school footy as I believe he's been going to boarding school in Ballarat this year.

Do you think we would have gone for Hollands? I don’t. Pre-draft he was the one I was hoping for, but the fact that he slid to the Gold Coast tells me I was wrong.

My guess is we missed out on DGB, which is quite painful 😂.. I like your idea better, thinking we missed out on Hollands. I feel like that will be a lot less painful over the years.

In fact I was perfectly fine this until I read your post and now I’m gutted at the thought of missing DGB with the crouch pick 😂😂😂.
I feel we would've go tall and small not 2 tall's, not with the midfield need we have. Hawks went DGB because they have a massive hole in defensive tall's. The odd one was North. I defiantly think we would've gone RT and Hollands.

Very raw but very athletic, of course the fact he never got to play this year isn't great for his development especially being a tall lad but he's shown me enough the few times I've seen him to suggest he's one to seriously keep an eye on especially in the "talls" category. Reckon he's nearly a lock for the Vic Country squad at the 2021 Nationals and I'll certainly be tracking his Rebels NAB League footy and school footy as I believe he's been going to boarding school in Ballarat this year.
Mutineer, what sort of player do you see Pedlar like should he stay injury free and develop as we hope

Back