Potential best 22 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt there are holes in the team/list. A lot of it depends on the draft now. If Taylor can have a similar yield to Jackson, Pickett, Rivers (or better yet Port 2018 with Rozee, Duursma & Butters) it could make a hell of a difference. With reference to the backline; Hore can play small and Tomlinson is more a rebounder than genuine key but I’m not really interested in debating the merits of fringe player A over fringe player B.

It’s not ridiculous to deduce that the best part of 1.5 million shekels will be paid to the likes of T Mac, ANB & AVB to play the majority of the 2021 season in the NEAWTFFL league for Casey. That money could've been spent on the likes of J Higgins, Phillips & Witherden lining up in the best side each week. Our depth really worries me...
I would trade about five years of first rounders for Butters. If JT can find us a player like that this year we’ll be blessed.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
FB: Lockhart May Lever
HB: Rivers Tomlinson Hibberd
C: Langdon Oliver Salem
HF: Pickett Weideman Fritsch
FF: Bedford Brown Jackson
FOLL: Gawn Petracca Harmes
I/C: Viney Brayshaw Vandenberg Hore

I've tried to pick the best balanced side I could from the current list, not the best 22 players (Which is something I think Goody has had a problem with for years now). We are awfully short on forwards, sure Hannan was inconsistent but we didn't have many players like him. Melksham misses the cut for me at this stage as whilst I thought he had a strong 2019 despite injuries and playing in a s**t side his 2020 was shithouse and he has to prove himself in preseason to work his way back into the side. Don't think Fritsch and Melksham can play in the same side either as they give us nothing without the ball and Fritsch despite his very frustrating accuracy was better than Melksham this year.

Back 6 honestly looks pretty set and IMO is by far our strongest third, I've moved Salem out (Again this probably won't happen in reality) as Rivers is good enough to be playing every game next year and should improve rapidly. Petty it seems is the depth option as a KPD here (And potentially TMac), in terms of smalls we will still have Nev on the list and I'd love him to work his way back into the side but I think he is cooked.

Everyone will laugh at me having Harmes start on the ball but IMO Oliver/Petracca and one of Brayshaw/Viney doesn't work as a centre square combo against good sides, they all hunt the ball and at least Harmes offers a negating option and also can link up around the ground. The wings are pretty self explanatory, one of them is an excellent two way runner with crap disposal and the other offers good disposal with less two way running. Surely Salem can just sit there and get 15-18 disposals a week (Most of them kicks) and give us some quality ball use in the front half of the ground. Sparrow is my first pick for inside depth for the guys who aren't in this side but safe to say whilst he looks pretty good he'd need two of Oliver/Petracca/Brayshaw/Viney to be injured/suspended to get any meaningful time there. Wish we traded Brayshaw, don't think any other club in the competition has such a stupid amount of one type of player as we do.

Bench has two obvious mids, a HBF and vanders who probably has one year to get it right or he is gone. Geez our depth is s**t. The fact that guys like ANB/Hunt/Spargo will play a decent chunk of 2021 shows whilst I'd like to think we could do very well in what may be a weak year it just isn't going to happen. We normally blood at least one guy each year in round 1 so I'd expect one of the draftees from this year to get a run but obviously no idea who it'll be so no point saying one plays.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne

I've tried to pick the best balanced side I could from the current list, not the best 22 players (Which is something I think Goody has had a problem with for years now). We are awfully short on forwards, sure Hannan was inconsistent but we didn't have many players like him. Melksham misses the cut for me at this stage as whilst I thought he had a strong 2019 despite injuries and playing in a sh*t side his 2020 was shithouse and he has to prove himself in preseason to work his way back into the side. Don't think Fritsch and Melksham can play in the same side either as they give us nothing without the ball and Fritsch despite his very frustrating accuracy was better than Melksham this year.

Back 6 honestly looks pretty set and IMO is by far our strongest third, I've moved Salem out (Again this probably won't happen in reality) as Rivers is good enough to be playing every game next year and should improve rapidly. Petty it seems is the depth option as a KPD here (And potentially TMac), in terms of smalls we will still have Nev on the list and I'd love him to work his way back into the side but I think he is cooked.

Everyone will laugh at me having Harmes start on the ball but IMO Oliver/Petracca and one of Brayshaw/Viney doesn't work as a centre square combo against good sides, they all hunt the ball and at least Harmes offers a negating option and also can link up around the ground. The wings are pretty self explanatory, one of them is an excellent two way runner with crap disposal and the other offers good disposal with less two way running. Surely Salem can just sit there and get 15-18 disposals a week (Most of them kicks) and give us some quality ball use in the front half of the ground. Sparrow is my first pick for inside depth for the guys who aren't in this side but safe to say whilst he looks pretty good he'd need two of Oliver/Petracca/Brayshaw/Viney to be injured/suspended to get any meaningful time there. Wish we traded Brayshaw, don't think any other club in the competition has such a stupid amount of one type of player as we do.

Bench has two obvious mids, a HBF and vanders who probably has one year to get it right or he is gone. Geez our depth is sh*t. The fact that guys like ANB/Hunt/Spargo will play a decent chunk of 2021 shows whilst I'd like to think we could do very well in what may be a weak year it just isn't going to happen. We normally blood at least one guy each year in round 1 so I'd expect one of the draftees from this year to get a run but obviously no idea who it'll be so no point saying one plays.

Love the backline. I'd have Hunt over Bedford

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I've tried to pick the best balanced side I could from the current list, not the best 22 players (Which is something I think Goody has had a problem with for years now). We are awfully short on forwards, sure Hannan was inconsistent but we didn't have many players like him. Melksham misses the cut for me at this stage as whilst I thought he had a strong 2019 despite injuries and playing in a sh*t side his 2020 was shithouse and he has to prove himself in preseason to work his way back into the side. Don't think Fritsch and Melksham can play in the same side either as they give us nothing without the ball and Fritsch despite his very frustrating accuracy was better than Melksham this year.

Bench has two obvious mids, a HBF and vanders who probably has one year to get it right or he is gone. Geez our depth is sh*t. The fact that guys like ANB/Hunt/Spargo will play a decent chunk of 2021 shows whilst I'd like to think we could do very well in what may be a weak year it just isn't going to happen. We normally blood at least one guy each year in round 1 so I'd expect one of the draftees from this year to get a run but obviously no idea who it'll be so no point saying one plays.

I like this, but I'd have Spargo instead of Bedford, Spargo has shown more and is a bit under rated, does enough nice things like making passes and not bombing the ball

I'd also prefer Hunt over Vanders, because I think vanders like Jetta is just about done unless he gets a second wind this pre-season. Hunt for whatever reason tends to find a way to kick goals off very limited output, so the coaches must find a way to improve that area of his game

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Love the backline. I'd have Hunt over Bedford

I like this, but I'd have Spargo instead of Bedford, Spargo has shown more and is a bit under rated, does enough nice things like making passes and not bombing the ball

I'd also prefer Hunt over Vanders, because I think vanders like Jetta is just about done unless he gets a second wind this pre-season. Hunt for whatever reason tends to find a way to kick goals off very limited output, so the coaches must find a way to improve that area of his game

I think there’s definitely an argument for Hunt over Vanders on the bench, my problem with Hunt is whilst he regularly hits the scoreboard up forward his pressure is really bad. Guy is lightning quick but lacks agility and has never put on that pressure for us up front.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
There's a very strong argument for Hunt over Vanders because one kicks goals and the other doesn't.
Hunt's main problem both offensively and defensively is he doesn't read the play well. As shortcomings go, that's one of the few that AFL players can actually overcome over time.

On the other hand, he seems to be an extremely weird individual, which almost nobody ever overcomes. So who knows what he will do.

There's a very strong argument for Hunt over Vanders because one kicks goals and the other doesn't.
Hunt's main problem both offensively and defensively is he doesn't read the play well. As shortcomings go, that's one of the few that AFL players can actually overcome over time.

On the other hand, he seems to be an extremely weird individual, which almost nobody ever overcomes. So who knows what he will do.
We need more weird units in the side!
I think Hunt has shown a bit of improvement in his reading of the play up forward over the past two years. Not great yet, but getting smarter with his leads and runs. Set shots have become fairly reliable too and for a bloke who isn't a natural corner can pull out the odd arsey goal from roving a pack.
Does need to do more defensively though, gets a bit lost in transition too often.
Vanders I sadly think is cooked, bar a Jetta style renaissance. He's depth at this stage imo.
I'd probably also put Spargo in Bedford's spot, but would like to see Bedford given a few more chances and an extended run in the 1s. 2 games twelve weeks apart doesn't help him settle or build consistency at the top level.

HB17

Debutant
Aug 17, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well now that the draft is over we can start doing our best 22s filled with first round draft picks..

A preliminary look at mine would be something like

FB: Hibberd May Lockhart
HB: Lever Tomlinson Rivers
HF: Melksham Weideman Jackson
FF: Fritsch Brown Pickett
R: Gawn Petracca Viney
Int: Brayshaw Spargo Hore Harmes

Fringe: Laurie, Bowey, McDonald, Petty, Sparrow, Hunt, Vandenberg, Baker, Neal-Bullen, Jetta

Lockhart: Could just as easily see Salem move back to defence if a Bowey or Baker step up to the wing spot.

Tomlinson: Far from a lock in the backline and will face stiff competition from McDonald and Petty this pre-season, or Hore if we decide to play a bit smaller.

Melksham and Spargo: Have gone with the more experienced, but Hunt, Bowey or Laurie could jump ahead of them both with strong pre-seasons.

Hore: Have gone with Hore with his ability to play on both smalls and talls, as well as nice ball-use out of defence.

Harmes: If we can figure out how to fit him in playing mid and rotating forward again then he should be a lock.

gawndog37

Senior List
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
After our list is pretty much finalised this is what my 22 looks like:

B: Hibberd, May, Lever
HB: Rivers, McDonald, Bowey
C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Salem
HF: Fritsch, Weideman, Petracca
F: Pickett, B.Brown, Viney
R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
I: Jackson, Melksham, Laurie, Tomlinson
Fringe: Hunt, Sparrow, Spargo, Hore, Petty, Jetta

Hibberd: will take the best small forward but still looking to rebound from defence

McDonald: I have him going back to form a nice trio with May, Lever. All three are good defensively (may the best obviously) but all are great intercept marks

Bowey: I'd like to his elite kicking behind the ball where he will cut up the opposition. Caleb Daniel clone but he's taller and has a big vertical, I think he will be fine defensively which is courageous and tough but obviously will be an offensive half back flank.

Tomlinson: I have him as the 7th defender coming off the bench to just play a role on tall, medium, or even small forward. I like his ball use behind the ball which he will provide decent rebound off half back as well.

Salem: I seem him as the perfect fit on the opposite wing to Langdon because both bring very different attributes. His kicking placement and footy IQ should seem him go to another level on a wing.

Harmes: Back to a tagging role in the midfield. he'll take out the best mid every week and get 20-25 touches himself and maybe a goal, very, very underrated cog of our midfield when it was at its best.

Brayshaw: back to inside midfield. very smart in knowing where to position himself around stoppages for handball receives where Oliver/Petracca/Viney can feed it to him. Will chop out on a wing when Salem and Langdon need a break.

Petracca: I have him playing 50/50 forward midfield. I still think we miss his goals forward when he's in the midfield as he showed in the Saints game. I'd like to see his splits between forward and midfield similar to dusty.

Viney: I have him playing 75/25 forward midfield. I have him playing as a pressure forward partly out of necessity to fit everyone into the midfield but I think he has some really good traits as a small forward. Relentless tackler, wins just about every 1v1, and underrated finisher around goal I think he will really help inside 50 retention which has been a problem for us.

Jackson: I have him playing 50/50 forward midfield (25% ruck, 25% inside midfield). I'd like him to see get some on-ball minutes where he has the mobility and ground level ability to match it with the best midfielders and opposition teams won't know what to do about his marking around the ground when in the midfield.

Melksham: I want to see him do a defensive job on the best defender every week like he nullified McGovern against West Coast in round 22, 2018. his inside 50 kicking is still there he's just gotta get those other areas of his game back.

Laurie: Very excited about this kid, he might not kick many goals but he will set up a ton. Will significantly improve inside 50 efficiency and inside 50 retention with his tackling.

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watched MFC Member Forum Q&A today and Goodwin saying TMac seen as a forward or wing. Maybe so but hopefully Goodwin doesn’t rule TMac out as a back if needed and it’s the best thing for our 22 and team structure. If Goodwin is just being stubborn and refuses to consider TMac down back in 2021 will Goodwin’s narrow mind hold us back in 2021 in other areas?

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
After our list is pretty much finalised this is what my 22 looks like:

B: Hibberd, May, Lever
HB: Rivers, McDonald, Bowey
C: Langdon, Brayshaw, Salem
HF: Fritsch, Weideman, Petracca
F: Pickett, B.Brown, Viney
R: Gawn, Oliver, Harmes
I: Jackson, Melksham, Laurie, Tomlinson
Fringe: Hunt, Sparrow, Spargo, Hore, Petty, Jetta

Hibberd: will take the best small forward but still looking to rebound from defence

McDonald: I have him going back to form a nice trio with May, Lever. All three are good defensively (may the best obviously) but all are great intercept marks

Bowey: I'd like to his elite kicking behind the ball where he will cut up the opposition. Caleb Daniel clone but he's taller and has a big vertical, I think he will be fine defensively which is courageous and tough but obviously will be an offensive half back flank.

Tomlinson: I have him as the 7th defender coming off the bench to just play a role on tall, medium, or even small forward. I like his ball use behind the ball which he will provide decent rebound off half back as well.

Salem: I seem him as the perfect fit on the opposite wing to Langdon because both bring very different attributes. His kicking placement and footy IQ should seem him go to another level on a wing.

Harmes: Back to a tagging role in the midfield. he'll take out the best mid every week and get 20-25 touches himself and maybe a goal, very, very underrated cog of our midfield when it was at its best.

Brayshaw: back to inside midfield. very smart in knowing where to position himself around stoppages for handball receives where Oliver/Petracca/Viney can feed it to him. Will chop out on a wing when Salem and Langdon need a break.

Petracca: I have him playing 50/50 forward midfield. I still think we miss his goals forward when he's in the midfield as he showed in the Saints game. I'd like to see his splits between forward and midfield similar to dusty.

Viney: I have him playing 75/25 forward midfield. I have him playing as a pressure forward partly out of necessity to fit everyone into the midfield but I think he has some really good traits as a small forward. Relentless tackler, wins just about every 1v1, and underrated finisher around goal I think he will really help inside 50 retention which has been a problem for us.

Jackson: I have him playing 50/50 forward midfield (25% ruck, 25% inside midfield). I'd like him to see get some on-ball minutes where he has the mobility and ground level ability to match it with the best midfielders and opposition teams won't know what to do about his marking around the ground when in the midfield.

Melksham: I want to see him do a defensive job on the best defender every week like he nullified McGovern against West Coast in round 22, 2018. his inside 50 kicking is still there he's just gotta get those other areas of his game back.

Laurie: Very excited about this kid, he might not kick many goals but he will set up a ton. Will significantly improve inside 50 efficiency and inside 50 retention with his tackling.
I absolutely love this line up and wouldn't change a thing. Well, possibly I'd find a place for Lockhart in at least the fringe players if not the 22. Completely agree with your player write ups including, possibly especially, your more controversial ones. Viney as a forward provides the forward pressure we lack while overcoming the surplus of similar mids we have. TMac in defense is a must as he adds the experience and skills needed to finalise what is a great and well balanced back 6. Will Goodwin see the light and play him there though? That's the question which may define Melbourne's season and Goodwin's future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would you draft a player who can kick and then stick him in the backline to 'cut them up'
How are you cutting up a team from the backline?
The very least of our problems is kicking from the backline.
Yeah we have plenty of good kicking options in the back half, May, Hibberd, Salem, Rivers, Tomlinson. Not all gonna hit 50m lasers, but pretty solid users and aggressive when needed.

Stick Bowey/Laurie on a HFF. Should give us some more pep than a lumbering Vanders/Jones.

Viney up forward I think would be handy. Showed some decent smarts there last season which could be built on. That or he withers away there for 10 useless touches each week.

FB: Hibberd May McDonald
HB: Salem Lever Rivers
C: Langdon Viney Tomlinson
HF: Fritsch Weideman Petracca
FF: Spargo B Brown Pickett

R: Gawn Oliver Brayshaw

I/C: Harmes Jackson Lockhart Hunt/Laurie/Bowey/Melksham

It’s a good side tbh.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well now that the draft is over we can start doing our best 22s filled with first round draft picks..

Fringe: Laurie, Bowey, McDonald, Petty, Sparrow, Hunt, Vandenberg, Baker, Neal-Bullen, Jetta

I can't really fault this. My only change would be Hunt for Spargo.

Lockhart: Could just as easily see Salem move back to defence if a Bowey or Baker step up to the wing spot.

Tomlinson: Far from a lock in the backline and will face stiff competition from McDonald and Petty this pre-season, or Hore if we decide to play a bit smaller.

Melksham and Spargo: Have gone with the more experienced, but Hunt, Bowey or Laurie could jump ahead of them both with strong pre-seasons.

Hore: Have gone with Hore with his ability to play on both smalls and talls, as well as nice ball-use out of defence.

Harmes: If we can figure out how to fit him in playing mid and rotating forward again then he should be a lock.

Like it, forward line looks too slow to me tho. Swap Jackson to the bench .

FB: Hibberd May McDonald
HB: Salem Lever Rivers
C: Langdon Viney Tomlinson
HF: Fritsch Weideman Petracca
FF: Spargo B Brown Pickett

R: Gawn Oliver Brayshaw

I/C: Harmes Jackson Lockhart Hunt/Laurie/Bowey/Melksham

It’s a good side tbh.

McDonald named in best 22 in defense...why?

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why would you draft a player who can kick and then stick him in the backline to 'cut them up'
How are you cutting up a team from the backline?
The very least of our problems is kicking from the backline.
Yep. We have enough competent kicks in the back half. We need the better kicks forward of centre..

Take two:
FB: Lever May Lockhart
HF: Bowey Weideman Petracca
FF: Pickett Brown Fritsch

R: Gawn Brayshaw Harmes

I/C: Jackson Laurie Viney Hore
Key depth: McDonald Sparrow Spargo Baker Smith Melksham
This is a great side. Best depth we've had in years. Only one I was 50/50 on was Laurie or Melksham, Melksham better have the pre season of his life because Laurie is class and will be knocking the door down to play. I chose Laurie because I think that off Melkshams 2020 form, Laurie will be better or similar but with the added bonus of extra development. Also great depth across each line. Key back there's Smith, Key Forward/ruck/utility in McDonald. On ball Sparrow and hopefully Jordan. Wing there's Baker, Spargo small forward. Half forward Melksham/Laurie. Hopefully no more Vanders and ANB and Jones getting consistent games.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Take two:

This is a great side. Best depth we've had in years. Only one I was 50/50 on was Laurie or Melksham, Melksham better have the pre season of his life because Laurie is class and will be knocking the door down to play. I chose Laurie because I think that off Melkshams 2020 form, Laurie will be better or similar but with the added bonus of extra development. Also great depth across each line. Key back there's Smith, Key Forward/ruck/utility in McDonald. On ball Sparrow and hopefully Jordan. Wing there's Baker, Spargo small forward. Half forward Melksham/Laurie. Hopefully no more Vanders and ANB and Jones getting consistent games.

Love this team. Bit sad everyone on here can see Harmes plays as a tagger or not at all yet the coaches can't.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Take two:

Not sure Hore plays but beyond that think you're on the mark

Love this team. Bit sad everyone on here can see Harmes plays as a tagger or not at all yet the coaches can't.
Looking at Harmes, his two most obvious strengths, the reason he is playing Afl is his explosiveness around the contest and his defensive ability at stoppages. He can't use either if he plays at half back, he can only use his explosiveness as a half forward sometimes. So play him in a position that utilizes his strengths. Like 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back