Player Watch #32 Samson Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Samson could be our best ruck in time. If him and CCJ come on next year Chols (24 in Jan) position could be a little tentative from a list profile position. Would loike to see him play back.

I know the club as early April 2019 rated CCJ as a future 10 year key fwd player who can also ruck. Not sure where things are at 18 months later today.

Chol needs to bed down a position.

Watching him again , he looks a cross between max Gawn and Tom lynch , fair dinkum if this comes off it may well be the greatest heist since the great bookie robbery

I reckon Soldo was brilliant. Really added to our team. With Nank was an amazing ruck combo. Allowed us to dominate contests and control the game.
Soldo has been great alongside Nank. I thought losing him was a massive loss for the side.

Hardwick likes two rucks too lately. Looked a bit awkward with Astbury/Broad

Broad was last in , too. Quite recently dropped from the 22 - only came back due to Soldo opening up a spot iirc
I think Broad will be squeezed out when CJ is available. Or if Ryan is ready early, we might get an early look at him. I'm a bit surprised Broad stayed

I think Broad will be squeezed out when CJ is available. Or if Ryan is ready early, we might get an early look at him. I'm a bit surprised Broad stayed
Why would Broad be squeezed out by CJ? Ones a defender and the other a Ruck forward. Broad will not play a ruck role regularly just in an emergency situation.

Samson will play VFL, or whatever the new competition is called. I think there are 223.76 teams playing 14 rounds in 12 conferences with a brand new set of rules. Sounds 'exciting'

Anyway, he'll get development from the best ruck development coach around, and contender for the world's greatest mullet.

1607659978964.png

Why would Broad be squeezed out by CJ? Ones a defender and the other a Ruck forward. Broad will not play a ruck role regularly just in an emergency situation.
Broad & Lynch came back in for the Saints semi. Broad after a month out, . Chol omitted. Astbury & Balta played ruck minutes that game. And we didn't see 2 ruckmen selected again. Balta & Lynch pinch hitting. I think when we go for back up ruck again like CJ in Round 5 if not earlier, Balta will play move back to KPD meaning no room for Broad.

His averages playing for Lions Academy last year:
Hit outs - 25.8
Disposals - 10.4 (5.8 Kicks, 4.6 Handballs)
Tackles - 1.4
Clearances - 3

Also his running vertical leap is pretty impressive:
Running Vertical Jump (R/L) – 72cm/71cm
His marks just go C L U N K that’s what impresses me

Soldo has been great alongside Nank. I thought losing him was a massive loss for the side.
'Alongside' is an interesting word. Cos I reckon they both play better when they are the main ruck. When they both play their TOGs are quite low. 2019 Soldo really came on when he had solo ruck duties. 2020 for Ivan wasn't as good. But 2020 Nank really hit form after the Lions finals loss when he solo rucked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good to hear. I can't be bothered watching a full QAFL game oops just noticed a highlights package. Smokey for debut round 1?
I don’t think there’s any screaming hurry , never know , he is 20 , so is starting to put some meat on them bones

I don’t think there’s any screaming hurry , never know , he is 20 , so is starting to put some meat on them bones

If Nank gets a niggle can't see any reason why he couldn't step in, he's a good size, height and weight wise
Ryan and Chol are adequate for our side if Nank is unavailable

Hit outs - 25.8
Tackles - 1.4
Clearances - 3

if he could replicate those numbers at senior level he’ll be very handy

If Nank gets a niggle can't see any reason why he couldn't step in, he's a good size, height and weight wise
Ryan and Chol are adequate for our side if Nank is unavailable
The question mark for mine about him stepping in for R1 is endurance. He will have to get around the ground a bit quicker too so hopefully his tank is almost at afl level with 3 months to go.

If not, god help us with Chol

Samson will play VFL, or whatever the new competition is called. I think there are 223.76 teams playing 14 rounds in 12 conferences with a brand new set of rules. Sounds 'exciting'

Anyway, he'll get development from the best ruck development coach around, and contender for the world's greatest mullet.

View attachment 1026527
Geez I thought we were gonna win when he kicked that goal in the elim final

What makes Broad so perfect for us is his predictability. He is so reliable and the players know exactly what he will do. He is a lock for all 2021

Hit outs - 25.8
Tackles - 1.4
Clearances - 3

General Lee MKII
1607675435753.png

Bigoa Nyuon might be played as a flank or mid too
I personally think Biggy will be groomed to play the Grimes role in the future and we will take our time with his development

He has the agility , speed , height , reach to play that role to perfection and with Astbury & Grimes there for the next 2 years he will have the best development to give him a real chance to do this. Also Miller if he develops into that CHB role our defence will be set for the future - Big 'If's but we can only hope

Watching him again , he looks a cross between max Gawn and Tom lynch , fair dinkum if this comes off it may well be the greatest heist since the great bookie robbery

Geez, that's a big call - perhaps you meant you can some traits from those guys? Granted I've only watched the first qtr of that QAFL game at beautiful Sherwood Oval (it's usually a much better looking ground than that), but his strength in the boundary throw in was a little disappointing. That said, he seems super eager (like Gawn), and you cant teach that! I think the Lions were going to take him, likened him a bit to Oscar who also played as a Rookie for few years in Brisbane after being recruited from Casey Demons.

That we went this mature says to me there might be a little bit of a concern with Nank still. He has the heart of a lion, wills himself into a contest, but that can't conquer the body breaking down. I would suggest the brains trust liked what they got from Balta GD day. They saw how much better he played down back after he had a couple of stints in the Ruck that day. Some players need that injection of intensity, I know I did, could labor along all day at FB, but give me a go up the ground for 5 mins and suddenly I'd be running off a lazy arse full forward and giving and getting the bloody pill. That's a bit like what we got from Balta in the 3-5 min spell on the ball at the end of the quarter when we needed something. His shut down after that was great, his run off Hipwood was really good AND he had more on-ball time after that.

I think that our wild card in 2021 - is CCJ. How does he respond? There is a massive hole to fill and he only has to work as hard as before and will jump right up the pecking order.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back