Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** that is frightening!
Not being a prick but it must be nice after years of mediocrity to then become an absolute powerhouse and dynasty club.
Now have the chance to keep it going for years yet just as you'll probably need a little injection of young class.

As I said...Frightening!

The two first rounders will likely be very late though.

Interesting. Both fit Hawks needs, I would have taken McDonald if available but DGB looks a gun.
With Frawley,Stratton gone and with Sicily out with his knee reco he was our obvious choice.

In the coming years we will have a very attacking rebounding backline with Day, DGB, Sicily, and Scrimshaw.

I agree with people that say Blakey was a lucky break for us and he clearly was not what the Academies were setup for but just at the Swans guys like Heeney, Mills, Campbell and Gulden are all very likely players that would not be in the AFL right now if not for the academies, and that is who the academies is disigned to help.

Also for all the talk of how big an advantage the academies are I should point out that there has only been 1 player across 4 clubs that has been a Northern Academy member and has also won an All Australian, and that is Harris Andrews who was taken at a pick in the 60's. If a club bid on Andrews in the 20's or 30's then odds are Brisbane would not have even matched.
Harris Andrews was bid on in the 2nd rd but that was the year clubs got the player with their next available pick.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Essendon nailed the draft.

With Hately coming in and Parish, Langford and McGrath having heaps of scope for improvement, I think going big, mobile and skilled players was spot on.

Added to that, next year should be a ripper draft for mids, and with mids usually developing quicker than keys, getting the big guys first makes sense.
NOt exactly a difficult proposition when you have three consecutive picks.

Winner. North Melbourne comfortably the winner.

Second surprised to be saying this but Collingwood but not from their design! I thought a bid for McInnes came very late and it allowed them two really good prospects before that. Picked up some really good players after that as well.

Loser.

I hate saying who are the losers but GWS seemed to get every pick wrong. So easily GWS.

A lot of Bulldog fans were hoping for a small quick pressure forward, preferably an indigenous kid to pair with Marra but really Marra is a rolled gold gift. Dominic Bedendo has the second best name in the draft (a lot of us wanted Phoenix Spicer, damn you North).

I know people say Adelaide reached with Peddlar but their last first round 'reach' was Doedee and they've been proven correct with that one, he might captain the club.
Sydney deserve mention for picking up McDonald who many people thought should have been pick 1, then getting their two academy kids. Their fans should be over the moon.

Wasn’t Gallucci a reach?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Hately coming in and Parish, Langford and McGrath having heaps of scope for improvement, I think going big, mobile and skilled players was spot on.

Added to that, next year should be a ripper draft for mids, and with mids usually developing quicker than keys, getting the big guys first makes sense.

Are they going full rebuild?

Big ask to contribute to the current core. In the short term

GWS Giants were the big loser for me their first five picks were originally before bids 10, 13, 15, 20 & 26 they actually selected their first five players at the picks 12, 15, 18, 58 & 59 even though they did some deals and picked up future picks. There was some strange pick logic from a few teams and some quality players left on the table, i was happiest for Zane Trew because i thought what Peter Sumich said went too far and it was even sweeter when West Coast were the team to land him in the rookie after he was called a bit sookie. (Could not resist the rhyme)

Caldwell not Hately, but I agree.
Are they going full rebuild?

Big ask to contribute to the current core. In the short term
Not a full scale rebuild, but more of a list refresh.

Our core is still fairly young. Caldwell, Parish, McGrath, Mosquito, Draper, Merrett, Langford and Ridley are all 25 and under. We'd be looking at having a competitive side when these players are around 29-26. Makes sense to support them with KPPs + Perkins who are ready to play at AFL level in 3-4 years.
Load up on mids in a strong draft next year and we've set ourselves for sustained success rather than topping up.

If the foxtel draft coverage taught me anything, every club drafted well and every player is a future superstar.
Just on my comment.
It was frustrating, but the one that really got me was the 3rd round player (dont even ask who it was, I was dumfounded when I saw it) had in the coverage "Plays like Scott Pendelbury"

IF HE PLAYS LIKE SCOTT PENDELBURY, ADELAIDE WOULDN'T HAVE WASTED THE TIME BIDDING ON JUH AND WOULD'VE TAKEN HIM NUMBER 1.

If he slipped to the 3rd, I think it's safe to say they're nothing alike.

GWS Giants were the big loser for me their first five picks were originally before bids 10, 13, 15, 20 & 26 they actually selected their first five players at the picks 12, 15, 18, 58 & 59 even though they did some deals and picked up future picks. There was some strange pick logic from a few teams and some quality players left on the table, i was happiest for Zane Trew because i thought what Peter Sumich said went too far and it was even sweeter when West Coast were the team to land him in the rookie after he was called a bit sookie. (Could not resist the rhyme)
That future Collingwood pick 'could' be a top 10 pick if it takes time for the new players to gel and after losing some blue chip players..that gamble by GWS if it comes off could get them a very good player next year.

Collingwood have Daicos so that softens any blow of losing a possible top 10 pick and they grabbed some great kids in this draft - Poulter was a steal at the pick they got him at imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on my comment.
It was frustrating, but the one that really got me was the 3rd round player (dont even ask who it was, I was dumfounded when I saw it) had in the coverage "Plays like Scott Pendelbury"

IF HE PLAYS LIKE SCOTT PENDELBURY, ADELAIDE WOULDN'T HAVE WASTED THE TIME BIDDING ON JUH AND WOULD'VE TAKEN HIM NUMBER 1.

Was Jack Carroll.

I think he kind of does play like Pendlebury, but the same comparisons were made about Harley Balic and Patrick Karnezis in their draft years (similar draft range too IIRC) and doesn't necessarily predict the players making it as AFL players.

It's part and parcel of overrating of draft prospects and Fox footy needing to fill their 3 and half hour commentary quota.

Just on my comment.

TBF when they say they play like a certain player, it's usually because they have stylistic similarites rather than being of a similar quality. Which in fairness isn't all that well spelt out.

Just on my comment.

Just once I'd like to see something like "Plays like David McKay" or similar.

TBF when they say they play like a certain player, it's usually because they have stylistic similarites rather than being of a similar quality. Which in fairness isn't all that well spelt out.

So they should put in more detail. Footskills of Scott Pendelbury, mans up like Cale Morton.

Some interesting takes on who "won".

Richmond supporters pointing to their pairs of 2021 picks in each round as a big win but they are all likely to be at the end of rounds, not exactly a bag full of blue chips.

Collingwood took a stack of players in this draft, but if Daicos is as good as touted, at this stage they don't even have the points to match pick 3 without a deficit.

Essendon supporters "loading up" on mids next year, only have their first rounder and next pick way out in the 40s, not likely to be "loading up" and will burn picks if they try again for Dunkley

So too early to call winners, lists are built over several drafts and trade periods, not just one.

All good, I just found it weird that you
Essendon need talls.

Essendon took talls.

Not sure how it's weird. We'll have a top 5 pick in a draft with supposedly better quality mids next year.
I wonder if we would have copped it if we took mids? I’m guessing yes.

“Hurley and Hooker are about to retire and you just lost Joe, crazy doodoo at it again!!!”

Just once I'd like to see something like "Plays like David McKay" or similar.

There was one draftee in the 20-30 range compared to Josh Corbett.

Pretty sure Brayden Cook was compared to Sam Lloyd too.

I remember when Melbourne won the 2007 draft with Cale Morton at 4, Grimes at 14 and Addam Maric at 21. Good times.

fu** that is frightening!
Not being a prick but it must be nice after years of mediocrity to then become an absolute powerhouse and dynasty club.
Now have the chance to keep it going for years yet just as you'll probably need a little injection of young class.

As I said...Frightening!

It's nice, but unless Geelong drop off hugely they won't be gold plated picks. However, if 2021 has a bunch of 2020 kids that are late developers then it could be quite deep. So an opportunity to build more depth into the squad.

Was a bit shocked at getting another ruck this year. I understand why, but still surprised.

Otherwise reckon the Tigers are looking at the Supp draft for some kids with high potential to try out and maybe pick up. Low risk and potentially high reward. It'll be interesting to see if some clubs find good players outside of the normal draft entirely this off season. Quite a few guys with no exposed form who have talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back