Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as we might criticize Burgess, the thing that he brought was a sound program and a scientific approach. His method of training may have not worked but to think that he doesn't or the team he left behind haven't got the resources to self reflect and correct.

Minimizing injuries, tracking training loads and periodizing is an art that is developed through the self reflective process. And conditioning coaches are not personal trainers. They are as sought after as sport scientists. Our old fitness guys Russell was a conditioning coach while Burgess is more of a sport scientist. In the US there are plenty of conditioning coaches that have turned teams around and gelled well with the coaching staff to create a competitive advantage.

I was a little disappointed when Burgess didn't have conditioning to the same standard as his team of university educated coaching staff. The advantage of conditioning experts is that they are more into the technique of training and the sports application.

I have been disappointed to sometimes see sloppy technique in the gym and this means that they are science heavy and lighter on conditioning. Doesn't mean that what they are doing isn't world class.

But his approach was very good for Charlie Dixon. He did a lot of ladder and agility work which I felt strengthened what I used to see as flat feet on Chrlie Dixon. I think his emphasis on quick feet was a godsend for players who have ankle injuries. If the conditioning department is smart (and I think they are) they would have kept what worked and worked on what hasn't. Charlie is noticeably more buffed in the last season.

Young Taj on the other hand, with the dodgy ankles could do with a bit of the Burgess style training. It is horses for courses IMO.

Last edited:

Having gone back and tried to find some match stats for Lord from back in 2019, the matches I can find fill me with some confidence going forward.

Here’s some of his games from the 2019 APS league (plays for GGS for those that take a look). Considering some of the names he is playing against that have gone high in the draft the last year or two, it certainly gives us some confidence he was amongst the best in the 3/5 games which I can find stats.

Game 1 below; 2 goals and 2nd Best
Game 2; 2 goals and 3rd Best
Game 3; 1 goal and 5th best.

Some very decent names alongside him in those couple games he played as an underager in 2019.

0FCF22DB-D500-43A5-824D-58FE38988D36.jpeg 21129DC4-F490-44B8-978E-569081CD2558.jpeg 46D79D0D-D7D9-4740-B46A-9DBA57FECE2C.jpeg

He looks better than Marshall already.

Speaking of Marshall, Geoff Parker is quoted on the PAFC website as saying,

There’s no expectation he’ll play straight away but he can learn off Charlie Dixon and Todd Marshall and Mitch Georgiades.

Young Ollie can probably learn off of Charlie but from where I sit Todd still has a bit to learn himself and Mitch has only played 7 AFL games !

Having gone back and tried to find some match stats for Lord from back in 2019, the matches I can find fill me with some confidence going forward.

Here’s some of his games from the 2019 APS league (plays for GGS for those that take a look). Considering some of the names he is playing against that have gone high in the draft the last year or two, it certainly gives us some confidence he was amongst the best in the 3/5 games which I can find stats.

Game 1 below; 2 goals and 2nd Best
Game 2; 2 goals and 3rd Best
Game 3; 1 goal and 5th best.

Some very decent names alongside him in those couple games he played as an underager in 2019.

View attachment 1026247View attachment 1026248View attachment 1026249

O Lord dig it

My main concern is why Geelong didn't take him being under their noses?
But like his highlights and size so will see I guess.

Jeepers. I know they are highlights but they looked GOOD!

How was that pick up on the half volley.
Better than good... bodes well.

Thanks Ports for putting up what you saw and giving us something we can cling to Aliir Fantasia and our Lachie aside

All we need now is a successful Preliminary final coach who can nail it when it counts. A finals win every 3yrs doesn't cut it.

The paints are top notch but who's on the brush. Inb4 he gets 3 more yrs and i'm yawning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main concern is why Geelong didn't take him being under their noses?
But like his highlights and size so will see I guess.

If only GWS hadn't matched on Jeremy Cameron. That cost them heaps.

Anyway, they preferred this young fella from South Freo...

1607602137664.png

...so together with basketball guy Paul Tsapatolis who they got as a Cat B rookie, and Sam De Koning who they got last year, maybe Ollie Lord would be one young monster too many - even for Geelong.

Good for us, but.

If only GWS hadn't matched on Jeremy Cameron. That cost them heaps.

Anyway, they preferred this young fella from South Freo...

View attachment 1026290

...so together with basketball guy Paul Tsapatolis who they got as a Cat B rookie, and Sam De Koning who they got last year, maybe Ollie Lord would be one young monster too many - even for Geelong.

Good for us, but.

Is that Richard Kiel?

tumblr_4185b834f15fb83c765b5c0daf25470c_7a695407_500.gif
IsiwqvZ.gif

Very very happy with this pick. For a young KPP he naturally uses his body to protect the area where he is going to mark the ball. In a one on one marking contest when he is out of position he has these Dustin Fletch arms the somehow wind around and reach the ball and brings it to ground. He may well end up being an elite lock down defender. He was the one key forward I was really looking forward to watching in 2020. No football in 2020 helps us land Lord ar a very late pick

Very very happy with this pick. For a young KPP he naturally uses his body to protect the area where he is going to mark the ball. In a one on one marking contest when he is out of position he has these Dustin Fletch arms the somehow wind around and reach the ball and brings it to ground. He may well end up being an elite lock down defender. He was the one key forward I was really looking forward to watching in 2020. No football in 2020 helps us land Lord ar a very late pick
Who were you hoping we'd pick when our pick came round? Anyone else that you would have been keen on?

His highlights remind me of Jeremy Finlayson.

Watching the limited vision, what impresses me is the fact that he seems to have good spatial awareness of where he is on the field - when he marks the ball on the boundary, he isn't thinking 'I'll take a low percentage shot from here' but instead wheels around straight away and gets it in quickly to the hot spot. Also liked the effort he put in when he went into the ruck - it wasn't just jump and that's me done, but he provided an option for his teammates running forward. Great hands, seems to clunk the ball at the apex and use his height to his advantage.

Lord and Georgiades going kamikaze in the forward line with Marshall floating through as the third tall? Lob City here we come.

Tanner Bruhn looked like something he had been told would happen, didn't happen.
Where was he expected to go in the draft?

Knightmare's not convinced:

While Port Adelaide need to add to their long-term key position stocks, the selection of Oliver Lord, grandson of Alistair Lord, was a questionable decision. Lord averaged a pedestrian five disposals in 2019 and less than one mark per game and less than one goal every second game. The hope is with Lord being a high leaper and having good speed that he will develop, but without seeing his rate of improvement this year and having an early January birthday, the pick feels like a reach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back